Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Killakee House up for rent

• 18-01-2010 6:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭

Went up to have a look around it, sign in garden, i thought it was a hoax but appears genuine. What an opportunity to live there. Checked it out properly though and theres no public transport,even with a car its quite isolated then add in the lovely people who frequent the Hell Fire club at night!! :p

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?limit=10&id=818150&from_mydaft=1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

What a ghostly type figure in the mirror (pic 3)!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

900 euro per month. Has got to be an unlivable kip for that price

Its actually not bad. And large too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Looks alright to me

Is it haunted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭loldog

Dave! wrote: »
    Looks alright to me

Is it haunted?

Apparently so: http://www.haunted-britain.com/Eastern_Ireland.htm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

doesnt really constitute being haunted that if you ask me. A few people saw a black cat in the late 60s?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

loldog wrote: »

The skeleton recovered in the 70s is pretty creepy.

iamhunted wrote: »
    doesnt really constitute being haunted that if you ask me. A few people saw a black cat in the late 60s?

A large Black cat. But there are also storys of furnature being moved while they are there. Large Bangs and clattering around. Also was the last place to hold an official exorcism in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭paranormal

A large Black cat. But there are also storys of furnature being moved while they are there. Large Bangs and clattering around. Also was the last place to hold an official exorcism in Ireland.

who preformed the exorcisim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

wow! Has anyone requested a viewing yet I wonder, out of curiosity! Surely it's not for rent at that price just because of the history though?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

my question is so what? Its not paranormal to see a cat, to tell a story about furniture being moved or to hear large bangs. Exorcisms are related to the person, not the place.

Its more of the whole 'ooohh it looks scary so its haunted' crap that the irish paranormal community is increasingly getting itself immersed in.
    Rasmus wrote:
    wow! Has anyone requested a viewing yet I wonder, out of curiosity! Surely it's not for rent at that price just because of the history though?

Im obviously missing out on the importance of this 'history'.

iamhunted wrote: »
    Im obviously missing out on the importance of this 'history'.

You seem to be. There was apparently an exorcism there, thats a pretty big claim to paranormal fame in terms of Irish buildings as is poltergiest activity. Haunted or not its got much more of a reputation that deserves investigation that most other locations in Ireland. Plus its famous for being a haunted location as is Maseys Wood across the road. Everyone in South Dublin has heard the stories of Kilakee House. Nothing to do with it looking haunted because it dosn't.

As far as the cat goes, are not large cats ect related to demonic stuff, ties in the exorcism no? Im not saying its anything more than a big cat but your dismissive attitude towards one of the most haunted locations in Ireland without actually looking into it yourself is a bit strange.

More on the actual place itself, its 5 minutes from viewpoint and significant scobie activity plus the Hellfireclub car park backs onto the property and the hill is a haven for drug users. Personally I wouldnt be leaving my car in the driveway. Id say thats the reason for thelow price as its only a5 minute drive from the m50

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Ruth KPS

Oh my goodness it's very cheap!

That's what you pay for a house here, and not as big as Killakee House.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭leddpipe

Grimes wrote: »
    one of the most haunted locations in Ireland

Says who?

Or more importantly, where's the proof?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

leddpipe wrote: »
    Says who?

I think Grimes is coming from a position of taking for granted that there is such a thing, which in the context of this forum is understandable.

As far as locations go it is one of the more well know and documented cases. Take into account that while much of the activity is from 30+ years ago, when you compare that to many other sites which have nothing more than folk tales and myths (which are either much older or cant even be dated) Kilakee is alot more interesting.

I've even spoken to an artist who was in residence there in the late 60s when it was a art centre and the activity was at its peak. I've also spoken to a member of staff from when it was a restaurant and they reported unexplained phenomenon.

I think alot of the frustrations come from the fact you get people being very dismissive yet when it comes to their local "haunt" they are full of enthusiasim.

leddpipe wrote: »
    Says who?

Thanks 6th, more or less what I was getting at. Leddpipe, when I say things are haunted I mean "said to be" haunted, this being the paranormal forum and ghosts more than likely not actually existing, haunted in my book means there are stories of hauntings, ghosts and paranormal activity associated with the place.

