Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I bet you didn't know that this thread would have a part 2

Comments

Entering any room to look for my specs. At least 20% of the time I'll wander back out having lost the train of thought completely!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

You probably know, recently was the Chinese New Year, starting the Year of the Pig.

The Year of the Pig symbolizes wealth and good luck, but not only in the Chinese horoscope but in many cultures. In Germany for example you’ll get a little pink marzipan pig for New Year, sometimes adorned with a four-leaved clover (symbol of luck) or a little black card-board chimney sweep (likewise symbol of luck).

The sentiment is understandable. In the not so good old times it was a sign of good luck if you still had a pig to make pork in the middle of winter. Until today it’s an usual saying in German “Schwein gehabt”, translated as “have got pig”, meaning, I was lucky or had a lucky escape. Or you would know the famous piggy bank, a reserve fund for hard times.

The pig was first domesticated about 8000 years ago in Mesopotamia. It was especially appreciated in Iran, Palestine and Egypt – that was before Islam by the way. It not only provided meat but was used to cultivate fields because it was always digging up the soil.
    Only when the Hebrews moved into this area, who as semi-nomads couldn’t rear pigs (pigs are very domestic after all), the consumption of pork was dismissed because the animals were seen as possessed by impure spirits. Which wasn’t that wrong because the pig carried and still carries diseases that could kill humans. The Islamic peoples later adopted these rules and made it a law according to the Quran.

For the old Germanic peoples the pig was a ritual meal (and sacrifice) in honour of the Earth Mother and the fertility demons. And they served as a kind of barometer: If pigs started to carry straw into their sty you could count on rain and bad weather.

Now the Christian Church as per usual didn’t like all this Pagan nonsense. They spread the rumour that pigs are the mounts, or riding animals, of witches and devils and that cursed souls (like female adulterers) would be transformed into pigs.The pig therefore wasn't honoured anymore, but dismissed as the most inferior animal (beside cats).
    Somehow the poor pig got a bad reputation under any monotheistic religion.

Anyway, the original Caribs didn’t eat pork, because they believed, that eating pork would give them small eyes. They weren’t all that wrong. Pigs have a similar tissue structure as humans and that’s why porcine cardiac valves are (or were, I’m not up to date) used as tissue tolerant implants for humans. Humans and pigs are very similar, in many (genetic) ways.

But for all the luck that pigs provide for humans, it was the downfall of the pig. This highly intelligent animal was finally so overbred that it carries potentially even more diseases than the original breed.
    Not only is it fed and mistreated in tiny stys were it can hardly move and reaches it’s slaughter age after around 175 days (around 1700 it was after 5 years and in freedom), it is injected with so many antibiotics that the impact on human health is immense.
    Apart from that the farmers administer psychotropic drugs, because of their appalling living conditions the pigs start to eat the tails off each other. They get hormones as well to artificially swell the meat, which means that your pork chop shrivels when frying. Not to forget the beta-blockers they get, because they suffer from immense stress in their lives. And a pig that dies of a heart attack is of no use for a pig farmer.
    The chemical content in pork is surely a delight for humans, isn’t it?

So the Chinese Year of the Pig should not only be celebrated for good luck and wealth for us humans, but maybe for at least a better life for the pigs as well.

This is a quickly translated summery of a feature article I’ve intensively researched, written and published as a young journalist. I’ve never eaten pork ever since.

Candie wrote: »
    Entering any room to look for my specs. At least 20% of the time I'll wander back out having lost the train of thought completely!

Gosh, I know that feeling! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,616 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

On pigs/pork.....

I remember my mum telling me that, in her day, you could never eat pork unless there was an ‘r’ in the month. Bit like oysters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,268 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I've heard it repeated many times that the main reason that the desert people who founded the Jewish and Islamic faiths forbade the consumption of pork is down to the fact that it's apparently indistinguishable from human flesh in terms of taste and texture...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Sleepy wrote: »
    I've heard it repeated many times that the main reason that the desert people who founded the Jewish and Islamic faiths forbade the consumption of pork is down to the fact that it's apparently indistinguishable from human flesh in terms of taste and texture...

