Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax Rebate on AVCs

Options
  • 22-02-2020 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

Hi All,
    I made monthly AVCs in 2019.

How do I get a tax rebate on these?

Thanks in advance,

Jos

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Nedzer01

No rebate now - though you can access it when you retire, at 68 (or later)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,108 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

jos_kel wrote: »
    Hi All,

Thanks in advance,

Jos

The pension insurers would have given you a cert, or some sort of proof.

You submit that to Revenue.

You can submit it with your normal tax return.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,108 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Nedzer01 wrote: »
    No rebate now - though you can access it when you retire, at 68 (or later)

Tax relief is available on pension contributions.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

Hi All,

Thanks in advance,

Jos

Register for my account on revenue, once registered file your 2019 return.

While filing your return you will see a tab where you can enter the figure paid for 2019, make sure to claim your credits and other allowances ( medical bills).

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

Hi All,

Thanks in advance,

Jos

https://www.revenue.ie/en/employing-people/what-constitutes-pay/employees-pension-payments/types-of-pension-contributions.aspx

If the AVCs were paid from salary through the employer scheme it is possible you have already received relief on those through the “net pay arrangement”. Otherwise you can be provided with a statement showing that relief has not been granted already and then Revenue will grant any relief due. Check with the employer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭jos_kel

Register for my account on revenue, once registered file your 2019 return.

While filing your return you will see a tab where you can enter the figure paid for 2019, make sure to claim your credits and other allowances ( medical bills).

Novice question. How do I file 2019 return? Is this an online form on ROS?
    By the way these AVCs are separate from my employer’s scheme.
    Why do I have to adjust the tax credits, can they not just leave the credits and post me a cheque with the tax relief.

Novice question. How do I file 2019 return? Is this an online form on ROS?
    By the way these AVCs are separate from my employer’s scheme.
    Why do I have to adjust the tax credits, can they not just leave the credits and post me a cheque with the tax relief.

If you are Paye and no other, you can it through my account.
    You should check the credits to make sure what you are getting are correct, I know through Ros form 11 they don't automatically give you the Paye tax credit, than it depends on your other circumstances, single, married, spouse income etc.

Better off filing your medical expenses as well now. The additional avc are allowed but also depends on age and income to maxamise tax savings.

If you are Paye and no other, you can it through my account.
    You should check the credits to make sure what you are getting are correct, I know through Ros form 11 they don't automatically give you the Paye tax credit, than it depends on your other circumstances, single, married, spouse income etc.

Better off filing your medical expenses as well now. The additional avc are allowed but also depends on age and income to maxamise tax savings.

So when I go through myAccount. I enter my AVCs for 2019 there?
    Is that correct?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Is that correct?

Thanks in advance.

If you paid AVC's via payroll then you have already reveived your tax relief If you paid privately into an approved PRSA, then enter via revenue.ie, its actually quite straight forward

Is that correct?

Thanks in advance.

Yes

• Advertisement

Yes

Had a look in myAccount but still can’t see where I can enter my non-Payroll AVC contributions for 2019.

Apologies if I’m being silly here.

Had a look in myAccount but still can’t see where I can enter my non-Payroll AVC contributions for 2019.

I only use Ros myself but is there a tab for charges and deductions?

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

If you're using MyAccount as 2019 is now over you can only get any adjustments by filing a Tax Return (eForm12). You can do that by going to :-
    Review my tax 2016-2019.
    Request provisional statement of liability.
    That will give Revenue's current position on the year.
    Then go to file return for 2019 and as you go through the sections there should be one there for the AVCs.
    You can only claim any refunds now for 2019 onwards by filing a tax return.

Thanks a lot,
    Found it but I see this message.
    AVC relief can only be claimed if AVC contributions have been paid for you by you or your employer.

This AVC is separate from my PAYE, and I'm asked to specify on the form
    Employment where your Superannuation Fund is held

How can I add AVC, as it's nothing to do with my PAYE or employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Thanks a lot,
    Found it but I see this message.
    AVC relief can only be claimed if AVC contributions have been paid for you by you or your employer.

This AVC is separate from my PAYE, and I'm asked to specify on the form
    Employment where your Superannuation Fund is held

How can I add AVC, as it's nothing to do with my PAYE or employer.

Apologies for pulling up an old thread but I have a similar query as above.

I've been roped into completing a tax return for my dad, and I don't live in Ireland so not overly familiar with the pension tax refund process. Basically he has taken out a standard PRSA with Zurich through a broker and made a one off AVC contribution for 2019, as he is nearing retirement. He's forwarded on some documents they have supplied, one being the PRSA 2 AVC Cert.

