Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nest hello or Ring Doorbell

• 22-08-2018 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi All

My wife and I are currently building a house and are looking into security and doorbells.
    We will be getting all downstairs windows and doors wired and connected to an alarm but are also looking into getting a Nest hello or Ring doorbell.

I am currently looking into them and what they offer (price wise, installation, subscription features etc) and am wondering does anyone have any advice on which they feel are better etc?

Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭snor

Rufus50 wrote: »
    Hi All

My wife and I are currently building a house and are looking into security and doorbells.
    We will be getting all downstairs windows and doors wired and connected to an alarm but are also looking into getting a Nest hello or Ring doorbell.

I am currently looking into them and what they offer (price wise, installation, subscription features etc) and am wondering does anyone have any advice on which they feel are better etc?

Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
    Faced with same decision at the moment. Which did you go with and are you happy with your decision? Many thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

snor wrote: »
    Faced with same decision at the moment. Which did you go with and are you happy with your decision? Many thanks.

I had the ring
    Switched to nest because casting to Chromecast was an issue. That is addressed now though.

I found ring better for IFTT. I prefer the square camera on the nest

Generally I just like the nest a bit better, but I don't like the lack of access to the movement detector to use for IoT stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Rufus50

Went with Nest Hello in the end after looking up reviews on videos etc.

Thrilled with it. Genuinely one of best items we put into our new build.

The security we get from it is priceless.

Great purchase!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Looking at the 2 options myself

With nest can you turn off lights on it and can you hardwire it.

Looking for one that you can hardwire and not be removed.

Rufus50 wrote: »
    Went with Nest Hello in the end after looking up reviews on videos etc.

Thrilled with it. Genuinely one of best items we put into our new build.

The security we get from it is priceless.

Great purchase!!

many thanks for reply - and to you Stoner. Looks like Nest has the edge!

• Advertisement

I went with the ring pro got it in John Lewis and due for arrival next week. Electrician has wires ready.

Going to link it with Hue hopefully

See how it goes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Nest has true 24 x 7 recording .... doesn't Ring only record when it detects movement?

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Nest has true 24 x 7 recording .... doesn't Ring only record when it detects movement?

Not sure. But wouldn’t any attempted break in/ trespass be movement and so trigger it anyway?
    Not sure if I want to look at hours of recording just if/when activity outside.

keith_d99 wrote: »

Not sure. But wouldn’t any attempted break in/ trespass be movement and so trigger it anyway?

With nest can you turn off lights on it and can you hardwire it.

You can hardwire it. But it's not a bellpush like the Ring

You can't turn on lights with it with IFTT the way you can with Ring and Hue, there's no access to the movement sensors on IFTT on any Nest products to the best of my knowledge.

• Advertisement

snor wrote: »

If you set the recording zone that sets out the trigger record time.

If you've space outside that, areas you didn't set up to trigger record than you might miss the start of something.

If you trigger from the full view then yes it makes no difference

Does that make sense?

So I was asked twice for info on my camera to see cars driving past my house. I didn't have it, even though I can see the road in the camera, I don't record the road space.

If I recorded the whole area , It would have that background information.

Have the Ring bell pro hardwired up and working fine. Getting Notifications on when it's rung disabled motion alerts. Chime plugged in at Hall way

Linked up to Hue lights so lights flick also.

Still working on settings and downloaded rapid ring app works with it.

So far so good

Advertisement