Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2019 Scottish Open: December 9-15 (Eurosport, Quest)

• 09-12-2019 1:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭

The 2019 Scottish Open, the final ranking event of the decade, starts today in Glasgow. The defending champion is Mark Allen. Matches are best of 7 frames until the quarterfinals (best of 9), semifinals (best of 11), and final (best of 17).

First quarter:

Mark Allen v Andy Hicks
    Anthony Hamilton v Louis Heathcote
    Anthony McGill v Hammad Miah
    Gerard Greene v Elliot Slessor
    Ali Carter v Fan Zhengyi
    Riley Parsons v Lu Ning
    Gary Wilson v Rod Lawler
    Robbie Williams v Chris Wakelin
    Jak Jones v Mark King
    Tom Ford v Lee Walker
    Chen Feilong v Zhang Jiankang
    Barry Hawkins v John Astley
    Billy Joe Castle v Ashley Carty
    Scott Donaldson v Lei Peifan
    Simon Lichtenberg v Peter Lines
    Kyren Wilson v Hossein Vafaei

Second quarter:

John Higgins v Jamie O'Neill
    Alexander Ursenbacher v Michael Holt
    Lyo Haotian v Andrew Higginson
    Si Jiahui v Brandon Sargeant
    Jack Lisowski v Zhang Anda
    Adam Stefanow v David Grace
    Ryan Day v Thor Chuan Leong
    Jamie Clark v Mike Dunn
    Robert Milkins v Nigel Bond
    Thepchaiya Un-Nooh v Liang Wenbo
    Sam Craigie v Marco Fu
    Stephen Maguire v Jimmy White
    Tian Pengfei v Oliver Lines
    Zhou Yuelong v Peter Ebdon
    Ian Burns v Craig Steadman
    Neil Robertson v Ken Doherty

Third quarter:

Ronnie O'Sullivan v Dominic Dale
    James Cahill v Sunny Akani
    Luca Brecel v Martin Gould
    Kacper Filipiak v Michael Georgiou
    Joe Perry v Michael Collumb
    Kishan Hirani v David Lilley
    Yan Bingtao v Barry Pinches
    Bai Langning v Joe O'Connor
    Jackson Page v Martin O'Donnell
    Jimmy Robertson v Harvey Chandler
    Kurt Maflin v Alex Born
    Stuart Bingham v Matthew Stevens
    Liam Highfield v Jordan Brown
    Matthew Selt v Li Hang
    Alfie Burden v Soheil Vahedi
    Mark Selby v Mark Joyce

Fourth quarter:

Shaun Murphy v Daniel Wells
    Mark Davis v Sam Baird
    Ricky Walden v Luo Honghao
    Stuart Carrington v Xu Si
    David Gilbert v Eden Sharav
    Fraser Patrick v Chang Bingyu
    Xiao Guodong v Duane Jones
    Andy Lee v Fergal O'Brien
    Chen Zifan v Ben Woollaston
    Graeme Dott v Igor Figueiredo
    Mei Xiwen v Gary Thomson
    Ding Junhui v Michael White
    Alan McManus v Zhao Xintong
    Noppon Saengkham v James Wattana
    Yuan Sijun v Mitchell Mann
    Judd Trump v Armine Amiri

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Bit of VAR in operation here with Leo Scullion. Mark Allen fouled the white without noticing it or calling it and after the shot (blue to middle whuch Allen missed) the ref reviewed the replays on the shot and gave Andy Hicks 5 points.

Didn't know they were doing this in snooker and Alan McManus on commentary was very surprised by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Bit of VAR in operation here with Leo Scully. Mark Allen fouled the white without noticing it or calling it and after the shot (blue to middle whuch Allen missed) the ref reviewed the replays on the shot and gave Andy Hicks 5 points.

Didn't know they were doing this in snooker and Alan McManus on commentary was very surprised by it.

Saw that. Either this is something referees have been told to do, but the players and pundits haven't been informed, or Scullion has just taken the law into his own hands. There'll definitely be further discussion on this anyway.

