Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you buy a diesel car now?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,928 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I will probably be looking to change within the next 18 months. Although my annual mileage has reduced somewhat through increased working from home, it's still around 40K km a year.

I currently drive a 3.0 TDI A6 (2010) and I can't afford a brand new version of it. Most of the current EV/hybrid alternatives are frankly shyte by comparison (in my opinion), and not suited to my mileage, budget, or requirements anyway.
    I also rent and have no driveway, so don't have the luxury of installing charging infrastructure. There's also nothing at my place of work 80km away.

Come back to me when I can buy the equivalent to what I have now, for the same used car money I paid for it, and will do the same range with the same "refil" time. Alternatively, let me know when I can rent a place closer to work without paying
    almost double what I pay now.

As such, yes I'll be buying another diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭PaulRyan97

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I will probably be looking to change within the next 18 months. Although my annual mileage has reduced somewhat through increased working from home, it's still around 40K km a year.

I currently drive a 3.0 TDI A6 (2010) and I can't afford a brand new version of it. Most of the current EV/hybrid alternatives are frankly shyte by comparison (in my opinion), and not suited to my mileage, budget, or requirements anyway.
    I also rent and have no driveway, so don't have the luxury of installing charging infrastructure. There's also nothing at my place of work 80km away.

Come back to me when I can buy the equivalent to what I have now, for the same used car money I paid for it, and will do the same range with the same "refil" time. Alternatively, let me know when I can rent a place closer to work without paying
    almost double what I pay now.

As such, yes I'll be buying another diesel.

You're definitely a legitimate use case for a diesel vehicle, sorry if this thread is coming off as an attack against people like you, my main gripe is people buying diesels who have no use for them (i.e for the school run or driving from the suburbs to town etc).

May I ask how much the 2010 A6 cost you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Bought 2 in the last 18 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I wouldnt mind another VRS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,973 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

FFVII wrote: »
    They're in for 5 years, you'll forget in a couple days.

Not true.

People are still talking about how the Greens told us diesel cars were the ones to buy in 2008.

I heard Eamon Ryan asked about it leading up to the election on more than one occasion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

PaulRyan97 wrote: »
    What 170BHP engine currently has €1200 road tax?

Total guess but some petrol one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,928 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

You're definitely a legitimate use case for a diesel vehicle, sorry if this thread is coming off as an attack against people like you, my main gripe is people buying diesels who have no use for them (i.e for the school run or driving from the suburbs to town etc).

May I ask how much the 2010 A6 cost you?

Few years ago now, but cost about 19k with trade-in from a dealer with 6 month full warranty.

Was a high mileage UK import but I've since put just under another 200k km on it and it's still going strong :)

I agree with your central point though.. diesels are meant to be driven, and will lead to expensive issues if not (aside from anything else). If you're an urban dweller who only does a few thusand km a year, diesel isn't for you.

Unfortunately Government tax policy from 2008 onwards encouraged a massive shift towards them and with the reality of cars being a lot more reliable nowadays (helped by the NCT requirement in part), so petrols became alnost extinct in most segments, and it's going to take a long time to change that.
    Additionally there is the problem of woefully inadequate (or non-existant) public transport alternatives outside of the main towns and cities, necessitating car ownership and generally diesels (20 minutes at 100 km/h in say Cavan is very different to 20 minutes in Dublin City Centre).

Plus, most new cars out there are on finance deals like PCP, and that in itself is a big problem if and indeed when the next financial crash happens as there'll be a glut of "unsellable" diesel cars out there.

They're going nowhere for at least another 20 years I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

What 170BHP engine currently has €1200 road tax?

An Opel Omea V6 2.5 would be €1,294 and 178 BHP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

2million cars registered on the road , About 4 k of them electric, new car sales between 60 -100 k a year ,even if electric car sales increased ten fold it will take 20 to 30 years before they are the majority
    , if ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

2million cars registered on the road , About 4 k of them electric, new car sales between 60 -100 k a year ,even if electric car sales increased ten fold it will take 20 to 30 years before they are the majority
    , if ever

No charging infrastructure for electric, especially In Dublin, charging now to be charged for and no more free charging points outside houses - yet they want us to migrate to electric and talk about banning diesel? Nobody in charge talking about how impossible it is to get around Dublin if youre not in the city centre and dont want to spend hours waiting on non existant busses or busses that only come every 45 minutes - if they bother showing up. I wouldnt buy a diesel car now but despite the environment and savings would be extremely reluctant to buy an electric at the moment - all I see is ques at charging stations and people in cars or taxis being dropped off to pick up their cars. Dosn’t look good. Ill he hanging onto my petrol for as long as it can last - dont want an investment risk on a diesel and cant afford the lifestyle and taxi fares for owning a current battery life electric. lose lose all round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Absolutely would. In the market shortly for something to replace our 11 year old Kuga which is starting to become less reliable, and with a 4 week old we need something newer. Can't afford a newer hybrid in most models, and with mileage being quite high, and living in a very rural spot, diesel is our only real choice. Green driving is still a luxury I'm afraid. And Eamon Ryan reckons rural areas should only need one car for every 3 homes... Jesus wept

TrailerBob wrote: »
    Absolutely would. In the market shortly for something to replace our 11 year old Kuga which is starting to become less reliable

Yikes, is that common for that model? :confused:

tuxy wrote: »
    Yikes, is that common for that model? :confused:

Not hugely, but it has 250,000km on it, and has the bones shaken out of it every day on the lanes where we live.. time to upgrade

Not hugely, but it has 250,000km on it, and has the bones shaken out of it every day on the lanes where we live.. time to upgrade

I've never had a petrol car deteriorate much over that kind of distance.
    I though diesels were stroinger.
    Shocks are consumable items IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

I wonder if this same conversation took place over one hundred years ago regardihg the demise of the steam engine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

I asked the same question recently.... if you flick back through the posts youll find it....n

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Steve wrote: »
    Hold out till we see what shower of eejits actually get in.

Personally, I'll not be giving up my TDi any time soon.

€280 vs €1200 equivalent road tax for 170 BHP is a no brainer and half the fuel cost.

I'm driving a Lexus IS300H, tax is €190 for the year and 210 BHP

• Site Banned Posts: 26 shadydestroyer

Even though my commute is only 20KM in total I still use Diesel, always have and always will until they stop selling them.

Nearly all my friends have Diesel as well doing similar distance in and out of work every day. Population where I live is about 1500 and nearly everyone drives a diesel.

Boards seems to be really weird with people talking about Diesel cars and people doing short distances for some reason.

Never had any problem driving short distances in them along with my friends.

It might get a good spin up to Dublin once every two months or so.

Even though my commute is only 20KM in total I still use Diesel, always have and always will until they stop selling them.

I don't think petrol or diesel is needed to cover that distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

Wesser wrote: »
    I asked the same question recently.... if you flick back through the posts youll find it....n
    Sorry wesser, did not realise that you had already made my point
    Great minds, etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Top_Guy wrote: »
    With it looking like the Greens will come into power, I've heard lots of people say that the tax on diesels will become prohibitively expensive in the next few years.

I'm in the market for a new car at the moment and theres a lot of diesels knocking around - however I'm not sure if I should take the plunge or not. Would you buy a diesel still? Interested in hearing peoples opinions on this.

If the Greens come into power I'd advise you to buy a donkey and cart.

I don't think petrol or diesel is needed to cover that distance.

Definitely not going electric anyway! Not a hope.

There not going to put up the tax on current Diesels or even new Diesels.
    Possibly what I can see happening is a levy on the price of Diesel and make it more expensive than petrol. Maybe 10C more in the not the too distant future.

Definitely not going electric anyway! Not a hope.

I'd agree with that, electricty would not be needed unless to compensate for some kind of disability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

No,as a hybrid owner no need

Have you covered the initial extra cost over a diesel yet? BTW the greens are also demonising hybrids.

I'd agree with that, electricty would not be needed unless to compensate for some kind of disability.

Explain that if you wouldn't mind cause I'm lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,558 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Absolutely would. In the market shortly for something to replace our 11 year old Kuga which is starting to become less reliable, and with a 4 week old we need something newer. Can't afford a newer hybrid in most models, and with mileage being quite high, and living in a very rural spot, diesel is our only real choice. Green driving is still a luxury I'm afraid. And Eamon Ryan reckons rural areas should only need one car for every 3 homes... Jesus wept

E Ryan made a hash of explaining that proposal but it was seized upon as a stick to beat the Greens.

As far as I can see what he meant was a kind of Go Car option for small towns.

The sort of thing that might allow people the option of only owning one car if they wanted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,558 ✭✭✭✭elperello

adrian92 wrote: »
    I wonder if this same conversation took place over one hundred years ago regardihg the demise of the steam engine?

I doubt it because the number of privately owned cars was tiny compared to today. The number of steam cars a fraction of that.

The ICE was seen as a great advance and was well established by 1920 anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,407 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I wouldn't buy a new one (nor possibly ever buy a new car) but if I was presented in the morning with a 30k mile commute per year I'd be looking at throwing €10k or so at one.

elperello wrote: »
    E Ryan made a hash of explaining that proposal but it was seized upon as a stick to beat the Greens.

As far as I can see what he meant was a kind of Go Car option for small towns.

The sort of thing that might allow people the option of only owning one car if they wanted.

I'm no trying to beat the greens with any stick.. I'd be happy to drive hybrid if I could afford one, (while I have to keep the landcruiser for heavy towing). But the way we live now is not comparable to a few generations back. Many of the families near us have no choice but communte medium to long distance to work.. and the green ideas need to be workable outside of urban centres if they are to be implemented bacross the board (and I include rural towns in that)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

I have a 2 yr old diesel mondeo & I buy a new diesel mondeo next January.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement