Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local school that seems ok Vs excellent urban school

Options
  • 28-02-2020 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi all, I have read some previous threads and it seems there are many people out there with similar issues re choosing a school. I’m hoping some of you might be able to clarify my mind further?

I’m living near a small rural school, 3 mins drive away. 100 pupils, mixed grade so same teacher for 2 years. Attended info night. Principal nice, infants teacher really unpleasant, have met infant teacher before and same impression, can’t imagine them teaching a combined class of up to 28 infants.

Could choose another, relatively new school but is 15 mins away in the nearest urban town. Single stream, fantastic teachers and principal. All seems very dynamic and stimulating. But most children will not live near us. We don’t have immediate neighbours where we live so friendship options won’t be an option in that sense.

As u can tell, I favour the urban school, there’s no doubt that they would get a better education there BUT I can’t decide if it is just as important to be part of their locality (my husband and I aren’t so we don’t know many ppl here) and have a network of friends. The local school seems good enough, parents seem happy with it.

So although I personally would prefer the urban, Im torn. As well as locale issue, there will be a commute to the town for child 1 and then a need to turn around to go back to preschool near my home with child 2 & 3 (for next 3 years).

To those of you who have gone before me, what would say are the most important considerations?

Thanks for taking the time to read this

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

“ No doubt they would get a better education?” How are you deciding what makes one school better than another? In what way was the infant teacher unpleasant ?What makes the urban school so attractive to you? (Not looking to argue, just trying to understand why you favour one over the other . )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

My kids don’t go to our local (rural) school, because of the hours, they don’t suit my work. It’s grand.
    I would send them wherever is handiest tbh. If you decide to send them to the further away school, friends, parties, hobbies will prob have you on the road Saturdays and sundays, it can be a nuisance. I send my kids to gaa locally, I wanted them to know some people locally (it’s also been great for me to get to know people). I didn’t want them to be total aliens in the parish.
    Tbh, it’s primary school, not secondary or college. Unless it’s a desperate place altogether, I can’t imagine there’ll be too much difference academically

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Does either school feed into a good secondary school? That was an important consideration for us when choosing schools (we went for a city school that fed to an excellent secondary).

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Gemancy

Maybe that was badly phrased on my part. To be more concise comparing both schools on the basis of their info day, the urban school seems more consistent with our own approach to our kids, maybe it’s a bit more progressive? So perhaps I am being subjective when I say a better education. I also reviewed the school inspection reports and it would seem to me that the urban school got a better report, although to be fair the local school’s report is not as recent and staff have changed. Also, I don’t really have a good understanding of how the mixed grade setting works in reality

I am also at the point though where I have over analysed almost every aspect of this decision so I now can’t see the woods for trees. Hence my post to this forum, I’m trying to identify what are the actual most important criteria on which to base this decision. I have no doubt that the local school is also capable of educating children successfully I’m just not sure it will be as enjoyable for our children \��

In regards the teacher, they may very well be wonderful. I can only go on my impression. They are just a cold type of personality and I worry that communicating with them may be challenging esp as we will be doing so for next 5/6 years!

I’m just not sure if our preference for the urban school is worth the trade off of being schooled in their locale and being 3 minutes away!!

Does either school feed into a good secondary school? That was an important consideration for us when choosing schools (we went for a city school that fed to an excellent secondary).

Thanks Galway Grrrrrl
    The urban one would probably give a little more in terms of options alright. I suppose it’s coming down to the fact that I’m afraid that my kids will miss out socially if not schooled in their locale. I’m not sure playing sports etc will make up for that

• Advertisement

jlm29 wrote: »
    My kids don’t go to our local (rural) school, because of the hours, they don’t suit my work. It’s grand.
    I would send them wherever is handiest tbh. If you decide to send them to the further away school, friends, parties, hobbies will prob have you on the road Saturdays and sundays, it can be a nuisance. I send my kids to gaa locally, I wanted them to know some people locally (it’s also been great for me to get to know people). I didn’t want them to be total aliens in the parish.
    Tbh, it’s primary school, not secondary or college. Unless it’s a desperate place altogether, I can’t imagine there’ll be too much difference academically

Thanks Jim, in my saner moments I do realise that! Jesus, I’ll be a complete wreck by then! Did you find that your kids became good friends with kids they played sports with them despite not being at school with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Gemancy wrote: »
    Thanks Jim, in my saner moments I do realise that! Jesus, I’ll be a complete wreck by then! Did you find that your kids became good friends with kids they played sports with them despite not being at school with them?