I think the ref is on a solo run here. Allen 0-2 down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

That is an inexplicable decision to me. I don't think there's anything in the rules of snooker about this. It's always been the case that if the ref doesn't call a foul in the moment, or a player doesn't call a foul on himself, then play proceeds. You don't go back and review footage and award penalty points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Interesting. Cant imagine an experienced referee would have done that if he didnt believe he had the authority but sure we will hear more about it after.

• Advertisement

I notice Alan McManus has joined the Eurosport team, obviously he's been a hit with audiences. I think I'm right in saying he's the only pundit doing work for BBC, ITV and Eurosport?

I notice Alan McManus has joined the Eurosport team, obviously he's been a hit with audiences. I think I'm right in saying he's the only pundit doing work for BBC, ITV and Eurosport?

Has he not been on eurosport for years? I lose track a bit, but didnt think he's new. I really like him on the technical stuff, doesnt just waffle on like a lot of guys, isnt afraid to go into the geeky stuff that can be really interesting. Himself and foulds offer a bit more than the others and I'd nearly include hendry in that.

Nigel Bond can't reproduce his strong showing in the UK Championship as he loses 1-4 to Robert Milkins in the last 128.

Alan McManus started on ITV4, then got taken up by BBC, but yeah I think today is the first time I've heard him on Eurosport/Quest. So used to hearing him, one channel blends into another at this stage. Might just be for the Scottish event though.

Hawkins whitewashed by astley. Having a bit of a mare of late.

• Advertisement

Liang Wenbo also out in the first round, beaten 4-1 by Thepchaiya Un-Nooh.

Liang Wenbo also out in the first round, beaten 4-1 by Thepchaiya Un-Nooh.

Horrible first round draw that, thepchaiya a serious player on his going days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Nice of Selby to deny us the chance to see Ken on the telly. He really is painful.

Sadly, Robertson beat Ken 4-1.

Graeme Dott went through 4-0, with his Brazilian opponent Igor Figueiredo failing to score a single point in the match. Rare to see that!

Ferg and Ken out in Round 1. So disappointing to not have an Irish player to support in the later rounds of any tournament.

Ding in action at the moment against Michael White. 1-1.

7 pot attempts by Ronnie in frame one, zero executed.

7 pot attempts by Ronnie in frame one, zero executed.

Not sure 19.com made a wise investment with their new ambassador.

Decent stuff from dale but not convinced ronnie gives much of a damn.

Ronnie O'Sullivan - The contractual obligation album

• Advertisement

Dominic not happy only getting five chances per frame.

Bonkers.

What the hell was that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Bonkers.
    Why does he bother showing up? He couldn't care less.

Who knows? Maybe fluked the kiss on black so in his head he decided he didnt want to win it like that. Played pink so quick i was sure he'd miss it. Doesnt care obviously.

Pighead wrote: »
    Why does he bother showing up? He couldn't care less.

Good question. Maybe contractual thing as others point out. Actually could do with winning money this week with itv events in mind, but maybe doesnt care about that either.

I dunno if there’s a similar rule in snooker, but in tennis a player can be fined for not trying hard enough or “not meeting the required professional standards”. I think some of O’Sullivan’s play and lack of effort this year has been worthy of sanction.

Probably will get fined, they get fined for all sorts of ridiculous things so you'd have to think that would qualify. But who knows?

Back in groove now so could even win yet. Not bothered making a prediction here.

Is he trying to throw this match or win it? 3-3 now.

• Advertisement

Seems to be trying now.

Rope a dope strategy pays dividends.

Makes monkeys out of us all.

Already cringing about the interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Rope a dope strategy pays dividends.

Makes monkeys out of us all.
    Just seemed to flick a switch inside his head after that crazy black. Such a hard guy too work out! Maybe he felt guilty after that ridiculous effort on the black.

It's nuts. I think he needs to take a season off like he did in 2012/13 and sort his head out.

Had to get selby dig in there anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,758 ✭✭✭Inviere

It's nuts. I think he needs to take a season off like he did in 2012/13 and sort his head out.

Definitely. I'll never forget when he done that, and came back to win at the Crucible....enigmatic stuff. Give me that Ronnie all day, not the moaning child we have at the moment.

Feel sorry for this moroccan guy. Gets a place on tour and in first three events he draws Barry Hawkins, Judd Trump and, for good measure, Judd Trump again. How's that for a welcome to the big time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Judd's head seems really well screwed on at the moment. Talking a lot of sense and being very pragmatic about his loss to Nigel. His interviews are in sharp contrast to Ronnie's rambling nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,813 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Jimmy White getting some decent openings, getting a start in each frame, a great pot followed by missing a sitter.

Will Jimmy win a match on tour this season? I'm beginning to doubt it at this stage.

• Advertisement

Today's last-64 matches...

Morning:

Mark Allen v Louis Heathcote
    Gary Wilson v Chris Wakelin
    Mark King v Tom Ford
    Zhang Jiankang v John J Astley
    Andrew Higginson v Si Jiahui
    Ryan Day v Mike Dunn
    Tian Pengfei v Peter Ebdon
    Joe Perry v Kishan H Hirani
    Anthony McGill v Elliot Slessor
    Yan Bingtao v Joe O'Connor
    Xiao Guodong v Andy Lee

Afternoon:

John Higgins v Alexander Ursenbacher
    Jack Lisowski v David Grace
    Robert Milkins v Thepchaiya Un-Nooh
    Martin Gould v Kacper Filipiak
    Ricky Walden v Stuart Carrington
    Billy Joe Castle v Scott Donaldson
    Peter Lines v Kyren Wilson
    Alfie Burden v Mark Selby
    Yuan Sijun v Judd Trump
    Marco Fu v Stephen Maguire
    Ian Burns v Neil Robertson

Evening:

Ali Carter v Lu Ning
    Ronnie O'Sullivan v James Cahill
    Martin O'Donnell v Jimmy Robertson
    Liam Highfield v Li Hang
    Shaun Murphy v Mark Davis
    David Gilbert v Chang Bingyu
    Ben Woollaston v Graeme Dott
    Alan McManus v James Wattana
    Kurt Maflin v Matthew Stevens
    Mei Xi Wen v Ding Junhui

Ronnie in action again tonight against James Cahill, who beat him 10-8 in the first round of last year's World Championship. Cueballs may be flying off the table again... Fu/Maguire this afternoon could be another good match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Ronnie in action again tonight against James Cahill, who beat him 10-8 in the first round of last year's World Championship. Cueballs may be flying off the table again...

Interested to see how Ronnie approaches this. Will he go for revenge or not give a toss.

Hes not in a great place at the moment. You can always tell when hes potting balls before the ref replaces colours, when he slags off other players etc.

This Swiss lad Alexander Ursenbacher has potential. Playing Higgins right now.

The Nal wrote: »
    Interested to see how Ronnie approaches this. Will he go for revenge or not give a toss.

Hes not in a great place at the moment. You can always tell when hes potting balls before the ref replaces colours, when he slags off other players etc.

Agreed. Between them, Laila Rouass and Steve Peters managed to create some contentment and stability for O'Sullivan for a few years — but whatever has happened lately, his old issues are coming to the fore again.

The WPBSA's rules committee has issued a statement on the Mark Allen cueball feathering incident. Basically they conclude that Scullion had discretion under the "fair play" provision in the rules to handle the incident as he did.

Reading that decision it all seems fair, the rules are very well written to give referees cover for that.

Interesting line is that the initial tip off came from the tv commentary which does raise a potential issue. Is this going to become a regular thing? No problem with ref himself wishing to review a shot, but if you are bringing others into it, including commentators, i think that could lead to problems.

No issues with that, so long as they had rules to cover this already. It's the marker who called Scullion over. I'm sure the marker also saw the TV replay before making their decision, and presumably the markers have access to the cameras/replays in the normal course of events. It was also fairly obvious on the shot and called out by the commentators immediately (practically before the shot had been completed).

In the judgement it is clearly stated it was the broadcaster who alerted the marker. Now maybe they mean the marker was watching the live coverage and picked it up from that which is likely what they mean. Dont think there's any issue with technology being used, just maybe need more clarity around it. Question as to why marker felt able to take this initiative not answered.

Fu 3-2 up on Maguire now

And that's it for Maguire's recent run of form — Fu beats him 4-2.

John Higgins made his 775th career century today to equal Stephen Hendry's total.

• Advertisement
Advertisement