Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Income from Donations

Options
  • 23-02-2020 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hey all,

I'm trying to figure out what the situation is regarding tax on donations for services. I don't want to charge money for the services I provide, but people frequently want to make donations because they are so happy with the service provided.

I was thinking of setting up a website with a donation button linked to Paypal, but is this then a taxable form of income? I was born in Ireland but I am non-resident and non-ordinarily resident, and I havent worked in Ireland for over a decade.

The services I provide are conducted online with people from all over the world, so would it make sense to open an offshore bank account linked to the Paypal donation facility if the donations are taxable?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,733 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

This is really a question for the tax administration in the country where you are tax resident.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Pat Mustard 1111111111111

Thanks for the reply.

I don't currently have tax residency anywhere, as i'm always on the move and never in one place longer than a tourist visa permits me.

Ireland would be the closest thing that I have to a tax residency as I was born there and hold an Irish passport there.

So would donations be taxable in Ireland if the money came from Paypal donations to my Bank of Ireland a/c? Or is there a threshold above/below which income tax would be applicable/non applicable? Or does the fact that they are donations exclude the money from taxation altogether? There would be no invoices or receipts involved whatsoever.

Advertisement