Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

~05 x5 or Discovery?

Options
  • 28-02-2020 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭

Looking to buy either a x5 or discovery in or around 2005.
    Any strong opinions which would typically be the more reliable?
    Any horror stories for either?
    Tia

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,389 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

We had a Disco with 60kkm of easy driving done (no towbar) which had air suspension failure, needed new pump and some sensors. Was under warranty but that sort of thing isn’t uncommon.
    Either of those cars will be very high maintenance. I’d probably prefer the X5 but they both have the potential to ruin you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

My cousin owns a BMW independent garage and he warned me off getting an X5 when I brought it up with him, he said they're seriously tough on tyres and on suspension parts. He has one, a 4.8 litre petrol.
    Just due to weight. I asked him were range rover sports any better and he said they're even worse, I assume a disco is the same.
    So I just got another 5 series and happy I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

Both of those will be expensive to run & maintain. The X5 is nicer on the road but not as good off road. I would say it might be easier to find a well maintained Discovery than an X5, as they seem to be more neglected in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭freddieot

I had a 2015 X5 from new and will never ever buy a BMW again.

EGR failed
    Boost pipe had to be replaced.
    TPMS Valve also had to be replaced.

All not completely unheard off in other makes but at 58,000km (3.5 years old) ? I've owned quite a few different makes since I started driving in 1979. The last car that gave me 'almost' as much trouble as the X5 was a 1980 Renault 20.

If you are thinking of buying one that is ten years older than that then I genuinely hope you have better luck than I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

freddieot wrote: »
    I had a 2015 X5 from new and will never ever buy a BMW again.

EGR failed
    Boost pipe had to be replaced.
    TPMS Valve also had to be replaced.

All not completely unheard off in other makes but at 58,000km (3.5 years old) ? I've owned quite a few different makes since I started driving in 1979. The last car that gave me 'almost' as much trouble as the X5 was a 1980 Renault 20.

If you are thinking of buying one that is ten years older than that then I genuinely hope you have better luck than I did.

My thinking is if it lasted 15 years then it might have a lot of that stuff sorted out!
    It would be doing less than 100 miles a week and occasional bit of trailer work.
    Was looking at a touareg there the weekend so that might be another option, and maybe a bit more reliable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Even though the x5 will be peanuts to buy , Ive a garage next door and he had a lad get rid of the x5 after needing so much work done A 2007 one. Likewise a Audi Q7 n2007 now owner has had to get so many jobs done and is now getting it back and ditching it , if going for older car and you do low mileage, I’d get a petrol , that would fit a start cut down on issues !

Would you consider a 2.5L x3 if you could find one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I can’t speak for Discos but I’ve had 3 X5’s through the years. I’m driving a 06 now for the last year. I’ve never had any hassle with any of them outside of the usual service items with a car that age.

Change the oil regularly and service them with OE parts and they’ll serve you well just like any car. You can be unlucky of course but that can happen with any make.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 andrew1300r

I have a 2007 X5 Dynamic 7 seater for last 4 years & its been brilliant. 261km on her now & going up for sale shortly.Massive service history with it ( main reason i bought it) & I think it still looks great in black with runnung boards & 20inch alloys. Only problem in 4 yrs was electronic handbrake broke on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

The brother had a 05 x5 for 6 years trouble free except for a burst airbag in the suspension. He minded it pretty well and it was very nippy for a jeep. Only downside is he got the nickname" nidge " during the love/hate years!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

If you can get a Disco without the air suspension and minded a bit it should be fine.

Similar for anything really, if you buy cheap with no history you’re in for trouble. If you buy right and get something well minded you’re laughing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

L-M wrote: »
    If you can get a Disco without the air suspension and minded a bit it should be fine.

Similar for anything really, if you buy cheap with no history you’re in for trouble. If you buy right and get something well minded you’re laughing.
    Do the disco engines give trouble in that vintage? Two lads local here had engines give up but it could be lack of maintenance being a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Bullocks wrote: »
    Do the disco engines give trouble in that vintage? Two lads local here had engines give up but it could be lack of maintenance being a problem

To be honest I sold them new back in 06/07 up until 2010 and we had some come back with absolutely massive mileage.

Some of them were just bad, as in they were bad new and stayed bad for their life. The good ones were unbreakable and took lots of abuse.

Advertisement