Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USA-IE Voltage-frequency converter? 1760W 230 to 120v 60 to 50hz

Options
  • 27-02-2020 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

We bought the Ninja Foodi 402 LP3 Pressure Cooker online from USA. Need it to work off Irish mains. Have tried looking for something called a step down converter in Power City, DID, Amazon etc. with no success - See photos to see what it looks like. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

In Ireland we use a 230V 50Hz supply. This device is designed to operate at a different frequency (60Hz) and voltage (120V).

I doubt the frequency would be an issue but the voltage is definitely an issue.
    230 / 110V transformers are available of the shelf but 230 / 120V transformers not so much.

To be honest it would probably work out much cheaper and it would be cleaner to simply buy the equivalent unit in Ireland. This kit looks quite cheap (made in China) and of questionable quality (I see it claims to be UL certified).

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Priestess101

Sir, I appreciate that you think I could buy it here, but unfortunately this unit is only available in a smaller size here in IE/UK which works out to be more expensive than buying the original US version.

The price I paid plus shipping plus customs makes me think that I did my homework before I decided to buy it online and get it delivered here. Obviously, I was not informed about the possible frequency issues when buying the device.

This is the only 8qt. version I am interested in (not the OP500UK) version where all reviews have confirmed my suspsicions that the UK version is far to small to justify paying 25-35% more. However, I would love any actionable advice on what is the safest and most suitable convertor for a device like this. Thanks.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Well assuming it is confirmed that 50 Hz is ok (sorry I haven’t time to check but I think it is) then you will need a 230 / 120V step down transformer rated at about 2 kVA. This may cost anything from €100 up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

The transformer will need a continuous rating suitable here as well, which for site transformers is below the intermittent use rating.

Although an electric pressure pot will probably be intermittent enough to be ok.

You would imagine there are plenty of electric pressure cooker options preferable to using relatively heavy/bulky transformers.

A lump of a transformer won’t look very nice in your kitchen either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

The yellow site transformer are 3.3kVA but are 110v. Would it still function ok -10ish volts?

It will also look horrendous, so it would have to be hidden below the cooker.... but at least you can use a 110v sabre saw to cut the sunday roast too.

Tuco88 wrote: »
    The yellow site transformer are 3.3kVA but are 110v. Would it still function ok -10ish volts?

Probably, yes.

But I wouldn’t recommend it.

Advertisement