Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheltenham Alternatives (Last Minute)

• 21-02-2020 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Been to cheltenham 3 of last 5 years, always been very well planned. This year most of the lads had from a long way out said they weren't for going. New babies, weddings, houses etc. But over last few days with the build up getting the juices flowing a couple have now expressed an interest. But don't want to be paying over the odds. Flights to bristol and birmingham are sky high. What alternatives are there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Roundtd181 wrote: »
    Been to cheltenham 3 of last 5 years, always been very well planned. This year most of the lads had from a long way out said they weren't for going. New babies, weddings, houses etc. But over last few days with the build up getting the juices flowing a couple have now expressed an interest. But don't want to be paying over the odds. Flights to bristol and birmingham are sky high. What alternatives are there.

Get the sail and rail over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Earendil

Cardiff, Manchester, Liverpool and drive in and out. Alternate drivers and have nights on the piss instead of days.
    If I’m honest I’d consider letting it go, plan for next year and organise good pub days at home.
    You could also consider the Spain/Portugal/Canaries trips and have a few days on the lash and gambling in the sun. I know lads who have done the festival in Cheltenham for years and now prefer doing it in Benidorm.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Roundtd181

Earendil wrote: »
    Cardiff, Manchester, Liverpool and drive in and out. Alternate drivers and have nights on the piss instead of days.
    If I’m honest I’d consider letting it go, plan for next year and organise good pub days at home.
    You could also consider the Spain/Portugal/Canaries trips and have a few days on the lash and gambling in the sun. I know lads who have done the festival in Cheltenham for years and now prefer doing it in Benidorm.

Funnily enough i know a few lads from meath heading to the sun for it. Its last minute alright. Had organised a piss up on the friday in the local.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Try aintree for a year , the Liverpudlians are lovely -alrigt
    Better Craic than Cheltenham!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Funnily enough i know a few lads from meath heading to the sun for it. Its last minute alright. Had organised a piss up on the friday in the local.

I'm doing this with my mates. Off to Portugal

• Advertisement

Try aintree for a year , the Liverpudlians are lovely -alrigt
    Better Craic than Cheltenham!

I’ve done both and would say Cheltenham is for the purists and Aintree for the party crowd. Both cracking meetings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Dundalk mate.

Dundalk mate.

:):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭lemush

Just wait for Liverpool would be my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 WicklowBravee

I only ever decide if I’m going to Cheltenham in February. I fly to Heathrow and get the train to Cheltenham.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Earendil wrote: »

I’d love that, but are there bookies in Spain, Portugal, Canaries?

I must have been 10 or 12 times on summer hols over there and never seen a bookies (albeit I haven’t looked for them). And the online bookies usually don’t accept bets when you’re out of the country. Presumably people aren’t going through the hassle of fake vpns, so I must be missing something!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭spuddiesal

I fly into Luton late Monday night. You should rent a car between ye. You have loads of different airports in Uk to fly back to Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

I’d love that, but are there bookies in Spain, Portugal, Canaries?

I must have been 10 or 12 times on summer hols over there and never seen a bookies (albeit I haven’t looked for them). And the online bookies usually don’t accept bets when you’re out of the country. Presumably people aren’t going through the hassle of fake vpns, so I must be missing something!

Some bars have bookies

In benidorm there are bookies and SIS is on

Otherwise if you use data, you should be ok with your bookmaker - at least that is my experience

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭MaxBet

I dont go to Spain but spend a good bit of time in Portugal and the Canaries , all the online stuff works fine just don’t use the WIFI and you’ll be grand . No need for VPN’s . No bookies that I’ve found in either place but you’ll get cash on in certain pubs if need be .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Flights out Dublin to London gatwick Monday evening return Friday evening for less than 100. Rent the car on top for 150 for the week

Google flights
    Auto house Europe for your car.

Advertisement