Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1** 27th Jan Forward

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

For about the 20th year in a row Ray is doing the same show on Pancake Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Tell us what you put on your pancakes.

A shovel of sugar.

I suppose Ray puts eggs on his. There's nothing that can't be improved by putting an egg on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Ray doesn't seem to like the fact that the Friends cast are getting 2.5 million for the new episode of the show when it takes him a staggering 5 years to earn that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Not quite the same show as every other year, varied the pancake recipe with some different toppings. Dire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

BPKS wrote: »
    Ray doesn't seem to like the fact that the Friends cast are getting 2.5 million for the new episode of the show when it takes him a staggering 5 years to earn that much.

I rarely listen to him but he does seem to harp on about money an awful lot. Obsessed by it. Seems to mention how he lives a simple life very often but I'd imagine that's purely because he's a hungry miser more than anything. Something very off about the man, so very obviously false and pretentious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭neris

sligojoek wrote: »
    Tell us what you put on your pancakes.

A shovel of sugar.

I suppose Ray puts eggs on his. There's nothing that can't be improved by putting an egg on it.

Lashings of porridge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

I don't think he was like this on the den, seemed like a genuine fella up for a laugh, it seems since he met Jenny he takes himself way too serious and has gone extremely left

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I rarely listen to him but he does seem to harp on about money an awful lot. Obsessed by it. Seems to mention how he lives a simple life very often but I'd imagine that's purely because he's a hungry miser more than anything. Something very off about the man, so very obviously false and pretentious.

Man speaks of simple life yet is described as pretentious.
    jk23 wrote: »
    I don't think he was like this on the den, seemed like a genuine fella up for a laugh, it seems since he met Jenny he takes himself way too serious and has gone extremely left

Sadly, we all grow up.
    The process gets us all in the end.

elperello wrote: »
    Man speaks of simple life yet is described as pretentious.

Sadly, we all grow up.
    The process gets us all in the end.
    He was in his 20s and 30s on the den!! Fairly grown up by then too!!

He was in his 20s and 30s on the den!! Fairly grown up by then too!!

Late developer ? :)

• Advertisement

Late developer ? :)

Maybe but that means you are inclined to like his personality since his later days on today fm and his show now?

Maybe but that means you are inclined to like his personality since then and his show?

I'm agnostic about the "personalities" of most of that type of presenter.

As for the show I reckon it is as good or as bad as most of it's genre.

They are magazine programmes filling a gap between the serious stuff of news and current affairs.

I think he does a passable job most of the time. Not outstandingly good but certainly not as bad as some here paint him.

They are magazine programmes filling a gap between the serious stuff of news and current affairs.

I think he does a passable job most of the time. Not outstandingly good but certainly not as bad as some here paint him.

I have to say to preferred him early on in today fm but like you say maybe with age he has changed his style.

I have to say to preferred him early on in today fm but like you say maybe with age he has changed his style.

Maybe in the early stages of becoming a grumpy old man.

Still there's hope for him yet.

I fancy his chances at the Ronan Collins slot in a few years.

Maybe in the early stages of becoming a grumpy old man.

Still there's hope for him yet.

I fancy his chances at the Ronan Collins slot in a few years.

He actually made a joke on air yesterday about going to lyric fm, I actually think he will eventually end up there

He actually made a joke on air yesterday about going to lyric fm, I actually think he will eventually end up there

He's an old DJ at heart and all old DJ's need a home.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Agreed on the actual show itself being lightweight, its neither the time nor the place for heavy journalism but that being said just because the shown is light hearted it doesnt make it ok that someone with a career that long and on a wage that high with a support team that big makes that many errors and acts so unprofessionally on air.

“Lent has its genesis in religion”. How much is this muppet paid again?

PieOhMy wrote: »
    Agreed on the actual show itself being lightweight, its neither the time nor the place for heavy journalism but that being said just because the shown is light hearted it doesnt make it ok that someone with a career that long and on a wage that high with a support team that big makes that many errors and acts so unprofessionally on air.

Everyone to their own but that sort of detail doesn't bother me in the least.

I've been listening to radio for years so maybe my standards are slipping..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Another woke clown.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

"Any book that centers around a town chipper is alright with me"

Says that man who has made it his life's work to outlaw all unhealthy food. Has the man ever been consistent on any topic?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Field east

Another woke clown.

Excuse my ignorance but what does the word ‘woke’ mean or stand for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Field east

He's an old DJ at heart and all old DJ's need a home.

God spare us. Do you really think that he will be able to manage all those buttons , slides, discs and the planning and research needed to set out a programme. And incorporate into that the fact that as Mr. Darcy ages he will get slower and even. More absentminded . It happens to most of us

Field east wrote: »

Don't worry you are not alone. Most of those using it don't know either.
    It's just a slur you apply to anyone you don't like, job done.
    God spare us. Do you really think that he will be able to manage all those buttons , slides, discs and the planning and research needed to set out a programme. And incorporate into that the fact that as Mr. Darcy ages he will get slower and even. More absentminded . It happens to most of us

Ah he'll be grand once he gets a few tips from Ronan Collins. Bit of on the job training maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Ah he'll be grand once he gets a few tips from Ronan Collins. Bit of on the job training maybe.

A bit of on the job training :rolleyes: oh knock it off, he's an experienced broadcaster (or should be anyways) at this stage, not some trainee apprentice starting out.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    A bit of on the job training :rolleyes: oh knock it off, he's an experienced broadcaster (or should be anyways) at this stage, not some trainee apprentice starting out.

Every day is a school day :)

Sorry, I should have indicated that my comment was meant to be lighthearted.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Every day is a school day :)

Sorry, I should have indicated that my comment was meant to be lighthearted.

True, but it's not that hard using a radio desk, though not knowing the set up in RTE's studios, I can't comment, though it wouldn't hurt Ray maybe to brush up on what he knows..

I apologize for the hot headed response :)

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    True, but it's not that hard using a radio desk, though not knowing the set up in RTE's studios, I can't comment, though it wouldn't hurt Ray maybe to brush up on what he knows..

I apologize for the hot headed response :)

No problem.

Maybe you are right and he is a bit sloppy but as I said earlier that sort of thing doesn't really bother me.

I can understand it might bother some but it just goes over my head.

Being Woke = having awareness of all the sensibilities of others in “minority” groups. Knowing enough to follow all the rules of political correctness around race, ethnicity, gender etc. It had its origins USA where a Black activist used his own dialect when telling politicians “you need to be woke (awake) to the injustices”, of something along those lines. Later it was adopted by white people and grew legs to describe every type of scenario that has evolved around being politically correct. Now it has again been hijacked by likes of us to slag people who spend an excessive amount of their energies around being PC.

• Advertisement

Being Woke = having awareness of all the sensibilities of others in “minority” groups. Knowing enough to follow all the rules of political correctness around race, ethnicity, gender etc. It had its origins USA where a Black activist used his own dialect when telling politicians “you need to be woke (awake) to the injustices”, of something along those lines. Later it was adopted by white people and grew legs to describe every type of scenario that has evolved around being politically correct. Now it has again been hijacked by likes of us to slag people who spend an excessive amount of their energies around being PC.

At least the PC crowd are on the side of angels some of the time.

Advertisement