Archaeological evidence shows that pigs were kept and eaten from 5000bc to 1000bc but that their consumption had died out before the old testament 'decrees' against pig flesh. It's thought to have been replaced by chicken when many of the people of the area adopted a more nomadic lifestyle in areas with less abundant water supplies. Keeping pigs requires more husbandry and more water than fowl which provides the same protein.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I thought it had to do with tape worm, if you undercook pork you can have a nice long visitor in your intestine.

On pigs/pork.....

I remember my mum telling me that, in her day, you could never eat pork unless there was an ‘r’ in the month. Bit like oysters.

Plenty still say so. It seems to stem from an era before refrigeration, when pork would spoil in the summer months.

Plenty still say so. It seems to stem from an era before refrigeration, when pork would spoil in the summer months.

Likewise shellfish is considerd an abomination, desert regions back in the day weren’t known for their refrigeration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Ipso wrote: »
    I thought it had to do with tape worm, if you undercook pork you can have a nice long visitor in your intestine.
    Doesn’t the word pork share a root with orc (linking tonwhat was said about evil spirits)? I think this is also where Orca for Killer Whales comes from.

If you undercook pork that is infected with Trichinella spiralis you can develop something called Trichinosis. Pretty nasty apparently.

Doesn’t the word pork share a root with orc (linking tonwhat was said about evil spirits)? I think this is also where Orca for Killer Whales comes from.

Orc comes from Latin orcus meaning the underworld.
    Orca is from old Latin for a whale or cask and is sometimes associated with Orcus or underworld but it's more obscure and uncertain as to the authenticity of the link.

Pork originates from porcus as just meaning a young pig. There's no link to orc or orcus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

If you undercook pork that is infected with Trichinella spiralis you can develop something called Trichinosis. Pretty nasty apparently.

And apparently way less common than it used to be. Vanishingly rare in Europe and North America, so that the advice that you have to cook the absolute bejesus out of pork no longer applies. It's fine to have it a little bit less well done (and way, way tastier).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

And apparently way less common than it used to be. Vanishingly rare in Europe and North America, so that the advice that you have to cook the absolute bejesus out of pork no longer applies. It's fine to have it a little bit less well done (and way, way tastier).

Practically unknown in Australia so that is probably a safer bet for your rare pork chop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭KevRossi

The German army use* pigs to test out new ammunition. The wounds inflicted on pigs flesh and muscle is very similar to those inflicted on humans with the same ammunition.

The pigs are of a certain breed and are masted differently to ensure that the layers of fat are not too thick.

Up until the early 1990's they were doing this, I think 11,000 pigs a year were killed on average. Mates of mine in Germany saw this during their military service. I've no idea if they still use them.

Edit: Article here in Der Spiegel from 1984, there's a picture of the cover of the magazine beside it - nothing changed much in 35 years!

Any way it seems they used dogs, rabbits, poultry and much more besides.

http://www.spiegel.de/spiegel/print/d-13510104.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Practically unknown in Australia so that is probably a safer bet for your rare pork chop.

It's practically unknown here now too (I'm in the US). The USDA recommends cooking it medium (slightly pink), and most chefs cook it medium rare. There are less than 100 cases a year of trichonosis, most of which are caused by game, not pork. In other words it's statistically insignificant, in the realm of winning the lottery twice in the year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

289579.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

On the subject of Terminator (1984)....

The fantastic theme music was written and performed by composer Brad Fiedel. To create the iconic clangs of the film’s percussive theme, Fiedel recorded samples of himself banging frying pans together and then layered in synth melodies underneath using Prophet 10 and Oberheim analog synthesizers. While blending the two together, Fiedel looped the rhythmic clangs a split second off the foundational synth melody, and made a propulsive theme that was slightly off. When he put together sheet music for the score he later found that his little mistake made the time signature of the theme into an impossible 13/16 at three plus three plus three plus two plus two. When he would complete the score for the sequel, Fiedel made things a little more plausible and used an updated 6/8 time signature.