Not going to argue the existance of ghosts but the building is supposed to be one of the most haunted places in Ireland if you believe in that sort of thing. Wether I do or do not is not relevant, its said to be haunted therefore it carries that tag.

I think you took that quote out of context to the rest of the post. My post was aimed at iamhunted's attitude of [paraphrase] pfft, haunted me hole [/paraphrase]

Now back on topic, personally I wouldnt fancy living in a house or sleeping in a bed where an exorcism took place. Call me a wuss but there is something about demonic manifestation that puts me off the aul EVP and Orbs photos. Call that my underlying Catholocism or whatever, when a few blokes armed with a cheap EMF reader and some branded t-shirts decided they are qualified to take on the Fallen Angel himself I think the "my group has bigger balls than your group" thing has gone too far :D

What's the location like? Massey's and the Hellfire Club attracts a load of scrotes knacker drinking, etc. -- is Kilakee Gaf close to those areas?

Wouldn't fancy havin my windows put in regularly...

Looks decent to me though, I'd give it a go :D

What's the location like? Massey's and the Hellfire Club attracts a load of scrotes knacker drinking, etc. -- is Kilakee Gaf close to those areas?

You know the carpark at the bottom of the Hellfire Club ? You know the house practically in the carpark. Thats the place. Scrotes and Swingers. Its where most Tallaght people are concieved :p

hmmmm, it would be handy to be able to walk to my regular dogging location...... >_>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Spirals

You couldn't pay me €900 a month to live up there!! I wouldn't mind about the history of the place and it's reputation but it's junkyville up there! I'd say that's why the price is so low. Having said that, I'd love to book an appointment to see the place!

Though I did have a fairly scary experience in Masseys wood years ago (not scumbag related!)

• Advertisement

hmmmm, it would be handy to be able to walk to my regular dogging location...... >_>

PM sent

Spirals wrote: »
    You couldn't pay me €900 a month to live up there!! I wouldn't mind about the history of the place and it's reputation but it's junkyville up there! I'd say that's why the price is so low. Having said that, I'd love to book an appointment to see the place!

Though I did have a fairly scary experience in Masseys wood years ago (not scumbag related!)

Dave related?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭leddpipe

Not going to argue the existance of ghosts but the building is supposed to be one of the most haunted places in Ireland if you believe in that sort of thing. Wether I do or do not is not relevant, its said to be haunted therefore it carries that tag.

Well now THATS more like it, saying what we mean!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Spirals

Dave related?

LOL I hope not!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

sambuka41 wrote: »
    Went up to have a look around it, sign in garden, i thought it was a hoax but appears genuine. What an opportunity to live there. Checked it out properly though and theres no public transport,even with a car its quite isolated then add in the lovely people who frequent the Hell Fire club at night!! :p

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?limit=10&id=818150&from_mydaft=1

It's ONE minute's drive from Firhouse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭the iceman come

I was an occasional diner at their restaurant back in the 90s and I must say the food was really fantastic. The place was always packed and it did a roaring trade,it had a really homely athmosphere to it and when you were waiting for your table there was a log fire to warm your bones by.(Shown in the pics btw)

It seemed to close up very suddenly (or maybe thats just the way I recall it) so one day when I was driving past I called in to see if was still open as at the time I wasnt certain that it had in actual fact closed down permanently.

I knocked on the door and no answer,so I tried a bit more and still no answer. I was just about to leave when the door was slowly opened by what I can only describe as a person who looked like he was going to kill himself, He was only about 22 or so but he quite literally looked right through me when I enquired as to the status of the Restaurant.

"We are closed " was all I got from him and then he just closed the door. To this day I remember that literally haunted expression on his face,the guy looked so drained and unwell.

I wonder does anyone know why exactly the restaurant closed because as I say it did a roaring trade,and I actually really miss the place it was easily one of the best restaurants you could eat in.

Would I rent the place? Hell no:eek: it does seem a bit cheap to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

I had dined in there once or twice myself too, food was very tasty and the log fire very homely.

I do recall a red carpet with black cats on it though.. wonder it that still there? (might be my imagination)

Having experienced a few wierd unexplained things near the place and having had some wierd dreams involving the area I think I would pass on living there, although would love to check the place out.
    Gardai are always up and down the road too with the goings on in the wood/viewing point too...

Just came across these on you tube
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaHF2puk1IU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRrQWFsyVsQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP3ujahYQhg&feature=related

I wonder is that picture still in the reception area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

heehee sorry for the second post, just noticed in the letting description, pets welcome...

Black cat anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

Darragh29 wrote: »
    It's ONE minute's drive from Firhouse!

Yeah but you'd have to drive everywhere,what if ya fancy going for a few drinks? Personally im not a fan of drink driving or walking 20 mins to the nearest bus stop just to go to town!!!!:D

Living in the house wouldnt bother me,reputation wise but def agree about the crazy people that area attracts. There is an old building attached to the side of it and im not going to lie my first thought was that anyone could be hiding in there. Ruled it out because of fear of undesirables rather than poltergeists!!:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭Steve X2

when a few blokes armed with a cheap EMF reader and some branded t-shirts decided they are qualified to take on the Fallen Angel himself I think the "my group has bigger balls than your group" thing has gone too far :D
    Ha ha, Absolute classic. :D

Looks like this will be off the market in the next few days.

You snapping it up eh 6th? Musta been all that talk of dogging that convinced you ! ;)

If I'd the money I'd take it in a heartbeat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

If the money was running better these days it might have been an idea to pill in the money and some of you lads could have done month long investigation on the place.

Saying that thought, you'd probably get bored after a week of nothing happening and listening to people riding/shooting up behind the house.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

6th wrote: »
    Looks like this will be off the market in the next few days.

What makes you say that?

• Advertisement

Talking to the estate agents.

6th wrote: »
    Talking to the estate agents.

Yeah but they would say that have loads of interest to anyone who they think is a prospective renter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

There was an RTE series called 'Newsbeat' back in the '70s, and one of the programmes reported on the psychic and occult disturbances in Kilakee House. The place first attracted attention through newspaper reports with Margaret O' Brien who, with her husband, was working hard to turn Kilakee into an arts and crafts centre at the time. They hoped that it would be a centre where artists could not only learn their craft, but be provided with an outlet for selling their work.

The house itself was originally built as the Dower House for the Massey family and, although the house appears to be mainly eighteenth century in character, parts of the building appear to be older. As refuge and residence, Kilakee has known many famous and infamous people, including W.B. Yeats, 'AE' (AKA George William Russell, the Irish artist, poet, and mystic), and Countess Markievicz.

Margaret O' Brien reported that the manifestations began in 1968, just after the family had begun renovating the house and its outbuildings. Several manual labourers working on the project at the time were said to have left the site without collecting their wages. The alleged phenomena ranged from feet rushing along the upper galleries, to lights switching themselves on and off, and some apparitions that were seen by different individuals. Eventually, the O' Briens were forced to finish the work on the house themselves with the help of friends only.

One of the most impressive apparitions encountered was that of a large and unpleasant black cat (the one that most people have heard about). Some eyewitnesses said the cat was "the size of an Airdale dog", and the cat seemed to favour the square, stone-flagged hall - it was here that Margaret O' Brien and a male artist friend supposedly saw the cat on several separate occasions.

The friend told reporters that one of the incidents (the one in which he was involved) took place in the spring of 1968, and the cat appeared in the hall despite the door having been locked. He said, "I saw it (the cat) crouched in the half-light. I thought my legs wouldn't take me from the place, and I staggered to the front room."
    He also recalled that, at the same time, he received a clairaudient message intimating that, the door that he himself had locked while he had been working, was now open. "The door is now open. See for yourself. Let there be no mistake", said the voice.
    But the apparition of the cat left such an impression on the artist's mind that he subsequently painted a portrait of it from memory. The canvas hung in that same square, stone-flagged hall for some time afterwards.

In conjunction with the apparition of the cat, a shadowy figure would be seen outside the hall door; this shadowy figure was the second apparition that came to prominence. This was an apparition of a crippled boy, who was reputed to have been living in the house in its early days. An unwanted, unloved member of the household, this young lad was supposed to be clairvoyant, and this psychic faculty of his resulted in him being forced to participate in certain magical rituals performed by members of the nearby Hell Fire Club.

When his usefulness had reached its end, and with his deformity being a source of embarrassment to his family, it was believed that the boy was strangled and his body was buried on the ground floor of the old tower. Around the time of the second apparition kicking into action, Margaret O' Brien found the iron effigy of a cat affixed to the wall of the tower, and when she moved in, she removed it and nailed it to her own front door. Apparently this holds occult significance - the occult belief that it may restrict earthbound entities by virtue of its placement.

The apparition of the boy and the apparition of the cat were never seen together, but in succession of the other. The apparition of the crippled boy was mostly present in the area of the hall and its adjoining room, a room which has been suggested to have served the purpose of imprisoning the boy. That room later became the coffee bar in the art centre.

Kilakee House had other apparitions as well, as well as manifestations having been heard, but remaining unseen. The sound of the running feet that fled along the gallery, and the apparition of a man in a torn shirt that appeared from time to time in one of the bedrooms, have been linked to each other. The house is known to have been used during the Civil War by men on the run. One afternoon, three fugitives were cornered inside the house. Two of them, familiar with the interior layout of the house, escaped successfully. However, the third man took a wrong turning, found himself stuck in one of the bedrooms, and was shot dead where he stood.

Of the three apparitions that were seen in the yard, little is known about them, except that they appeared on at least three occasions to different people and they seem so normal, they were mistaken for visitors to the old art centre. The trio of apparitions consisted of two nuns - one of them was fairly stout - and a dark-skinned man. All three were dressed in black. On each occasion they were said to appear in daylight, and they would 'walk' from the main gates, go across the courtyard, and into the passage that leads around to the other side of the house. One genius that spotted them on one occasion attempted to accost them and question them. Unsurprisingly, he didn't get a reply from them.

On another occasion, Margaret O' Brien was in the boutique beside the passageway, and saw them passing the window outside. In trying to ascertain the reason for the recurring etheric apparition of the three people, it has been postulated that they may have been frequent visitors to the house, or had been called in a time of sickness. Sightings, as well as sounds, may never be completely lost, but could remain dormant in the ether until a certain set of circumstances (e.g. renovation, restoration, or demolition) activates them.

Most of the above incidents took place in the spring and summer of 1968.

In 1970, a seance was held in Kilakee House, after which a host of various physical reactions took place. Furniture was broken, lighting circuits were tampered with, and mysterious bells began to chime so loudly that the O' Briens couldn't sleep at night. To add to that melee of confusion, the apparition of both the crippled boy and the audio manifestation of the man in the bedroom (the running footsteps), appeared at intervals during the hours immediately after the seance. The remnants of the furniture were shown to the outside Broadcast Unit of RTE at the time, where one chair was reduced to mere firewood, while the solid wooden arm of another chair was wrenched clean from its place. The following night, the house played host to crockery and bottles being broken, surfaces were covered with a sticky substance of some kind, and some of the canvasses in the art gallery were destroyed.
    Margaret O' Brien admitted at this time that herself and the gardener had previously and unwittingly disinterred some skeleton remains in the grounds; the remains were then re-buried and the grave was blessed.

There were a couple of reports from local people during the 1970s that they had seen a coven functioning in the vicinity of Kilakee House.

During the alleged manifestations, caps and hats would be found in odd locations all over the house. Sometimes the caps contained odd coins, amongst them a Polish crown and a farthing. One cap that was recovered was one bearing strings that looked to have been congruent with the ladies fashions of the early 20th century. Another was a sunbonnet, and there were numerous children's knitted caps and bonnets.

I wish the brave soul who decides to live there the very best of luck with their stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

Was just put onto this by a member and thought I'd update the thread. Estate agents must have been very hopeful or it has been put back on the market as it is listed on daft. I would be interested in taking up residance as it seems quite workable. I would have a iffy moment with the fact that an excorsim has been carried out, bbut I was also told of the more pressing concerns of druggies, unmentionables floating about the house. Is the area really that bad? And is it hard to access town from there by means other than car?

