Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice Needed Home Setup

• 23-10-2018 10:45am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've recently changed electricity supplier and as part of the change I'm getting a Netatmo thermostat, as I already have a couple of Nvidia Shields I'm thinking of going whole hog and setting the house ("normal" 4 bedroom semi) with smart devices, I've a friend going to the States next week for work and he'll pick me up some stuff if it's cheaper and works here.

What I'm thinking is......

Smart Doorbell - With my kids getting older this is a must have, would this Nest Doorbell work over here if I bought it in the states? Would there be another better option for a doorbell? I like the video and 2 way communication. My existing door bell is a standard 1.

Light Switches - Nearly all the light fittings in the hose are (relatively) new so I don't want to replace them, I'd like to have some light switches that I could turn the lights on or off? I'd need 1 3 way, 2 2 ways and a few singles.

Cameras - I'd like to have the ability to keep an eye on the kids as they are out playing either out the front of the house or the back, as the weather is turning this won't be needed till the summer.

Speakers/Controls - With black Friday coming up I assume Amazon will have Echos on offer, I'm thinking 1 "main" speaker and 3 minis around the hose, I'm open to Google or Amazon, don't have a preference either way, all our devices in the house are Android if that makes any difference.

Strip lights - I've a couple of cabinets underneath the stairs (1 for shoes, another of jackets), there's a plug in each, be handy to have lights in there.

Vacuum cleaner - The wife would LOVE 1 of these, downstairs is either tiles or hardwood flooring.

Any advice on what to get and where to get them would be greatly apprecaited.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Clareman wrote: »
    Smart Doorbell - With my kids getting older this is a must have, would this Nest Doorbell work over here if I bought it in the states? Would there be another better option for a doorbell? I like the video and 2 way communication. My existing door bell is a standard 1.

Yes, some folks here have the US one working here, though you may have to change the transformer and depending on your DIY skills, that might require an electrician. You should check out the Nest Doorbell thread.
    Light Switches - Nearly all the light fittings in the hose are (relatively) new so I don't want to replace them, I'd like to have some light switches that I could turn the lights on or off? I'd need 1 3 way, 2 2 ways and a few singles.

I'd think about and consider smart bulbs rather then smart switches. I'd recommend Philips Hue. Smart switches just give you on/off and maybe dimming control, smart bulbs do that, but also more, white ambiance, colours, etc.

I'm of the opinion that they offer more.

But it depends on your needs, lighting setup and budget.

Smart Switches are a complicated topic as most require Neutral at the switch, but most Irish homes don't have that. Do first step would be for you to check that if you do want to go down the smart switch route.

BTW don't buy bulbs or switches in the US, they won't work here, different fittings and power.
    Cameras - I'd like to have the ability to keep an eye on the kids as they are out playing either out the front of the house or the back, as the weather is turning this won't be needed till the summer.

Plenty of nice options, Nest, Logitech Cicrle, Arlo, Yi Home are just a few. Depends again on what you are looking for. Can you get power to the cameras, do you mind paying subscriptions for them, etc.
    Speakers/Controls - With black Friday coming up I assume Amazon will have Echos on offer, I'm thinking 1 "main" speaker and 3 minis around the hose, I'm open to Google or Amazon, don't have a preference either way, all our devices in the house are Android if that makes any difference.

google Home devices are usually also reduced around the same time. I've both Alexa and GH and I went fully GH and much prefer it. But Alexa is good too if you decide to go that way.
    Strip lights - I've a couple of cabinets underneath the stairs (1 for shoes, another of jackets), there's a plug in each, be handy to have lights in there.

Philips Hue has great strip lighting options, if you end up going with Hue.
    Vacuum cleaner - The wife would LOVE 1 of these, downstairs is either tiles or hardwood flooring.

Sorry I don't have one, others can probably help.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Great post, thanks for taking the time and effort
    bk wrote: »
    Yes, some folks here have the US one working here, though you may have to change the transformer and depending on your DIY skills, that might require an electrician. You should check out the Nest Doorbell thread.
    Great, I'll get 1 of those picked up so, a friend of mine is an electrician and will be doing the install for me anyway

I'd think about and consider smart bulbs rather then smart switches. I'd recommend Philips Hue. Smart switches just give you on/off and maybe dimming control, smart bulbs do that, but also more, white ambiance, colours, etc.

I'm of the opinion that they offer more.

But it depends on your needs, lighting setup and budget.

