Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rough cost for demolishing

• 27-08-2019 9:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭

I’ve a four bed bungalow that I’m looking to demolish. Got beyond being fixed up. Anyone able to give a rough rough price how much this would cost including removal of all rubble

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

You’d need to give more info,
    When was it built
    What is the floor area
    What county
    How high floor level over ground level
    Are there paths etc

This is really a ‘get 3 quotes’ response..

Btw you need to allow a grand or two for planning permission as-well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

BryanF wrote: »
    You’d need to give more info,
    When was it built
    What is the floor area
    What county
    How high floor level over ground level
    Are there paths etc

This is really a ‘get 3 quotes’ response..

Btw you need to allow a grand or two for planning permission as-well

1700 sq ft bungalow, built in early 70’s, paths around the house and short driveway that I’d be wanting to keep for access. Based in Kerry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

adam88 wrote: »
    1700 sq ft bungalow, built in early 70’s, paths around the house and short driveway that I’d be wanting to keep for access. Based in Kerry

Did you get any quotes since?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Anyone doing anything like this will need to get planning permission and an asbestos survey before even bothering to contact people getting quotes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

adam88 wrote: »
    I’ve a four bed bungalow that I’m looking to demolish. Got beyond being fixed up. Anyone able to give a rough rough price how much this would cost including removal of all rubble

The greenest house is one already standing.

Embodied energy should be taken into account when planning is sought for demolition.

• Advertisement

The greenest house is one already standing.

Embodied energy should be taken into account when planning is sought for demolition.

Did the OP mention anything about green?

I've done up an old house and it's been hardship, I plan on knocking it in the future and starting from scratch.

murph226 wrote: »
    Did the OP mention anything about green?

I've done up an old house and it's been hardship, I plan on knocking it in the future and starting from scratch.

A large part of the building regs are about energy conservation ("green"), the house could be stripped back to 4 walls and start from there. Roof materials sold or used again etc.

I'm in the middle of a farmhouse/cottage restoration myself. It is hardship, most of it is hardship, but so is paying off mortgages and loans for the rest of one's life.

A large part of the building regs are about energy conservation ("green"), the house could be stripped back to 4 walls and start from there. Roof materials sold or used again etc.

I'm in the middle of a farmhouse/cottage restoration myself. It is hardship, most of it is hardship, but so is paying off mortgages and loans for the rest of one's life.

One section of my place was built in the 1830's, the rest of it is extensions added on in the 60's and 70's when there was no money around.

Nothing straight or plumb, no kind of standard adhered to, all different levels and no damp proof course or insulation.

Nothing worth using again on the house at the moment imo. I will be reslating some of the roof soon and I could reuse them alright but that's about it.

Some nice stone there but was badly repointed with cement so I dont think that could be reused.

Not everyone is in the position to be able to do up an old property, easier to knock and start fresh at times.

This thing of local authorities making people keep one of the original walls when demolishing the house is a joke too!

One section of my place was built in the 1830's, the rest of it is extensions added on in the 60's and 70's when there was no money around.

Nothing straight or plumb, no kind of standard adhered to, all different levels and no damp proof course or insulation.

Nothing worth using again on the house at the moment imo. I will be reslating some of the roof soon and I could reuse them alright but that's about it.

Some nice stone there but was badly repointed with cement so I dont think that could be reused.

Not everyone is in the position to be able to do up an old property, easier to knock and start fresh at times.

This thing of local authorities making people keep one of the original walls when demolishing the house is a joke too!

I agree with you on the last sentence. You have a mixed bag.

But at least the OPs bungalow built in the 70s should have DPC and be relatively square/plumb. He would need planning to demolish anywho, which would add time and costs to the project.

Our place is 200yrs at least, parts of it anyway with luckily only a 50/60s porch. We re going to embrace the lack of plumb/squareness and use natural materials.

I agree not everyone is in a position to do up a property,.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,336 ✭✭✭arctictree

Is that really a thing that councils make people do?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

arctictree wrote: »
    Is that really a thing that councils make people do?

In a 70’s bungalow noooo! In a +200 year old property maybe depending on heritage importance etc

Advertisement