I have access to his revenue myAccount, and I can see under 'Add Credits' there's a section for AVC under your job. Is it as simple as inputting the lump sum contribution in this section?. It does state 'Employment where superannuation fund is held', which I was wondering about as the PRSA he has taken out is seperate to the Employer's (public service) I assume. But is that there for tax calculation purposes?

Also, i thought I read somewhere you need to send the AVC cert to revenue. So just wondering is there another section or form that i should be using rather than through myAccount option.

Appreciate any guidance.

cmac2009 wrote: »

I've been roped into completing a tax return for my dad, and I don't live in Ireland so not overly familiar with the pension tax refund process. Basically he has taken out a standard PRSA with Zurich through a broker and made a one off AVC contribution for 2019, as he is nearing retirement. He's forwarded on some documents they have supplied, one being the PRSA 2 AVC Cert.

I have access to his revenue myAccount, and I can see under 'Add Credits' there's a section for AVC under your job. Is it as simple as inputting the lump sum contribution in this section?. It does state 'Employment where superannuation fund is held', which I was wondering about as the PRSA he has taken out is seperate to the Employer's (public service) I assume. But is that there for tax calculation purposes?

Also, i thought I read somewhere you need to send the AVC cert to revenue. So just wondering is there another section or form that i should be using rather than through myAccount option.

Appreciate any guidance.

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,177 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Anyone?

will let you know in the morning how to deal with this.

select the AVC option, and enter the figure in:

Amount of AVC paid by you in 2019 on which relief has not already been granted

you select the employment as you only get tax relief based on a % of your net relevant earnings based on your age, for PAYE employees this is usually gross pay for PAYE/income tax.

it could be worth splitting the AVC into 2019 and 2020. What you want to ensure is that you are getting tax relief @40%.

hold onto the AVC cert, revenue may request it. you can upload it via my enquiries if you want.

select the AVC option, and enter the figure in:

Amount of AVC paid by you in 2019 on which relief has not already been granted

you select the employment as you only get tax relief based on a % of your net relevant earnings based on your age, for PAYE employees this is usually gross pay for PAYE/income tax.

it could be worth splitting the AVC into 2019 and 2020. What you want to ensure is that you are getting tax relief @40%.

hold onto the AVC cert, revenue may request it. you can upload it via my enquiries if you want.

Thanks y0sar, appreciate you taking the time to reply. Just two follow on questions -

1) Basic question - 'Net relevant earnings' - on the box above his gross income is listed, is the net relevant earnings the same amount, as it states it's employment income less deductions, such as losses and capital allowances. None of which are applicable to him.

2) You have mentioned splitting across tax years, is this possible even though the policy commencement date and one off contribution was in 2019?.

thanks again.

Thanks y0sar, appreciate you taking the time to reply. Just two follow on questions -

1) Basic question - 'Net relevant earnings' - on the box above his gross income is listed, is the net relevant earnings the same amount, as it states it's employment income less deductions, such as losses and capital allowances. None of which are applicable to him.

2) You have mentioned splitting across tax years, is this possible even though the policy commencement date and one off contribution was in 2019?.

thanks again.

1. if just p60 income use, use the figure for 'gross income for income tax', or something to that effect.

2. if there is a document that specifies the AVC relates to 2019 you're probably restricted. Your dads pension advisor would probably have taken this into account, to get max relief.

one way to know: when you input the AVC figure, if the PAYE due reduced by 40% he is getting max tax relief. say AVC of €1000, should reduce PAYE by €400.

• Advertisement

1. if just p60 income use, use the figure for 'gross income for income tax', or something to that effect.

2. if there is a document that specifies the AVC relates to 2019 you're probably restricted. Your dads pension advisor would probably have taken this into account, to get max relief.

one way to know: when you input the AVC figure, if the PAYE due reduced by 40% he is getting max tax relief. say AVC of €1000, should reduce PAYE by €400.

thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

I have access to his revenue myAccount, and I can see under 'Add Credits' there's a section for AVC under your job. Is it as simple as inputting the lump sum contribution in this section?.

Appreciate any guidance.

Can anyone confirm the above? Is it is as simple as amending your 2019 and adding the AVC tax credit? Is the credit then applied on future income to make up the difference?

Can't seem to find a clear answer online

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

bump!

jive wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm the above? Is it is as simple as amending your 2019 and adding the AVC tax credit? Is the credit then applied on future income to make up the difference?

Can't seem to find a clear answer online

The allowance is given for 2019 and the tax due will be reduced accordingly.

Advertisement