Schwarzenegger only has 58 spoken words throughout the entire movie. Technically, The Terminator says more than Arnie's 17 sentences, but one is an overdubbed voice of a cop, and the other is in Sarah Connor's mother's voice, when the Terminator was trying to trick her.

James Cameron says that he got the idea when he had a nightmare of a metallic figure coming out of a fire. However, a writer for the TV series "The Outer Limits" said that Terminator was a ripoff of an episode he wrote in 1964 titled "Soldier" and that was an adaptation of his own short story from 1957 called "Soldier From Tomorrow." Ellison and Orion Pictures came to an out of court settlement for an undisclosed amount of money.

The studio originally wanted Kyle Reese to have a robot dog as a sidekick in the movie.

The studio also wanted OJ Simpson to play The Terminator. Cameron rubbished this idea because he thought he comes off as being too nice to play a remorseless killer.

Sting was offered the role of Kyle Reese, but was committed to star in David Lynch's Dune so that never happened. Bruce Springsteen was one name bandied about, even though he had no acting experience.

Arnie wanted to change the line "I'll be back" because he wasn't able to pronounce "I'll" properly. He suggested he say "I will be back" but Cameron shot this down. They did ten takes and used the best "I'll be back."

The scenes in the movie where Linda Hamilton is running to escape the Terminator were shot last. This was because she broke her ankle before shooting.

If you own an Apple II, and you enter "] call -151 *" p at the basic prompt, you get The Terminator's view.

The Polish word for "terminator" translates to "apprentice." The name of the movie was changed to "The Electronic Murderer" for Polish viewers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

KevRossi wrote: »
    The German army use* pigs to test out new ammunition. The wounds inflicted on pigs flesh and muscle is very similar to those inflicted on humans with the same ammunition.
    In Sweden they used pigs to train surgeons to deal with bullet wounds.

Pig was anaesthetised, then shot, then operated on.

They did not resuscitate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,624 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

In Sweden they used pigs to train surgeons to deal with bullet wounds.

Pig was anaesthetised, then shot, then operated on.

They did not resuscitate.
    Pigs heart valves can be, and have been, used as replacement valves for humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭KevRossi

This is the Bertliet T100, built in 1958 and the largest truck in the world at the time. It was twice as wide (5.00m) and twice as long as the largest truck at the time and was designed for use in the Algerian oil fields. It was efficitvely the first attempt at building one of those mega dumpers that you see in mines today.

It was so big that they could not find a typical power steering motor large enough to drive the power steering so they just stuck in a 1.8l car engine instead to do that job.

They only built 4, they were experimental, but by the time they had decided on building more, Algeria had won independence.

Pics here give an idea of it's size.

The trucks in the back are standard trucks, neither small nor far away.

berlie10.jpg

51c5e03ba1e95cd07a8924f8ec8f19a7.jpg

1abcc7955f404dbef5ebc98b8dace981.jpg

And here's rare footage of one driving on a standard road, on its way to a trade fair in the USA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The driver’s cabin is ridiculous, it’s as big as a bus! At least they copped it was unnecessary in the later monster trucks that you see in the giant quarries.

The Chipko Andolan was a conservation and social movement that spread rapidly from Uttarakhand, by word of mouth, throughout India in the mid-1970's, aimed at preventing deforestation by government supported logging.

Thousands of independent actions successfully prevented widespread deforestation, and the movement was mainly powered by rural women (men were also involved) desperately trying to protect the forests from which they gleaned the fuel and animal fodder crucial to their survival. As the movement grew, it also gave a platform for rural women to voice social concerns and is credited with changing the perception and status of women in some of the most isolated parts of the vast country.

The tactic was simple, as the machinery moved in the women would surround the trees and simply refuse to move until the loggers gave up. Chipko is a Hindi word meaning embrace - as the women embraced the trees in non-violent protest inspired the passive resistance (satyagraha) used by Monhandas Ghandi in the fight for Indian independence, leading to the felling ban instigated by Mrs Ghandi in the early 80's.

The photos of the women with their arms wrapped around the trees in the Western press led to the coining of the phrase 'tree hugger'.

The two roadways that form the Dublin quays and run along the north and south banks of the River Liffey have several different names. However, all but three of the names (Swift's Row, Bachelors Walk and Usher's Island) share the same "Quay" designation.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

:pac:

34521.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

The first movie to release a soundtrack was Snow White and the Seven Dwarves.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Adriana Caselotti was Snow White's singing voice.

Her contract stated that she was never allowed to play another role again or make public appearances.

As an addendum to my pig story further up and as an addition to artists in general I want to introduce you to Pigcasso, the pig that paints and even sells its paintings:

https://pigcasso.org/gallery/

Even Swatch designed an arty watch after Pigcasso's work.

And you have to admit, that Pigcasso's paintings are comparable to many a modern human artist's output.

mzungu wrote: »
    The first movie to release a soundtrack was Snow White and the Seven Dwarves.

Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.

They feel happy in bed, but then happy gets out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

mzungu wrote: »
    "Spaghetto" is the singular word for "Spaghetti."

Spaghetti was also the subject of one of the most famous April Fools jokes of all time. In 1957 the BBC Panorama program did a three minute segment on the Spaghetti harvest in Ticino on the Swiss / Italian border.

After the program, people contacted the BBC to see where they could buy a spaghetti tree. They were told stick some spaghetti in a tin of tomatoes and hope for the best. :D

The most expensive shoes ever bought were a pair of the Ruby Slippers worn by Judy Garland in The Wizard of Oz, one of several pairs. They sold for $660,000 to a private collector in 2001. The other pairs are in museums or private collections, bar one which went missing and are presumed stolen. They're probably in someones private collection too at this stage.

The estimated value of the boots that Neil Armstrong was wearing when he made that small step for man is in the 100's of millions, but unless someone manages to track them down, it's moot. They're floating in space, since bringing them back to Earth was considered a contamination risk.

Us humans can't seem to do anything without littering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

The most expensive shoes ever bought were a pair of the Ruby Slippers worn by Judy Garland in The Wizard of Oz, one of several pairs. They sold for $660,000 to a private collector in 2001. The other pairs are in museums or private collections, bar one which went missing and are presumed stolen. They're probably in someones private collection too at this stage.

The estimated value of the boots that Neil Armstrong was wearing when he made that small step for man is in the 100's of millions, but unless someone manages to track them down, it's moot. They're floating in space, since bringing them back to Earth was considered a contamination risk.

Us humans can't seem to do anything without littering.
    Isint the missing pair the pair that was found 6 months ago? https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-us-canada-45411765

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

I did not know that! :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Not quite C. They're sitting on the moon. Well the overboots are(they attached on top of the built in boot). Along with the bulky backpacks and a few other items they were left behind after the EVA/moon walk because of weight/space savings, the rest of their suits came back with them. When they pushed their gear outside the seismometer they left on the moon to record moon quakes picked up the thumps when they landed. When Neil heard this he radioed back that you can't get away with anything. :) Their suits that they did come back with were covered in dust from the moon's surface.

armstrong_suit_full2_590.jpg.CROP.original-original.jpg

The moon dust was a bit of a problem. It's very fine and it got everywhere and caused some astronauts lung irritation. The lunar spacesuits were used until Skylab in the 1970's. With few enough changes along the way, the biggest came when they flew with the moon rover buggy and the suits needed to be changed so they could stay outside for longer and that they could bend more at the waist so they could sit in their car.

Moon boyracer. Earlier.

apollo-17_8.jpg

At one point when a mudguard snapped they fixed it with gaffer tape. Of course they did. There is no record of WD-40 being used on the moon, which comes as a shock. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The Moon Buggy or Lunar Rover Vehicle was a trick bit of kit.

Apollo-15-Abandoned-Moon-Buggy-aka-Lunar-Roving-Vehicle.jpg

It was designed to fold up into one of the spaces on the side of the main lander/engine assembly. It only weighed 200 kilos and could carry 500 kilos, both figures were less in the Moon's 1'6th gravity. Made mostly from aluminium with double wishbone independent suspension(nice). Electrically powered so the Nissan Leaf folks will approve, with motors driving each wheel(about a couple of horsepower all in), with a range of around 90 Kms. Though they never went nearly that far as safety concerns kept them within emergency walking distance in case it broke down. Steered by a T shaped joystick, left hand drive, cos America and the mission commander usually did the driving. Top speed just over 15 kms per hour. When they came home each astronaut involved got an "official" Moon driving licence made up by the guys and gals who built them. Which is kinda cool. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Probably an automatic too.

It had a reverse gear too. Dunno if they ever used it though.

Wibbs wrote: »
    There is no record of WD-40 being used on the moon, which comes as a shock. :D

When my Russian friend talked about using WD40, I thought it was some kind of supplement.

• Advertisement

WD40 it's a water dispersant. Back then they didn't know there was water on the moon.

Wibbs wrote: »
    The moon dust was a bit of a problem. It's very fine and it got everywhere and caused some astronauts lung irritation.
    Mars would be the same. It's further from the Sun so even at equator on a clear day it would be dull. In a dust storm it would be quite dark.

Seasonal affective disorder would be a thing.

And you'd need a larger can of WD40, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Espresso coffee is not related to the term express as in fast but rather to the Italian for pressed-out coffee. Hot water is forced under high pressure through ground coffee beans to produce an espresso.

Although in English, express is sometimes used to mean press out, I always assumed it was related to fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Likewise shellfish is considerd an abomination, desert regions back in the day weren’t known for their refrigeration.

Surprisingly enough, refrigeration was a thing as far back as 2,500 years ago in Persia. They built these huge mud construction conical towers called Yakchals, connected up to under ground aquafers.
    Their shape funnelled air downwards over the walls of the tower and as it descended it was chilled by the evaporation of the water from the mud, it eventually pooled in an underground store (some of which were quite enormous - think 5000 cubic metres) resulting in temperatures inside being comparable to a modern day fridge, even in the height of the Persian summer. Year round ice was even possible in some cases.
    Some of the structures are still standing after hundreds of years. In fact the word Yakchal today just means fridge in that part of the world kind of like hoover means vacuum cleaner here.

Yakhchal_of_Yazd_province.jpg

That looks a bit like the base of the Tower of Babel. :)

• Advertisement

Meanwhile, in present-day Iran it's legal to sell your kidney. The walls of the streets around the hospitals are graffiti'd with the blood types and telephone numbers of people willing to sell a kidney to escape crushing poverty. There is a thriving market in the organs of children (mainly girls) sold in private transactions by their own parents.

The government hails the success of the Organ Gifting Act and credits it with eradicating the waiting list within two years of its passing in 1997. The government offers incentives to 'donate' including the equivalent of about $1,000 and a years free medical insurance that's limited to issues arising from the surgery, and the donors family is expected to either stump up a similar amount or more, or one of the transplant 'charities' will make a further 'donation' on their behalf. The charities sometimes act as brokers for people looking to buy or sell. The sky is the limit when it comes to private transactions for the wealthy, and the vast population of poor people who's desperation is ripe for exploitation.

Unsurprisingly, the WHO and Amnesty Int are vehemently opposed to the practice of incentivized donating, pointing to the many abuses of a system that already exploits desperately poor people simply by working as it's intended to.

New Home wrote: »
    That looks a bit like the base of the Tower of Babel. :)
    More like the bottle tower or the wonderful barn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Vita nova wrote: »
    Espresso coffee is not related to the term express as in fast but rather to the Italian for pressed-out coffee. Hot water is forced under high pressure through ground coffee beans to produce an espresso.

Although in English, express is sometimes used to mean press out, I always assumed it was related to fast.

Expressing milk?

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Vita nova

368100 wrote: »
    Expressing milk?

Indeed, that's espresso for babies.

189738.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement