Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheltenham 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Croll

Notebook had a willy once. No allowances involved.

Fakir got a 7lb 4yr old allowance off NB in 2019.
    He still wins this time.

Yeah sorry maybe I didnt make it clear but I meant the fact that Fakir no longer has the allowance and not that NB will have one.
    I'll stick with NB anyways:p

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

Abracadbras most impressive victory came at Navan in November on Soft to Heavy ground. I'm not worried about that too much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

Yeah not sure where the stamina issues for him are coming from. If anything he might have beaten Envoi Allen at Fairyhouse that time if the trip was further.

My worry about the supreme is the other horses in the race and that's why I'm reluctant to back Abacadabras, 5/1 leaves me right on the fence. There are 5+ horses with a decent claim in the race. Same story every year though and it's why those backing short prices are lunatics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Un De Sceaux has been retired with an injury, what a servant, 9 Grade Ones and over a million in prize money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭PillarToPost

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Un De Sceaux has been retired with an injury, what a servant, 9 Grade Ones and over a million in prize money

legend who was an absolute joy to watch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

unbelievable horse, so classy

his ryanair win where ruby had his best ride ever at the festival was the highlight for me

happy retirement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Abracadbras most impressive victory came at Navan in November on Soft to Heavy ground. I'm not worried about that too much
    FatRat wrote: »
    Yeah not sure where the stamina issues for him are coming from. If anything he might have beaten Envoi Allen at Fairyhouse that time if the trip was further.

My worry about the supreme is the other horses in the race and that's why I'm reluctant to back Abacadabras, 5/1 leaves me right on the fence. There are 5+ horses with a decent claim in the race. Same story every year though and it's why those backing short prices are lunatics.

Ah Jesus will you stop, my heads all over the place :D

Abacadabras all along was my fancy here, mainly because GE said he'll be better on the better ground. Can see him travelling all over the field coming to the last, but he didnt get up the hill too well in the bumper last year after looking the winner!! Just saying :)

But if he keeps drifting...

I think a drift is on the cards for him alright along with Envoi Allen (unpopular opinion here I'd imagine). Wouldn't touch either of them until the night before or day of. Should be easier to make a decision then as well.

I think a drift is on the cards for him alright along with Envoi Allen (unpopular opinion here I'd imagine). Wouldn't touch either of them until the night before or day of. Should be easier to make a decision then as well.

Asterion Forlonge will be backed off the boards by everyone on the day. He will go off fav if you ask me.

And if Tizzard fancies Fidderlerontheroof, the Brits will get aboard that particular train.

Shiskin way to short and will understandable drift.

It will be an interesting market, a very tricky race to call.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I was hoping Asterion Forlonge took on Envoi Allen, my fingers are still crossed. I am backing him wherever he goes. But there will be a bigger price in the Ballymore. I don't think the Donnelly's would send 2 horses to the same race, why?

Who ever takes on Envoi Allen... there will be much nicer prices available. The supreme is turning into a bit of a minefield. With all the horses trying to avoid Envoi Allen it looks to be a more difficult race to win from a punting angle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I was hoping Asterion Forlonge took on Envoi Allen, my fingers are still crossed. I am backing him wherever he goes. But there will be a bigger price in the Ballymore. I don't think the Donnelly's would send 2 horses to the same race, why?

Who ever takes on Envoi Allen... there will be much nicer prices available. The supreme is turning into a bit of a minefield. With all the horses trying to avoid Envoi Allen it looks to be a more difficult race to win from a punting angle.

asterion is supreme bound , it was confirmed somewhere i think

akelly02 wrote: »
    asterion is supreme bound , it was confirmed somewhere i think

I will believe it when I see the decs.

What price do we reckon Aspire Tower would be for the triumph if he had replicated his prior form at that Leopardstown race?

Might have to forgive him that run for the sake of 6/1 ..

What price do we reckon Aspire Tower would be for the triumph if he had replicated his prior form at that Leopardstown race?

Might have to forgive him that run for the sake of 6/1 ..

My big worry is his jumping. On the new course they have a huge straight and they can go a fair gallop. The first time he jumped at real pace he messed up. 6/1 too skimpy all things considered. At a price I prefer a wave of the sea. He stays lovely and you need that on the new course up the hill. I also like Sir Psycho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Delargy giving it the biggun on the podcast for Cepage in the Brown lads
    Currently 12s

My pick for the plate, Spiritofthegames 14/1 now, will have his measures this time. Just a rewatch of lto will show you. Breezed into it after a horrible mistake 4 out. He was 5th 2 years ago in the county, 3rd last year in the plate. 3rd time lucky!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 314 ✭✭ON ZEE BRIDLE

David Casey would be one of the few pundits I would listen to on these preview nights.Very bullish on Appreciate It but was notably quiet on Mullins other runners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

My pick for the plate, Spiritofthegames 14/1 now, will have his measures this time. Just a rewatch of lto will show you. Breezed into it after a horrible mistake 4 out. He was 5th 2 years ago in the county, 2nd last year in the plate. 3rd time lucky!

Yup yup yup. Just be sure to go ew

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭madmoose

Delargy giving it the biggun on the podcast for Cepage in the Brown lads
    Currently 12s

One of the most overrated ‘tipsters’ out there him, annoys me why arselick Emmett calls him king of the handicaps yet they never win....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BoldReason

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

madmoose wrote: »
    One of the most overrated ‘tipsters’ out there him, annoys me why arselick Emmett calls him king of the handicaps yet they never win....

Tom Segal is useless,but the worst by miles, even though he doesn't tip horses is that addict Steve Palmer. Hard to stomach racing coverage, just turn it on when the tapes go up, and switch it off when they pass the jamstick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

While he might not be the greatest out there, and has an important profile, Tom Segal is far from useless. In the last two saturdays for instance, he has put up Nordano, Mister Mullarkey and Copperhead. Given that he has to tip in particular races and cant pad with 2/1 shots, he is always worth reading and makes cogent cases for decent priced horses - whether they win or not. Never follow any tipster blind.

Tom Segal is not useless. The market caught up with him, but before he got his rep he had great value.

Any of his selections get automatically shaved a point or two by the bookies, before the punters have a chance to get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

As has already been said Tom Segal is far from useless has put up some humdingers over the years and still tipping winners. His insight is always very interesting to read as well. Agree that Steve Palmer has a gambling addiction.

Gary O'Brien best out there
    Pat Keane too

Interestingly GOB thinks Honeysuckle would beat Beni and that Beni would beat Paisley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Charlie George

Where will honeysuckle and benie run with the liklihood of soft ground on day 1.

Half expecting honeysuckle will go champion now
    Hope so too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭howareyakid

PP now have Benie favourite for the CH and the Mares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭howareyakid

Could you see the two of them lining out in what looks a very winnable CH? Although last year we thought it was all about the two big Irish-trained mares and we saw how that ended up.

• Advertisement

PP now have Benie favourite for the CH and the Mares.

That's only cos of NRNB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

I’ve had a tiny bet at 14 on envoi allen for the supreme , just in case . Tiny bet but if it’s soft it wouldn’t be out of the question . He’d be better off in supreme on soft .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭maximo31

I see Nicky Henderson gave Adjali in the County as one on the Nick Luck show this morning. Gone blue on Oddschecker now, including Ladbrokes going from 33's to 16. To me it seems really easy to move a market now.....saying that i had a few quid on myself!!

P.S. great to see a bit more activity in this thread now. That Cheltenham Corona virus thread has really dampend the excting mood that was in here the previous few weeks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

aidankkk wrote: »
    I’ve had a tiny bet at 14 on envoi allen for the supreme , just in case . Tiny bet but if it’s soft it wouldn’t be out of the question . He’d be better off in supreme on soft .

This lad would win the Champ Hurdle if its anyway decent ground. He wont like it too soft. Been told hes a tearaway at home nothing can keep up with him.

maximo31 wrote: »
    I see Nicky Henderson gave Adjali in the County as one on the Nick Luck show this morning. Gone blue on Oddschecker now, including Ladbrokes going from 33's to 16. To me it seems really easy to move a market now.....saying that i had a few quid on myself!!

P.S. great to see a bit more activity in this thread now. That Cheltenham Corona virus thread has really dampend the excting mood that was in here the previous few weeks!

Everything goes blue now until race day. We are at the epicentre of the waffle fest. I saw Colm Murphy in the pub in Gorey last week, he farted and it smelt like Regulate.

Charles Byrnes was spotted shouting out his car window in Abbeyfeale on Wednesday, he said " Thosedaysaregone ya deaf chunt"

Meanwhile in Ratoath shight scrubbers and hay droppers were shooting vodkas and bottles of coors light and looking around nervously, someone heard them say "Ravenhill" another fella said " that phucker Jamie is a bolleex altogether".

It is as rampant as Covid 19 at this stage, get a face mask.

Anybody know whem Betway go NRNB? They only have the 4 Championship races NRNB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭maximo31

Derek O'Connor seemingly to ride Stalker Wallace in the Foxhunters.

Derek O'Connor seemingly to ride Stalker Wallace in the Foxhunters.

Strongly fancy Hazel Hill again
    Saved my week last year
    On his best form he wins this again

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Croll

Derek O'Connor seemingly to ride Stalker Wallace in the Foxhunters.[/quot
    Got some 15-1 on the exchanges when I first seen him quote this , down to 7-1 now on PP, worth a nibble based purely on the jockey booking

There's a few younger lads on the block this year and I think one of them will take it / it'll be a better race than last year. I have Billaway for it, Stalker Wallace ties in with the form but with Derek O Connor now he could be the winner.

Picked out a long shot for the Albert Bartlett last night and went with Run Wild Fred. Couldn't believe my eyes to see Bet365 are NRNB 33/1 on him.

Nice spin around there for Mengli Khan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Nice spin around there for Mengli Khan

If there is anyone out there planning a plot with Mengli Khan, they need their heads examined. That race is last chance saloon for dogs. The implication that they werent trying today is well wide of the mark.

Morgans wrote: »
    If there is anyone out there planning a plot with Mengli Khan, they need their heads examined. That race is last chance saloon for dogs. The implication that they werent trying today is well wide of the mark.

Massively this.

I spent half the morning trying to find a winner of the Coral. It is a great big clusterphuck that something will win. Far too competitive to find a winner.

Mengli Khan is no superstar regardless. Plenty of 33's available now. fill your boots and you can reply to this post saying " ha ha" if it wins, you are welcome.

Just read there for the first time that Alan King plans to bring The Glancing Queen back to the Bumper for her first run of the season. Had completely forgot about her. Was 7l fifth to Envoi Allen last year and a great next run at Aintree to beat Minella Melody by over 2 lengths and Daylight Katie back in third, who hasn't shown this year but was the only one to come any bit close to Gypsy Island after.

I think had she been turned out for even 1 race this year and won it handy then she would be near the top of the market. Will be tough to win first time out for the season but the experience and form alone means she should be shorter than 20/1 for sure.

Looking at the bumper for the 1st time properly and backing Appreciate it at them prices is absolute madness. So many horses either with only decent wins to their names this season or that are completely unexposed.

Looking at the bumper for the 1st time properly and backing Appreciate it at them prices is absolute madness. So many horses either with only decent wins to their names this season or that are completely unexposed.

Popping up every preview night as a "banker". Is in loads of mug doubles offered by bookies. I wouldn't touch it.

Only 5 favourites returned in the bumper, it is a total shít show. Loads of other value in the race.

Morgans wrote: »

Probably true but 33s is to big to turn down for a horse placed in a Supreme and Arkle. Sure I was told the same on here about Chitibello and Wicklow Brave last year. Ill stick with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Probably true but 33s is to big to turn down for a horse placed in a Supreme and Arkle. Sure I was told the same on here about Chitibello and Wicklow Brave last year. Ill stick with him.

If you fancy a horse just back it and talk about it afterwards. I tell nobody anything about the horses I’m backing at this time of year because every man and his dog will have an opinion and I find I start second guessing myself more often than not. If you have an opinion, stick to it.

Was actually the JLT he was placed in last year. Probably the strongest novice race at last years festival.

First year Mullins wont have Ruby riding his fancied horses. Has anyone taken that into account with their bets?

Doesn't seem to be much chat about this.. No one rides Cheltenham quite like Ruby. PT isn't in his league around there.

I dont know about you lot but i'd have it as a negative, especially on horses that will front run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Slattsy wrote: »
    First year Mullins wont have Ruby riding his fancied horses. Has anyone taken that into account with their bets?

Doesn't seem to be much chat about this.. No one rides Cheltenham quite like Ruby. PT isn't in his league around there.

I dont know about you lot but i'd have it as a negative, especially on horses that will front run.

That the fella that used to jump off his horses at the last?

'Tis a good point. Has to be a negative. Townend won't have been under this kinda pressure before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

madmoose wrote: »
    Tom Segal is useless,but the worst by miles, even though he doesn't tip horses is that addict Steve Palmer. Hard to stomach racing coverage, just turn it on when the tapes go up, and switch it off when they pass the jamstick

Ah stop lads, ye are cracking me up here :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement