Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Notice Of Seizure

• 26-02-2020 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Letter arrived in the post this morning for notice of seizure by revenue, it was a fraudulent transaction made, I have proof from bank and received a refund.

Question is what if I ignore the letter? Do the goods get destroyed and its all forgotten about?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭tanit

The best thing you can do is directly contact Revenue and ask them the best course of action. There is little information in your message and Revenue are going to be the best helping you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭niallb

If it's a seizure it's already been handed to the Sheriff (depending on what part of the country you're in).
    They've appointed bailiffs and it's their job to collect money, not to worry about whether you really owe it or not.

Call whoever that letter is from and tell them as well as contacting revenue.

Do you still have possession of the goods in the notice?

If they've been ordered to seize goods to the value of 'X' they're meant to do it.
    Easiest thing to get back at the price you gave it out is money.
    If you already got a refund, can you write a cheque if they arrive for the full amount owed and worry about getting it back later?
    Could be difficult if you've already paid Revenue what you owe them.
    You'll get a higher percentage back on it than you will if they take "goods to the value" and sell them at auction.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Butterfly42

Thanks for you reply. Basically I lost my bank card and there was say something illegally ordered off my card. The bank was notified the same day and my card was cancelled. The item was still delivered and stopped at border control and i got a letter to say it had been seized.

The letter doesn't state a whole lot and they were not very helpful when I rang.

I just want to know will it been taken further or will they just be destroyed and forgotten about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭kennethrhcp

Thanks for you reply. Basically I lost my bank card and there was say something illegally ordered off my card. The bank was notified the same day and my card was cancelled. The item was still delivered and stopped at border control and i got a letter to say it had been seized.

The letter doesn't state a whole lot and they were not very helpful when I rang.

I just want to know will it been taken further or will they just be destroyed and forgotten about.

you lost your card & someone found it & ordered something illegal off it to be delivered to your home address? Am I reading that right?

All I know is I lost my card, got a notification to say my card was used. Cancelled the card within 20 minutes of the transaction.

I dont know what was order or where the delivery address was. I didnt receive an order.

• Advertisement

All I know is I lost my card, got a notification to say my card was used. Cancelled the card within 20 minutes of the transaction.

I dont know what was order or where the delivery address was. I didnt receive an order.

your name & address must have been on the package to say you received letter of the seizure?

if you didn't order it you've nothing to worry about

I dont know what was on the package. But the letter was delivered to an address I have not lived at in over 15 years.

I 100% didn't order it my bank has confirmed they will give me a letter stating fraud and that I contacted them the day the transaction was made.

I'm just worried if I don't respond do they bring it further when I had nothing to do with it.

I dont know what was on the package. But the letter was delivered to an address I have not lived at in over 15 years.

I 100% didn't order it my bank has confirmed they will give me a letter stating fraud and that I contacted them the day the transaction was made.

I'm just worried if I don't respond do they bring it further when I had nothing to do with it.

instead of worrying... why not just respond? I'm def missing something here

instead of worrying... why not just respond? I'm def missing something here

Missing what?

Missing what?

What's the issue in responding? You're on here worried

• Advertisement

A few years ago I ordered cigars from Spain. One of the deliveries was seized and I got a notice of seizure letter. Nothing ever happened after that.
    If it was something illegal, the gardai would be notified and you might get a visit. However, you have proof that there was fraudulent activity on your account, so you don't have anything to worry about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Not saying it’s the case here but what if someone ordered something illegal on line with bank card and then reported card lost or stolen as an alibi in case said illegal products were seized.

OP just ring revenue and find out what the story is probably the easiest thing to do.

A few years ago I ordered cigars from Spain. One of the deliveries was seized and I got a notice of seizure letter. Nothing ever happened after that.
    If it was something illegal, the gardai would be notified and you might get a visit. However, you have proof that there was fraudulent activity on your account, so you don't have anything to worry about.

Thank you for your response. I was going to ignore it and not respond as I presumed the goods would be destroyed and forgotten about.

It just says I have 30 days to respond and if not they may offer
    Settlement terms or they will dispose of the goods.

harr wrote: »
    Not saying it’s the case here but what if someone ordered something illegal on line with bank card and then reported card lost or stolen as an alibi in case said illegal products were seized.

OP just ring revenue and find out what the story is probably the easiest thing to do.

Thanks for reply. And the transaction was cancelled so the product shouldn't have been delivered. The bank was contacted 20 minutes after the transaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭foxatron

What did they order? And how did they know where you lived 15 years ago? Someone you knew maybe?

foxatron wrote: »
    What did they order? And how did they know where you lived 15 years ago? Someone you knew maybe?

It was Nike wear and trainers with a high value. Thinking it might be likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭dennyk

It was Nike wear and trainers with a high value. Thinking it might be likely.

If that's what the customs letter described the items as being, they were probably seized due to being counterfeit goods. Simply having such goods sent to you isn't illegal as far as I know, nor would they generally be able to prove that you knew the goods in question were counterfeit even if you had actually ordered them yourself; online retailer scams with counterfeit items are very common. If they noticed a large quantity of such goods being sent to your address on a regular basis, you might get a visit from the guards on suspicion that you're in the (definitely illegal) business of reselling them, but for a one-off case like this, it's very unlikely they'll do anything. If you ignore the letter, the items in question will just go straight into the incinerator and that'll most likely be that. There's no reason to respond unless you wanted to challenge the seizure for some reason.

dennyk wrote: »
    If that's what the customs letter described the items as being, they were probably seized due to being counterfeit goods. Simply having such goods sent to you isn't illegal as far as I know, nor would they generally be able to prove that you knew the goods in question were counterfeit even if you had actually ordered them yourself; online retailer scams with counterfeit items are very common. If they noticed a large quantity of such goods being sent to your address on a regular basis, you might get a visit from the guards on suspicion that you're in the (definitely illegal) business of reselling them, but for a one-off case like this, it's very unlikely they'll do anything. If you ignore the letter, the items in question will just go straight into the incinerator and that'll most likely be that. There's no reason to respond unless you wanted to challenge the seizure for some reason.

Thank you for the reply. Definitely don't want to challenge the seizure. Just didn't know if i should ignore it or respond as I didn't want to end up with a letter to appear in court.

Advertisement