Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing from Germany

Options
  • 08-01-2020 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

Hi guys. I haven't seen any recent threads on this, so hopefully you can help me out. We're thinking of upgrading our camper, maybe at the end of this year. There's very limited selection here in the layout we need, so we think we'll probably go abroad to Germany, and get a 2 or 3 year old camper, maybe 1 year old if we're lucky. I had some brief chats with some German dealers last summer to suss out dealers over there, and one of them seemed to be of the opinion that I might not have to pay their tax on a camper. If you look at 2nd hand campers on mobile.de (their equivalent of donedeal), it lists two prices for most campers, for example a typical add would say something like €33,600 NET, 40,000 Gross (19% VAT). The dealer seemed to be of the opinion that I pay the 40000 to them, but claim for a refund on the VAT when I get home.
    Has anyone any experience of bringing in a German camper, and whether we're entitled to a non-VAT price?
    Are there any other financial implications I need to be aware of? I haven't really started looking in earnest, but I'm guessing its a case of looking online, finding the right camper, contacting the dealer, maybe paying a refundable booking deposit, flying out, assuming all is OK then pay them the full amount via electronic transfer, drive it home, register it with revenue and pay the 13.5% VRT.
    Is there anything Im missing?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Vat is paid somewhere, if the receipt you get from the German dealer says ex vat you will need to pay it here@23%
    I bought a 15 reg Adria in 2017 privately in Germany and it was a pretty easy process, you will need to get plates made up for export and export insurance which is not that expensive or hard to do.
    Plates in DE follow the person not the vehicle.
    Make sure it has a TUV test which is convertable here.
    Lube up for the VRT ;0

• Registered Users Posts: 33,712 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Is the VAT not paid already but the original owner considering its 2nd hand.. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭niloc1951

In Germany the amount paid for merchandise includes 19 % value added tax (VAT). The VAT can be refunded if the merchandise is purchased and exported by a customer whose residence is outside the European Union.
    The same rule applies to sales in other EU states also.

A problem here is that imported vehicles less than 6 months old or with less than 6,000km on the clock are considered 'new' and are therefore subject to VAT here, but I think in such cases the original VAT can be reclaimed.
    One rule which is definite is that products/services can't end up being subject to VAT being paid twice on the one item without a refund of the lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...it's the same process whether car, bike or camper.

Where a vehicle is for sale for a price excluding VAT, then you can only buy it without incurring it at point of purchase if you have a VAT number here and the invoice is to that entity.

Where you do pay German VAT, and subsequently attract Irish VAT when you go to register it here (by dint of age, mileage etc), then you must pay the Irish VAT and you subsequently submit proof of payment back to Germany (usually the dealer), and you will get a refund of the German VAT to you directly.

It's not that onerous, but you do have to suck up paying the €€€€ at the start.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭PadraigL

Didn't know you could reclaim the German vat..
    So 2 years ago I bought a 13 year old motorhome from a dealer in Germany. Paid the asking price.
    Came back and paid the vrt.
    So can I still claim back the German vat?
    If so how do I go about it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

PadraigL wrote: »
    Didn't know you could reclaim the German vat..
    So 2 years ago I bought a 13 year old motorhome from a dealer in Germany. Paid the asking price.
    Came back and paid the vrt.
    So can I still claim back the German vat?
    If so how do I go about it?
    niloc1951 wrote: »
    In Germany the amount paid for merchandise includes 19 % value added tax (VAT). The VAT can be refunded if the merchandise is purchased and exported by a customer whose residence is outside the European Union.
    The same rule applies to sales in other EU states also.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

For businesses the Vat must be before September of the filling year. Not sure if that applies for individuals. Sure there's no harm in applying.

Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Advertisement