Smart Switches are a complicated topic as most require Neutral at the switch, but most Irish homes don't have that. Do first step would be for you to check that if you do want to go down the smart switch route.

BTW don't buy bulbs or switches in the US, they won't work here, different fittings and power.
    I've bought an awful lot of LED bulbs that I really don't want to have to throw out so I'd prefer just to get switches, simple on and off would be fine for me. I won't get those in the US, great point, thanks.

Plenty of nice options, Nest, Logitech Cicrle, Arlo, Yi Home are just a few. Depends again on what you are looking for. Can you get power to the cameras, do you mind paying subscriptions for them, etc.
    I'll have a look around at those, thanks.

google Home devices are usually also reduced around the same time. I've both Alexa and GH and I went fully GH and much prefer it. But Alexa is good too if you decide to go that way.
    I usually like to stick with 1 brand so I'll have a look
    Philips Hue has great strip lighting options, if you end up going with Hue.
    I guess this would be a great way of trialing the HUE :)

Sorry I don't have one, others can probably help.
    I'll forgive you this time :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

For vacuum, I got a roborock s50. I see on eBay that there's lots of German seller selling them ~€400 delivered. Works with Google home speakers.

Example (you can call it what you like!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC_NgtBummc

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

For vacuum, I got a roborock s50. I see on eBay that there's lots of German seller selling them ~€400 delivered. Works with Google home speakers.

Example (you can call it what you like!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC_NgtBummc

I could have LOTS of fun with that.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I've bought an awful lot of LED bulbs that I really don't want to have to throw out so I'd prefer just to get switches, simple on and off would be fine for me. I won't get those in the US, great point, thanks.

Oh I did the exactly the same. Converted all my lights to dumb LED's, then discovered the joys of Hue and changed again!

At least I gave all my old LED's to family and friends, so no bad feelings about ewaste :)

So you will need to unscrew your switches to see if they are wired for Neutral or not. Unfortunately you can't tell from just one switch, I found in my home it was roughly 50/50. Here is an article explaining this:

https://www.vesternet.com/resources/application-notes/apnt-23/

It is a somewhat complicated area, with no really easy recommendation like some other categories have.

• Advertisement

Oh I did the exactly the same. Converted all my lights to dumb LED's, then discovered the joys of Hue and changed again!

At least I gave all my old LED's to family and friends, so no bad feelings about ewaste :)

So you will need to unscrew your switches to see if they are wired for Neutral or not. Unfortunately you can't tell from just one switch, I found in my home it was roughly 50/50. Here is an article explaining this:

https://www.vesternet.com/resources/application-notes/apnt-23/

It is a somewhat complicated area, with no really easy recommendation like some other categories have.

I got onto my friend the electrician, he told me there isn't any neutral to the switches so that discounts that. I've G9 LEDs in most of the communial areas, I'm thinking I could get this for the 3 upstairs bedrooms and 1 spare, can I control all the bulbs independently? Also, I think the screw in on those is bigger than in 2 of my light fittings, can I use an adapter with the Philips?

I got onto my friend the electrician, he told me there isn't any neutral to the switches so that discounts that. I've G9 LEDs in most of the communial areas, I'm thinking I could get this for the 3 upstairs bedrooms and 1 spare, can I control all the bulbs independently? Also, I think the screw in on those is bigger than in 2 of my light fittings, can I use an adapter with the Philips?

My Spanish isn't great, but at a glance, that looks like a great deal.

Yes you can control them independently. Via App, voice control (Google Home, Alexa), Hue dimmer switch, Hue motion sensor and by routines (e.g. sunset).

Well you can use an B22 adaptor to E27 if it is B22 on your fittings. If you mean it is the smaller E14 I don't think they would fit. Having said that, it should be an easy job for your electrician friend to switch out the fitting for E27 in most cases.

I don't need that, in fact I'll probably never use it, like I mean it's not difficult to get out of bed to turn on or off the light, in fact most days it's not needed at all. I've also bought new lights for the kids rooms so they don't need them either.

Of course I ordered it and paid the extra for the express shipping, sure that was only €2 extra.

LOL welcome to the Hue addiction club :D

BTW it is less about controlling the lights and more about the White Ambiance in my experience. The ability to set the lights to bright white during the dark winter months is very helpful I find and then set them to a soft candle light white in the evening as you settle down for the night.

Plus the kids can do disco lights with them, which is fun :)

LOL welcome to the Hue addiction club :D

BTW it is less about controlling the lights and more about the White Ambiance in my experience. The ability to set the lights to bright white during the dark winter months is very helpful I find and then set them to a soft candle light white in the evening as you settle down for the night.

Plus the kids can do disco lights with them, which is fun :)

The justification (to myself) is that it'll be handy for the wife to be able to turn on the light in the porch remotely when she's coming home late, the kids have night lights anyway which this will replace and it'll be handy to have a spare.

Now, if I can stop myself buying the strip lights for the playroom and under the stairs as well as stopping looking at doorbells that'd be great.

• Advertisement

The justification (to myself) is that it'll be handy for the wife to be able to turn on the light in the porch remotely when she's coming home late, the kids have night lights anyway which this will replace and it'll be handy to have a spare.

Note the porch light can come on automatically for her using geofencing or with a Hue motion sensor.

Note the porch light can come on automatically for her using geofencing or with a Hue motion sensor.

Ahhhh b0llix, now I have to buy a Hue motion sensor and start looking into geofencing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Now, if I can stop myself buying the strip lights for the playroom and under the stairs as well as stopping looking at doorbells that'd be great.

There's no stopping you now...you haven't known comfort like turning on and off the bedroom light from within the bed.

Soon you will curse hotels and other homes you visit with their antiquated switches.

I've managed about 15 bulbs in a one bedroom rented apartment and a range of accessories :pac:

Ahhhh b0llix, now I have to buy a Hue motion sensor and start looking into geofencing.

Well the geofencing is free, it is done with the Hue app on her phone and GPS.

The motion sensor might be better from the perspective that it will work for everyone who comes to your home and can be good for security.

Right, that's lighting sorted for now....

There seems to be loads of different reviews for doorbells, I like the idea of having the motion sensor recorded but don't want to have to pay a monthly subscription as I've loads of storage at home, can't seem to find 1 that suits me

Shlippery wrote: »
    There's no stopping you now...you haven't known comfort like turning on and off the bedroom light from within the bed.

Soon you will curse hotels and other homes you visit with their antiquated switches.

I've managed about 15 bulbs in a one bedroom rented apartment and a range of accessories :pac:

I'm looking forward to getting the voice activation working, I think I'm going to pick up 1 big Home speaker and 3 minis, only thing is the missus will kill me if I buy them now as she'll want to buy me something for that event at the end of December so I'll have to hold off on buying them. First world problems.

Right, that's lighting sorted for now....

There seems to be loads of different reviews for doorbells, I like the idea of having the motion sensor recorded but don't want to have to pay a monthly subscription as I've loads of storage at home, can't seem to find 1 that suits me

Check out this one from Hikvision, not cheap, but I think it works with local NVR's etc. Might suit you, but look for more information, I've never seen one in person:

https://www.hikvision.com/en/Products/Video-Intercom/Wi-Fi-Door-Bell/DS-KB6403-WIP

Check out this one from Hikvision, not cheap, but I think it works with local NVR's etc. Might suit you, but look for more information, I've never seen one in person:

https://www.hikvision.com/en/Products/Video-Intercom/Wi-Fi-Door-Bell/DS-KB6403-WIP

Thanks for that, I just realised that I don't want to deal with batteries either, ideally I'll replace the existing door bell with a new 1 and use the bell inside the house. Or just not bother with it, €100+ for a door bell is a bit mad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

There are smart switches which will work with no neutral, they are generally dimmable ones, so you would need to have dimmable led bulbs, so check to see if the existing ones you have are.

Fibaro in wall dimmers are worth a look.

Def hue as well, but I am more inclined to use hue for lamps and mood.lighting rather than as your main to light. Two reasons for this, is in rooms where you have multiple bulbs in tje same circuit it can be a bit pricy IMHO, but the main reason is I not keen on the switching on/off of them, I prefer to have a standard looking wall switch, which is a limitation with hue.

Smart hoover, we have a Samsung one, it's good, but I think a bit over rated. The lacking feature is it has no comma to google etc, but there are models out there which do, and if I had to get one again, I would ensure that it has that feature. You will still need to hoover manually every now and again. The main benefit we get out of it, is we have dogs, so it manages the constant pet hair thing for us.

Music, I'd agree with BK, google is the way to go, a mixture of google homes, google mini and maybe a google max.

Chromecasts etc.

Smart alarm system, or possible way of integrating one also.

I have nest door cam, love it.