Was just put onto this by a member and thought I'd update the thread. Estate agents must have been very hopeful or it has been put back on the market as it is listed on daft. I would be interested in taking up residance as it seems quite workable. I would have a iffy moment with the fact that an excorsim has been carried out, bbut I was also told of the more pressing concerns of druggies, unmentionables floating about the house. Is the area really that bad? And is it hard to access town from there by means other than car?

You wouldnt be able to walk and I wouldnt advise cycling down that road. Recently (this week) a body was found a kilometer or two up the hill so aswell as drug addicts and scobes the area is also prone to the odd gangland execution. I was up there one afternoon and was eyeballed by a 5-6 older men as I drove passed Pipers Hill. Not a great place to be at night

Thanks for the detailed post MrMojoRoisin. Very comprehensive and an interesting read.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 riseagains

Dont be so nieve all your lives. my mate lives there, it's not haunted!!!!!! he's been there for a while and shockingly enough nothing has happent!!!
    It's all tricks of the mind buddy.

riseagains wrote: »
    Dont be so nieve all your lives. my mate lives there, it's not haunted!!!!!! he's been there for a while and shockingly enough nothing has happent!!!
    It's all tricks of the mind buddy.

Yeah until one day there is a dead body hanging in his bedroom.

On another note, I was driving down the mountains and passed the house on my way back to Tallaght about 5/7 weeks ago. As I passed Kilakee house there was the biggest black dog standing directly across the road from it. No joke. Shat a brick I did. Then I forgot about it until now.

well if it's a rotwilder, that dog actually comes with the house when ya rent it. It's the most harmless dog. Would drool ya to death before he'd attack ya. And I've actually stayed in the house before!!!

riseagains wrote: »
    well if it's a rotwilder, that dog actually comes with the house when ya rent it. It's the most harmless dog. Would drool ya to death before he'd attack ya. And I've actually stayed in the house before!!!

Is it accepted that when you rent a house you get to look after a dog? Also if the tales are anything to go by it might just be the resident devil dog of Kilakee House.

Seriously, when you rent Kilakee house it comes with a big black dog? :confused:

haha deadly :D What a bargain!

Well now in fareness it's not hard to feed a dog twice a day, and give it a bit of water.

but yeah the dog comes with the house. and it's huge. i'm nearly 6ft and when it jumps up on me it's paws are resting on my shoulders.

so that would explain the big black dog for ya!

and seriously i'm not a dog lover but that dog would honestly drool ya to death before anything else.

well i'm not here to tell you what to do. i'm sharing my light on the situation.

and in my experiences in the house theres been no "paranormal activity." and since my mates are living there they've came across nothing either.

Im sure it is, please dont take my post about the dog eating you too seriously. Im sure its a lovely dog, Im not a dog man myself but thats neither here nor there . I was just mentioning the fact that when I passed the place late at night there was a big black dog across the road from the gates. I found this interesting that the ghost story associated with the place included a big black dog. I guess it would be the same as going up to Charleville Castle and seeing an 11 year old girl in victorian dress hanging around.

Also its good to be walking the dog, you wouldnt want to have to get a priest in to exercise it. :D

Pretty much so yeah!!! oh i didn't take it seriously at all.. Didn't mean to sound arguementitive or anything.

Sorry i just think the whole thing is psycological and if you believe in it, then that is what make it all real.

and obviously on the flip side. if you dont believe in it, then you wont see people hanging from the rafters and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

We should really try and get a list of the haunted buildings in Ireland and see if anyone has had any experiences in them.

Anyone been to Charville castle?

KeithAFC wrote: »
    We should really try and get a list of the haunted buildings in Ireland and see if anyone has had any experiences in them.

Anyone been to Charville castle?

Paul Fennell has a book out about haunted locations in Ireland. Its called Haunted. There is also a website you might find interesting.

Most people here have done Charleville Castle although most wouldnt have experienced any paranormal activity there. Its a handy one to do because there are always tours and groups heading there. It can be expensive though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement