Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement LED Chips - Reputable source?

Options
  • 27-02-2020 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to purchase some 50W COB LED chips as I've got a number of LED floodlight units which have failed and I'd like to repair them myself.

Can anyone inform me where I can purchase chips from an EU source - eBay only seems to have items being shipped from China. Whilst I accept that all items will originally come from China into the EU warehouses I would like to source from a reputable seller who has the necessary quality control.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

In my experience 99% of the time its the power supply that fails.

However, i just buy cheap ebay ones and run them at 25w, with proper heatsinking

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

whizbang wrote: »
    In my experience 99% of the time its the power supply that fails.

However, i just buy cheap ebay ones and run them at 25w, with proper heatsinking

Do you buy the COB ones which you solder direct into the mains input?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Farnell, radionics?

So I got one from an online auction site and put it in today.

I've no ferrules at the minute so I had to solder the stand to get them to be rigid enough to push into the connector on the board. Is this okay to do? It is taking mains directly into the chip. I've read some comments that soldering should not be done as over time it can heat and creep leading to a bad connection and a fire hazard.

Secondly, the plastic housing cap for the connector broke one terminal. I don't think they are actually doing anything mechanical to the connection.
    I was considering soldering the wire fully into position and then converting with insulation tape - it will be covered by the foil reflector and fully housed so there is no risk here as I see it. The cob chips which do not have a connector have the L and N soldered on so this would be no different.

An alternative was to wait until I got some ferrules for the wires and then solder them into the connection and cover.

Any suggestions?

See photo attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

TBH, I dont use the mains powered ones, I don't like the look of the insulation..One i tried had a noticable 50Hz flicker.

I don't see any issue with what you have done, Have you used proper heatsink paste ?

The casings are usually so rough, that I try to sand and polish the contact surfaces to a very fine finish. Its the only way to get good heat transfer.

• Advertisement

Yes. Full coverage underneath and you can see the grey plate around the edges where it was squeezed out.

My main concern was that the wires from the led driver to the chip might not be correctly rated to handle 240v.
    I was considering swapping them out for solid wires stripped from some twin and earth cable.

Advertisement