If your getting really adventurous, a robot lawn mower. We got one last year, and it is without doubt ine of the best purchases we made in a long time. I could manage without the smart hoover, but you will have to wrestle my lawnmower from my cold dead hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭NSAman

Hi all,

Any advice on what to get and where to get them would be greatly apprecaited.

OK... a word of warning here. I HAD an irobot which was great while it lasted. It DID make life easier. It required a minimal amount of cleaning (trap had to be opened daily to clean the dirt of the day).. all was fine until.......

We have dogs.

One night, while I was asleep one of the dogs had a bout of diarrhea at around 5am, I leave for work at 7 and bring the dogs with me. I didn't notice the said pool on the floor.

The iRobot starts at 9am .....

Needless to say, arriving home after a long day, to be greeted by swathes of SH1t caked into carpets and running all over the wooden floor is no fun.

• Advertisement

NSAman wrote: »
    OK... a word of warning here. I HAD an irobot which was great while it lasted. It DID make life easier. It required a minimal amount of cleaning (trap had to be opened daily to clean the dirt of the day).. all was fine until.......

We have dogs.

One night, while I was asleep one of the dogs had a bout of diarrhea at around 5am, I leave for work at 7 and bring the dogs with me. I didn't notice the said pool on the floor.

Needless to say, arriving home after a long day, to be greeted by swathes of SH1t caked into carpets and running all over the wooden floor is no fun.

One of the reasons we don't run it in a schedule :-).

NSAman wrote: »

We have dogs.

No dogs but 2 small kids so the thought of having the house hoovered while I'm out is great, don't think it's 500 quid great though

There are smart switches which will work with no neutral, they are generally dimmable ones, so you would need to have dimmable led bulbs, so check to see if the existing ones you have are.

Fibaro in wall dimmers are worth a look.

Def hue as well, but I am more inclined to use hue for lamps and mood.lighting rather than as your main to light. Two reasons for this, is in rooms where you have multiple bulbs in tje same circuit it can be a bit pricy IMHO, but the main reason is I not keen on the switching on/off of them, I prefer to have a standard looking wall switch, which is a limitation with hue.

Smart hoover, we have a Samsung one, it's good, but I think a bit over rated. The lacking feature is it has no comma to google etc, but there are models out there which do, and if I had to get one again, I would ensure that it has that feature. You will still need to hoover manually every now and again. The main benefit we get out of it, is we have dogs, so it manages the constant pet hair thing for us.

Music, I'd agree with BK, google is the way to go, a mixture of google homes, google mini and maybe a google max.

Chromecasts etc.

Smart alarm system, or possible way of integrating one also.

I have nest door cam, love it.

If your getting really adventurous, a robot lawn mower. We got one last year, and it is without doubt ine of the best purchases we made in a long time. I could manage without the smart hoover, but you will have to wrestle my lawnmower from my cold dead hands.

I've 2 shields with built in Chromecast and have another Chromecast somewhere so Google sounds spot on. I don't have dimable LEDs but I think I'll look at replacing the existing LEDs with HUE as they go or come on offer.

I'm thinking the automated hoover is a bit too far a spend, I also got rid of most of my lawn a couple of years ago so the automated lawn mower really isn't needed.

I've 2 shields with built in Chromecast and have another Chromecast somewhere so Google sounds spot on. I don't have dimable LEDs but I think I'll look at replacing the existing LEDs with HUE as they go or come on offer.

I'm thinking the automated hoover is a bit too far a spend, I also got rid of most of my lawn a couple of years ago so the automated lawn mower really isn't needed.

Have no fear, we will come up with plenty of other ways for you to smartly dispose of a few quid :-)

Seriously though, I think your next steps would be the google home speakers, and hue so.

I've a Hue with 4 bulbs on order, should be here next week, I assume Energia will take a month to get my Netatmo delivered to me, the wife is going to get me the Home Speaker and a Mini for that event at the end of December, ideally get them in a decent sale, can't believe the Echo is so much cheaper.

You might want to check out the new Google Home Hub too, it looks very nice.

It sounds like you already have a lot of Google/Andorid/Chromecast devices, so yes, I think Google Home would be a better fit for you.

BTW The GH devices are usually reduced during Black Friday sales too, GH Mini £35 for example.

I've way way way way too many tablets in the house already (at least 5) so I don't think I need anymore screens, I can't see what the hub would bring above a normal tablet. I'm going to hold out for Black Friday, I'm in the market for 1 home and at least 1 mini

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,509 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I've way way way way too many tablets in the house already (at least 5) so I don't think I need anymore screens, I can't see what the hub would bring above a normal tablet. I'm going to hold out for Black Friday, I'm in the market for 1 home and at least 1 mini

Ah, you say that now, but if you have kids, definitely don't read this review:
    https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/22/18005724/google-home-hub-digital-photo-frame-review-specs-features-price

I didn't think I needed it either, then I read that and now damn it I need it.

• Advertisement

I picked up a couple of HUE Strips in Amazon Italy this morning, €90 for the 2 of them delivered (discount applied on checkout)

https://www.amazon.it/dp/B0148NMVQA?th=1

F**k it, I went ahead and cancelled that order because I realised I can get the 2 strips and 2 motion sensors for €157 delivered by the weekend. That's €300 on light bulbs this week that I didn't know I "needed" on Sunday.

F**k it, I went ahead and cancelled that order because I realised I can get the 2 strips and 2 motion sensors for €157 delivered by the weekend. That's €300 on light bulbs this week that I didn't know I "needed" on Sunday.

And another one falls into the smart home lobster pot.

Welcome in, make yourself comfortable, you will be here for quite a while.

And another one falls into the smart home lobster pot.

Welcome in, make yourself comfortable, you will be here for quite a while.

I was in Harvey Norman today to get something and I spotted they had the Google Home Speaker and Mini in stock, I picked up 1 of each and was walking to the check out with them, I had to put them back, I'm a junkie already :eek:

I was in Harvey Norman today to get something and I spotted they had the Google Home Speaker and Mini in stock, I picked up 1 of each and was walking to the check out with them, I had to put them back, I'm a junkie already :eek:

You're just not fully assimilated yet, your time will come, patience!!

You're just not fully assimilated yet, your time will come, patience!!

I making a cuppa there and was thinking "I wonder if I could automate this", I'm gone too far down the rabbit hole already I fear

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

I making a cuppa there and was thinking "I wonder if I could automate this", I'm gone too far down the rabbit hole already I fear

In a week you'll have what my wife calls "a list". Mine keeps getting bigger and never ends

In a week you'll have what my wife calls "a list". Mine keeps getting bigger and never ends

I'll never be like that, I mean what kind of lunatic could have a list of things that they want to get that they don't need?

Which reminds me I must keep an eye out for good deals on automated
    • Doorbell Camera
    • Google Home Speaker
    • Google Mini
    • Google Hub
    • Vacuum cleaner
    • Kettle
    • Light switches

It's weird the way that the boards tags is called LIST, it clearly isn't a list......................

. Mine keeps getting bigger and never ends

Ooh er missus

I had to get something out of the attic earlier and found a smart plug that I bought 2 years ago to make it easier turn lights on an off, never used it cause it was awkard to have to go into the app to turn it on and off. I've it setup now to control a lamp in my daughters room and have my 2 daughters setup to use "Ok Google" to control it, this is great fun :)

This is great fun, just a quick update from a n00b in this space.

I've Google home setup on my phone and it's working fine, I'm not overly happy with the voice commands yet, often I get search results rather than actions but I'll sort that out. I'll be picking up a Google home speaker and mini in the black Friday sales.

I've 1 plug setup for control, I'm going to use it for Christmas decorations and might pick up a few more, can't see much use for them to be honest.

I've my Philips Hue bridge setup and have 2 strips above the units in the kitchen, Mrs Clareman is very happy with them and the kids loved having a disco with them last night, might pick up another couple of strips if they are on offer again.

I've to change over a few light fittings for E27 to set them up, a friend is going to do that today for me. I've 17 GU10 bulbs in 1 room alone so I won't be going for Hue replacements as I've loads of spare leads, also, I've smaller leds together with the GU10 in some of the fittings.

I'm getting a smart thermostat from Energia, don't know when that'll arrive.

Finally, I'm going to get a Roborock S50 when they are around €350,hopefully around Black Friday, Mrs Clareman can't wait for it.

• Advertisement

This is great fun, just a quick update from a n00b in this space.

I've Google home setup on my phone and it's working fine, I'm not overly happy with the voice commands yet, often I get search results rather than actions but I'll sort that out. I'll be picking up a Google home speaker and mini in the black Friday sales.

I've 1 plug setup for control, I'm going to use it for Christmas decorations and might pick up a few more, can't see much use for them to be honest.

I've my Philips Hue bridge setup and have 2 strips above the units in the kitchen, Mrs Clareman is very happy with them and the kids loved having a disco with them last night, might pick up another couple of strips if they are on offer again.

