Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Welsh Open

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ojnab

AllForIt wrote: »
    They do the same for Ding Junhui. Not sure why.

Interesting, only noticed it tonight. Murphy seems a bit lost in some of his last few shots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭AllForIt

ojnab wrote: »
    Interesting, only noticed it tonight. Murphy seems a bit lost in some of his last few shots.

I think if he didn't miss 2 easy reds when in the balls earlier it would be well over by now. Trademark Murphy. It's exasperating being a fan of his.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭waynescales1

This match is a monumental struggle. I’m gonna sleep like a log tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Is Murphy suffering here? His concentration levels may be waning ever so slightly.

Yeah definitely but dont know why tbh. Should have been bossing the match at 4-2, instead usual errors came slipping back and gone into his shell. Very disappointing performance.

He has a chance to win this frame in one visit, can he keep his concentration?

• Advertisement

Scores 61, then goes and does that? Crazy shot, why split the reds up like that?

AllForIt wrote: »
    I think if he didn't miss 2 easy reds when in the balls earlier it would be well over by now. Trademark Murphy. It's exasperating being a fan of his.

Must be just as exasperating for the likes of Hendry watching this. He had the killer instinct, something Murphy is definitely lacking.

Couldnt call this. Fancy another long drawn out battle, struggling to see either getting over the line in one or even two visits way its gone!

Good pot. But black and pink out of commission, how many can he get?

ojnab wrote: »
    Must be just as exasperating for the likes of Hendry watching this. He had the killer instinct, something Murphy is definitely lacking.

I don't think it's the killer instinct he's lacking rather something else one can't quite figure out. He has the killer instinct otherwise he wouldn't have had any results at all.

My theory is that psychologically when he's feeling confident he thinks the way to proceed is to play casually. "As if it means noting" as Davis is famously quoted as saying. I don't think that's quite right in competition. You need to stay hyped-up to a degree even when things are going well.

• Advertisement

Good pot. But black and pink out of commission, how many can he get?

He's already made it difficult...

Nice recovery!

Great choice of shot to play for the pink, opened up the frame beautifully.

Sods law of course, we'd have to have a one visit frame..
    Wilson, if he's watching, has got to be happy with this. No harm for him anyway. Favourite for me tomorrow.

That was great from Murphy to be fair after playing so badly over the last few frames. I was going to say even if he scrapes through this match he's not looking good for the final but he will feel good for the way he finished it off.

Presenter on BBC cutting Shaun short on talking about the voices in his head :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

What a brilliant last frame century from Murphy. Yan got to break off and then shake hands. A brave break too. When he's motoring like that Murphy is a joy to watch. Probably better final with him than Yan as one slow grinder like Wilson is enough for one match. Murphy refused the Eurosport studio interview but he must be banjaxed so understandable. What a great sport snooker is to be fair.

Murphy opens with a century, no sign of fatigue.

Yan the Man with some birthday snooker practice in the BBC studio area, serious dedication.

Murphy opens with a century, no sign of fatigue.

Yan the Man with some birthday snooker practice in the BBC studio area, serious dedication.

Is Yan practising today? Bit much that no? Time and a place for everything and the day after a big semi final loss and also your birthday seems ridiculoys and counter productive to me. But maybe thats why i'm slouched on my couch and Yan is where he is.

Another fine 84 to add to his first frame century sees Murphy burst out of the blocks into a 2-0 lead. His move to Dublin seems to have worked wonders. Good Irish blood has Shaun. Will we claim him as our own now ha?

• Advertisement

Another fine 84 to add to his first frame century sees Murphy burst out of the blocks into a 2-0 lead. His move to Dublin seems to have worked wonders. Good Irish blood has Shaun. Will we claim him as our own now ha?

Séan Murphy.

A Murphy masterclass sees him lead Wilson 4-0 at the interval. Kyren had a couple of chances but Murphy playing very well.

What a steal by Murphy to lead 5-0. Needed a snooker. Got it. Cleaned up. 5 zip. Great stuff by the Dubliner ha.

Thats a hammer blow for sure. Good stuff by murphy though balls were beautifully set up for that counter there.

Quality snooker by a man at the peak of his powers. 6-0.

Wilson at least avoids the dreaded whitewash and his face may look a little less red after notching his first frame. Pity Ronnie wasn't here today as Wilson just doesn't get the juices flowing.

A session of snooker Murphy and his supporters will remember for quite a while. 7-1 and wraps it up with a total clearance of 134. The Welsh Open is coming home to Ireland after being won by an English man.

The Dublin Dynamo within one of the Welsh Holy Grail. 8 - 1. Another century for good measure.

Wilson only needing 8 in a row for victory.

• Advertisement

Cardiff crowd who inly bought tickets to tonights final session in danger of seeing only two quickfire frames.

Wilson put out off his misery. And the rest of us put out of our misery watching him. I hope not to see him in a final.for a long time.

On the other hand absolutely barnstorming display from Shaun Murphy. He really was magic today.

Dublin getting plenty of mentions. Murphy was nearly going to pack it in apparently. Glad he didn't. What a dominant final performance. He'll be one to watch at Sheffield on that form.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭FR01

Wilson put out off his misery. And the rest of us put out of our misery watching him. I hope not to see him in a final.for a long time.

On the other hand absolutely barnstorming display from Shaun Murphy. He really was magic today.

I quite like Wilson and he’ll take a lot from this week. He’s got a good team behind him and one of the games top coaches too. He’ll win more ranking titles no doubt about it.

FR01 wrote: »
    I quite like Wilson and he’ll take a lot from this week. He’s got a good team behind him and one of the games top coaches too. He’ll win more ranking titles no doubt about it.

That's fine. He'll win a title somewhere along the line because he has the right attitude on and off the table. Practices hard. Head screwed on. I just dont enjoy watching him play. Find him slow, ponderous and wooden. He's not an exciting player to watch and thats no problem just the way he is. Seems a nice lad. Said few good words in post match interview. Cracked few jokes at own expense. Bar the 9-1 drubbing its been a good week for him.

Wasn't able to watch live but just caught up with it on youtube - the handy speedup version.

Wilson didn't turn up at all so although Murphy did play very well he wasn't given much opposition. It was disappointing from Wilson. Wilson has talent but I feel he's one of those kinds of players that require years of experience before he'll ever lift a trophy.

I'm very pleased Murphy has been working on his game and it's paying off. It wasn't long ago we were saying he seems happier commentating and getting involved in that side of the scene. And all of a sudden he completely turned it around. Well done. I'd love to see him win a few more of the big ones.

• Advertisement

Big thing for murphy this season, alongside others, was giving up his role on the wpbsa. When i heard that at start of season i remember thinking this lad might have a chance of getting back now. He was far too active and diligent in that job, to his credit really, and never thought it could be commensurate with his desire to get back in world top 10. He's won 2 titles this season now, first time he's done that since 2010. Still not sure i can see him as a world champion again but with a decent draw i wouldnt be ruling him out.

Advertisement