If I’m honest, no, I think my eldest always feels left out. My younger guy has only just started, so not sure yet re him. I think with my first guy though, some of that is possibly to do with the fact that he’s not very athletic. I’d say if he was a bit more talented, it would be a bit easier

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭P2C

Had the same dilemma. Both of us work in a urban town. Local rural school beside the house. 2 teacher school. I was leaning more towards urban school as close to work, after school. Ended up going other way as want the kids to be part of the community. Bus picks the kids up outside the door which is best thing ever. Drops them off at the Childminder’s at 3pm and we collect on way home. They have made lots of friends locally at school of varying ages. Between birthdays and play dates and now starting to do activities. School very small 30 odd pupils but the kids are thriving. Wife is a teacher in another school and is more than happy with their progress. We’re getting to know more people as meeting them at the school play, parents association etc etc. the only pain is if you have an appointment in the middle of the day and have to drive out to collect and then back into town. The grandparents come in handy on those dates. I was really apprehensive but not anymore

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I think you have your mind set towards the urban school , so maybe that’s the better option for you - and I don’t mean that in a negative way .

I’ve worked in various different schools ( jobs were hard to get in the late 80s) Children from homes where there is an interest in education will usually thrive wherever they go in primary , unless the school was an absolute disaster !
    Multi-grade classes aren’t an issue , really - the days of every single child being literally “ on the same page “ are well gone . In single stream classes , the children will be working in different ability groups during the day too.

Some schools “ sell themselves “ very well, I’d talk to parents of both to see what the reality on the ground is. A new school will generally sell very well , to attract new pupils . If a school inspection report is more than than 5 years old , I wouldn’t be seriously swayed by it . Things can improve / disimprove quite a lot in that time frame .

Logistics like who will be able to collect the child after school , if they are sick, takes them to class mates’ parties on a Saturday etc. shouldn’t be underestimated.

Best of luck in your decision!

P2C wrote: »
    Had the same dilemma. Both of us work in a urban town. Local rural school beside the house. 2 teacher school. I was leaning more towards urban school as close to work, after school. Ended up going other way as want the kids to be part of the community. Bus picks the kids up outside the door which is best thing ever. Drops them off at the Childminder’s at 3pm and we collect on way home. They have made lots of friends locally at school of varying ages. Between birthdays and play dates and now starting to do activities. School very small 30 odd pupils but the kids are thriving. Wife is a teacher in another school and is more than happy with their progress. We’re getting to know more people as meeting them at the school play, parents association etc etc. the only pain is if you have an appointment in the middle of the day and have to drive out to collect and then back into town. The grandparents come in handy on those dates. I was really apprehensive but not anymore

Thamks PC2, food for thought 😊

• Advertisement

I think you have your mind set towards the urban school , so maybe that’s the better option for you - and I don’t mean that in a negative way .

I’ve worked in various different schools ( jobs were hard to get in the late 80s) Children from homes where there is an interest in education will usually thrive wherever they go in primary , unless the school was an absolute disaster !
    Multi-grade classes aren’t an issue , really - the days of every single child being literally “ on the same page “ are well gone . In single stream classes , the children will be working in different ability groups during the day too.

Some schools “ sell themselves “ very well, I’d talk to parents of both to see what the reality on the ground is. A new school will generally sell very well , to attract new pupils . If a school inspection report is more than than 5 years old , I wouldn’t be seriously swayed by it . Things can improve / disimprove quite a lot in that time frame .

Logistics like who will be able to collect the child after school , if they are sick, takes them to class mates’ parties on a Saturday etc. shouldn’t be underestimated.

Best of luck in your decision!

Thanks, it’s like you’re in my head with that comment! I was only saying to my husband I think the urban school are more slick and sold themselves well. I do feel the local school probably has a lot going for it they just didn’t get it across! I’m on a career break for next 2 years, not sure what I’ll do after that so difficult to know which choice will suit us logistically by then so will have to work with the here and now...Argh!! Need to make the decision by tomorrow night anyway so thanks for the input, much appreciated. As someone above said, it is only primary school after all!!!!

Advertisement