I've to change over a few light fittings for E27 to set them up, a friend is going to do that today for me. I've 17 GU10 bulbs in 1 room alone so I won't be going for Hue replacements as I've loads of spare leads, also, I've smaller leds together with the GU10 in some of the fittings.

I'm getting a smart thermostat from Energia, don't know when that'll arrive.

Finally, I'm going to get a Roborock S50 when they are around €350,hopefully around Black Friday, Mrs Clareman can't wait for it.

Does the riborock work with Google assistant ?

I assumed it did going on reviews

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭sligoblue

Op. For doorbell and outdoor cameras, I have ring.com devices, they really are amazing, when we are out of the house/away on holiday, I can see on my iPhone who is at the door/around back of house.

For indoor music system, I have Sonos Play 1 with Alexa speakers, they are phenomenal. I have 2 in kitchen set up for stereo sound, 1 in bedrooms.

Our kids have Bose soundlink revolves in their ensuites, they are water resistant and Bluetooth, sound is fantastic.

All that is needed is good wifi throughout the house, I use a Netgear Orbi mesh wifi extender, we have great wifi in every area of house with no dark spots.

Www.ring.com
    Www.sonos.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Yes, use it myself.

sligoblue wrote: »
    Op. For doorbell and outdoor cameras, I have ring.com devices, they really are amazing, when we are out of the house/away on holiday, I can see on my iPhone who is at the door/around back of house.

For indoor music system, I have Sonos Play 1 with Alexa speakers, they are phenomenal. I have 2 in kitchen set up for stereo sound, 1 in bedrooms.

Our kids have Bose soundlink revolves in their ensuites, they are water resistant and Bluetooth, sound is fantastic.

All that is needed is good wifi throughout the house, I use a Netgear Orbi mesh wifi extender, we have great wifi in every area of house with no dark spots.

Www.ring.com
    Www.sonos.com

Thanks for that, I've pretty must decided to go for the Ring 1 doorbell, I can't justify 2.5 times the cost for HD for a doorbell that I'll just be using to tell the neighbour kids to wait.

I had decided to go with the Google Home setup rather than Alexa mainly because I had 2 Nvidia Shields, 1 Chromecast and loads of Android tablets, I've it setup on my phone and to be honest saying "OK Google" to launch it feels wrong, for that reason alone I think I'll go with Alexa, especially as Nvidia seem to be partnering with Amazon now.

Yes, use it myself.

Cool, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Clare man, I've used both

For me they are both good products but I'm happier with nest hello, but its not hands down

I've a couple of Chromecasts and I simply ask Google home to show the nest door bell and cameras on my TV

IFTT is better on ring IMO. However I've found that I have a better connection with nest

Setting it up was difficult as it kept getting pushed through the nest protect, got it sorted in the end.

I've Alexa and Google home. Google home is winning at the moment. My TV has Google assistant now too and Chromecasts are so cheap

I think nest products are very good.

Also my ring door bell suffered some corrosion on the surface and on the contacts.

I had to take it off to clean it. It's on red brick.
    If you are putting a ring in I'd tape over the contacts not being used, this worked for me, I just should have done it for all of them

This came down to using my screen as monitors and nest on Chromecast wins here. But I could see why Ring would suit others more.

I never thought of having both, thinking about it there no reason why not to

I've it setup on my phone and to be honest saying "OK Google" to launch it feels wrong,

You can say "Hey Google" too, I find it easier to say and a bit more natural then "OK Google", which is an extra syllable.
    I never thought of having both, thinking about it there no reason why not to

Yes, I've both, though don't really use the Echo much any more, in my little ones room now. Though when I get a Home Hub, a mini will move in there.

You can say "Hey Google" too, I find it easier to say and a bit more natural then "OK Google", which is an extra syllable.

Yes, I've both, though don't really use the Echo much any more, in my little ones room now. Though when I get a Home Hub, a mini will move in there.

Must start Hey Google to try that out, having the little ones going around saying "Ok Google" is funny but a bit "brand" and American, I'll change to Hey and try that. I'm usually a fan of keeping to 1 brand where possible.

On a side note, I installed 1 of the Hue bulbs in my 6 year old room, she LOVES it, as a treat every night she's going can choose the colour of the light.I moved the dimmer switch in there as well cause it was awful handy, after reading the story, dim the lights and night night.

• Advertisement
Advertisement