Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TUI

Options
  • 11-02-2010 4:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I have just been handed a letter by our TUI college rep. She said this is nothing personal.

In our school since the A posts and special duties posts have been lost our head teacher has given staff with expertise in certain areas time out of the class room to perform duties. Ie a reduction in hours.

The union say that this is in breach of a directive as they are not pensionable hours. They state that it is unworthy conduct.

Are all school reps engaging in this practice of targeting teachers....

In addition what are the implications of resigning your union membership.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭FlashGordon1969

I have just been handed a letter by our TUI college rep. She said this is nothing personal.

In our school since the A posts and special duties posts have been lost our head teacher has given staff with expertise in certain areas time out of the class room to perform duties. Ie a reduction in hours.

The union say that this is in breach of a directive as they are not pensionable hours. They state that it is unworthy conduct.

Firstly, think carefully about resigning. Once outside you are on your own if you get into trouble with management or a parrent takes legal action. Im not in TUI ,but I know last year the ASTI spent half a million on legal fees so that should tell you the precarious situations teachers can find themselves in. You might get along with your current principal but people change and he/she could be replaced by a bully.
    Secondly-if everyone did what you are considering and went ahead and resigned then the Government could do what they like to us. For all their faults ,teaching unions are the one thing that stand between us and an English type system. We have strong unions-in the UK they are easy lays. I always ask myself if everyone did what Im about to do what would end result be?

As to the issue you raised-the TUI is correct in its course of action. People are being asked to do work for free. no Money. By agreeing to this staff make it harder for the unions to ask for the return of A and B posts. Why? The Department will say schools are functioning fine so why should we bother. There is no guarantee the reduced hours given will always be given and I guarantee you a lot of school positions will absorb more hours than your principal gives.
    In the End TUI/ASTI are democracies. None of these unions issue directives like this without a vote. In the ASTI-the CEC voted for directive. Im sure you have democratoc structures in your union. Before jumping ship at least go to a branch meeting and make your views heard .
    That guy Colm McCarthy was on radio last week saying how quiet the public sector unions were(in reaction) and how that showed they had enough money to take a pay cut. Did you have cash to spare!? The Government are only waiting to cut our salaries more or make you do substitution for free. Its on the reform agenda and if they break us-ENGLISH SYS here we come!

I dont think your use of phrase of 'targeting teachers' was fair. Union reps are paid NOTHING. Its a thankless job. They only check if directives are being followed. Whether disciplinary procedures occur in a union is another matter but unions are democracies-you cant sulk in a democracy if a law is passed by a fair vote!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

If every school principal in the school did this, we'd be completely screwed!

This is exactly what the Union has been warning us about. The McCarthy report sought to abolish posts in schools (the only promotional system available to us teachers) and if we continue to paper over the cracks and run schools without them, by swapping posts and using local arrangements, this WILL happen.

How is this "targeting" teachers? We're trying to preserve our profession.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Just to clarify and I'm not going into the rights and wrongs of the situation. When you say a reduction in hours do you mean a reduction in actual contracted hours or do you mean a reduction in time in the classroom? Because a teacher on 22 hours for example last year and on 20 this year and only being paid for 20 is a reduction in hours. A teacher on 22 hours last year and teaching for all of them and now on a 22 hour contract this year but teaching for 20 and doing post duties for 2 is still getting paid for 22 hours if that is what is on their contract.

It is a breach of directive as we have been directed not to take on the duties of a post holder if you are not a post holder and current post holders duties were not to change.

Don't blame your school rep. They are acting on behalf of the union. If everyone takes on these duties unpaid, then the government will be justified in saying there is no need for them to be paid positions and abolish them.

Union reps are not out to target teachers, they are there to represent you. I know, I'm the rep in my school this year and as another poster said, it's a thankless job

As for leaving the union, well that's up to yourself, but again echoing previous posts, if you need backing if there is a complaint made against you by a parent, or you are not getting your entitlements (eg CID status) you are in a far stronger position when you have the union to back you. It happened to two teachers in my school this year. If the union go out on strike, you have to make the decision to call in 'sick' or pass the picket as you are not on strike if you are not in the union.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 upsetteacher

I dont think your use of phrase of 'targeting teachers' was fair.

I said this as I believe that the union are giving these letters to people whilst working on reduced hours them selves 11 hours in one particular case (getting paid for 22)

There are also other teachers who are in the same situation who have not been targeted as their situation is deemed different even though it is the same.

reduction means getting paid for 22 and teaching a number less than this to allow you time to work on the post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭FlashGordon1969

I said this as I believe that the union are giving these letters to people whilst working on reduced hours them selves 11 hours in one particular case (getting paid for 22)

There are also other teachers who are in the same situation who have not been targeted as their situation is deemed different even though it is the same.

reduction means getting paid for 22 and teaching a number less than this to allow you time to work on the post.

Are you saying the union rep is taking part in this new system of reduced hours-thats a bit hypocritical . Unity is important . You will have to work with people after this dispute finishes and thus, if you stick to directives-you can point fingers at union not each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

The union are working reduced hours themselves? Do you mean the rep?

Up until now, it was not against a directive for an A-post holder to swap his/her duties for another. After tomorrow's meeting between the unions, it may be.

It is against the directive for a B-post holder to take on the duties of an A-post holder as this post carries with it an extra allowance and an hours reduction. It is likewise against the directive for a non-post holder to take on B-post duties.

There are some other posts e.g. co-ordinator of courses, which also carry hours reductions. Your post doesn't make it clear if the directive has been breached by either you or the other teachers.

If you wish to leave the union, which is trying to protect the post structure, it's just a case of contacting TUI Head Office and/or the VEC and cancelling your deduction at source.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jeditraining1

Question for you all. We are to strike next Tuesday. The shop stewart has decreed that I have to stay an hour after my normal finish time. (Normal 4.30 he is saying 5.30) can he legmitally do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭doc_17

What you should ask your principal is where is he getting these 2 hours? It’s probably come from pooling SEN children or cutting subject choice options. There is no other area for them to come from. Your principal is misusing his/her teaching allocation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

doc_17 wrote: »
    What you should ask your principal is where is he getting these 2 hours? It’s probably come from pooling SEN children or cutting subject choice options. There is no other area for them to come from. Your principal is misusing his/her teaching allocation.

Eh doc op is 10 yrs old

• Registered Users Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭Treppen

Question for you all. We are to strike next Tuesday. The shop stewart has decreed that I have to stay an hour after my normal finish time. (Normal 4.30 he is saying 5.30) can he legmitally do this.

Hmmm a TUI strike that starts during school time and goes beyond regular Tuition Hours.

The humour is strong within this one:pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭zero_

'if you get in trouble legally' - if a complaint is given to the guards against you, the TUI won't provide you with a solicitor. Only complains within school and the teaching council.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭coillsaille

What the #%&$ did I just wander into..

What the #%&$ did I just wander into..

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Paulramone66

zero_ wrote: »
    'if you get in trouble legally' - if a complaint is given to the guards against you, the TUI won't provide you with a solicitor. Only complains within school and the teaching council.

What exactly would the guards receive a complaint about a teacher? If you talking child abus that is a complicated situation. Im not sure what the procedure would be there. I suppose it edepends on where this alledged abuse happened.

I don't know what a tracker mortgage is:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ryansmith171

is this happenign

Advertisement