Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to look for photographer?

• 02-11-2020 1:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

When looking for a photographer what 'resources' are the most popular? Word of mouth recommendations would be the highest I'd presume.
    From magazines, websites etc. which ones do people use, would you recommend?
    Any other areas you'd look at- e.g. flyer in a hair dresser, wedding dress shop etc.?

Thanks,
    Pa.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

There's a lot listed here:
    https://www.weddingsonline.ie/suppliers/wedding-photographers

Your venue might recommend a photographer.

We also asked around our married friends too for recommendations. We also found that when we contacted certain photographers that had been recommended, if they weren't available themselves, they'd make recommendations too.

Make sure to check out their website and see if you like their style. Think about if you want off the cuff documentary style photos or more formal portraits or a mix of both.

Google extensively for online reviews. Some people have been badly caught out by not researching their photographers properly.

Once you have a short list, get in touch and ask to see an album capturing a full day. Anyone can have a couple of dozen nice shots of a day on their website, but it's important to see that they have consistently good quality photos throughout the day. There was one person we were very serious about hiring until we saw one of her full albums (it was a very dull day and a lot of harsh flashes were used indoors - it literally looked like about half of the photos were taken at night, when it was still the middle of the afternoon. Of course none of those photos featured on her website). We also asked if they are familiar with our particular venue and asked to see photos they've taken there.

We also chatted to a couple of them on the phone before making a decision. If you're hiring them for the whole day, you want to make sure they're sound! And we had a LOT of questions for them too. I can try to dig them up if you like. The photos are important to us, so we spent a lot of time and effort researching photographers before making a decision.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi all,

When looking for a photographer what 'resources' are the most popular? Word of mouth recommendations would be the highest I'd presume.
    From magazines, websites etc. which ones do people use, would you recommend?
    Any other areas you'd look at- e.g. flyer in a hair dresser, wedding dress shop etc.?

Thanks,
    Pa.

Hi Pa,
    Long time no see :-)
    If I'm not mistaken you're looking for resources to list yourself.
    Forget print magazines and newspaper ads - waste of time.
    Flyers in local venues, hairdressers, wedding dress shops etc are worthwhile.
    There's a couple of free groups on FB which are swamped with photographers and they're a real race to the bottom in terms of prices.
    Weddings Online is ok and can generate a lot of enquiries. They also have their own FB page which is pretty busy. That one is going to cost €x each month depending on the package.
    Word of mouth is a biggy but it's Catch 22. You need to get a start before you can get recommendations.
    The big wedding fairs can be good but they're not going to happen again anytime soon and they are wicked expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi Pa,
    Long time no see :-)
    If I'm not mistaken you're looking for resources to list yourself.
    Forget print magazines and newspaper ads - waste of time.
    Flyers in local venues, hairdressers, wedding dress shops etc are worthwhile.
    There's a couple of free groups on FB which are swamped with photographers and they're a real race to the bottom in terms of prices.
    Weddings Online is ok and can generate a lot of enquiries. They also have their own FB page which is pretty busy. That one is going to cost €x each month depending on the package.
    Word of mouth is a biggy but it's Catch 22. You need to get a start before you can get recommendations.
    The big wedding fairs can be good but they're not going to happen again anytime soon and they are wicked expensive.

Hi,
    Thanks for that. Ya, you're correct. I have my website- http://patrickdinneen.ie/ but want to know where to put marketing effort & resources. I've been onto weddings online & will try them out. Hopefully it'll generate some interest and weddings. Fingers crossed.
    Cheers,
    Pa.

Advertisement