Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Airport Transit Visa ...

Options
  • 25-02-2020 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Quick question.

My wife is from the Philippines and she will be travelling home soon.

She will be getting a connecting flight from London, and we just discovered that London Airport might require something called "Transit Visa".

My wife has Stamp 4EUFAM visa, will she require to obtain this transit visa to board her connecting flight ??

On the personal note, this is the stupidest thing I ever heard in my life that someone need to apply for a visa to catch a flight ....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,187 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

have you checked if she does need a visa here https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa/y it seems to suggest she doesn't

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Daniel1986

Yes I was looking at it and I'm finding it confusing...

Direct Airside Transit visa "You might need a Direct Airside Transit visa (DATV) if you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland and you will be changing flights in the UK on your way to another country"

They are saying that you don't need it if you have EEA family permit

Is GNIB stamp 4 EUFAM a family permit ??

• Registered Users Posts: 40,187 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa/y/philippines/transit/republic_of_ireland
    You might be eligible for ‘transit without visa’ if:

you arrive and depart by air

have a confirmed onward flight that leaves on the day you arrive or before midnight on the day after you arrive

have the right documents for your destination (for example a visa for that country)

You must also have an Irish biometric visa (marked ‘BC’ or ‘BC BIVS’ in the ‘Remarks’ section) and an onward flight ticket to the Republic of Ireland.

E-visas or e-residence permits are not acceptable for transiting through immigration control without a visa.

All visas and residence permits must be valid.

You won’t be able to transit without a visa if a Border Force officer decides you don’t qualify under the immigration rules.

not sure what if a stamp 4 qualifies as a biometric visa

Well she will be traveling with our kids. Both of them have Irish passport so she will be technically accompanied by EU family member with gives her right to travel to any EU country 😆

"Stamp4 EUFam: This is the easiest to explain. As part of EU treaty rights non EU family members holding the Stamp 4 EUFam can travel to any EU country as long as the EU Family member is accompanying them. "

Are kids consider as "EU family member" ???

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭lollsangel

It depends ob the humour of the immigration officer. Its safer to get the transit visa

• Advertisement

Yeah it cost 100+ euro and we need to travel to Dublin to get biometric scan ... All that because she will be waiting 2h in London Airport for connecting flight...

I will be trying to call the Irish embassy in UK to get some clarification.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Daniel1986 wrote: »
    Yeah it cost 100+ euro and we need to travel to Dublin to get biometric scan ... All that because she will waiting 2h on London Airport for connecting flight...

My wife is also from the Philipines, and she (and many of her friends here) always avoid travelling via London. Amsterdam used to be the favourite, now UAE seems to be the favourite.

Yes this is the last time she will be going through London... Absolutely ridiculous situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

The problem with flying via UK is that the flights to Ireland are on the domestic side, so you need to clear immigration in the UK, which is typically not a pleasant experience. We avoid travelling via London on long haul flights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Which London Airport? Stansted doesn’t have a transit area, you must go landside and back again in which case you’ll need more than a transit visa one suspects

• Advertisement

She is landing in LONDON, GB (HEATHROW), TERMINAL 2 and she will be flying away from LONDON, GB (HEATHROW), TERMINAL 2 to SINGAPORE, SG (CHANGI).

So she will never leave the Terminal 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I suspect they won't know much. The UK embassy in Dublin may be much more useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

She is landing in LONDON, GB (HEATHROW), TERMINAL 2 and she will be flying away from LONDON, GB (HEATHROW), TERMINAL 2 to SINGAPORE, SG (CHANGI).

She will though, landing in Domestic/CTA T2 and departing International T2

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Heathrow allowed my Filipina girlfriend to pass through back into Dublin but not after a huge scalding by the officials. She was lucky not to be sent back to Philippines. She now books flights home with no Heathrow stops whatsoever

After hours if research I believe she doesn't need one.

As stated before as long she is traveling with the family member she doesn't need any visa. She will be traveling with our kids that hold Irish passports.

And under Directive 2004/38/EC we can read that:

"Family member" means:
    (a) the spouse;

(b) the partner with whom the Union citizen has contracted a registered partnership, on the
    basis of the legislation of a Member State, if the legislation of the host Member State
    treats registered partnerships as equivalent to marriage and in accordance with the
    conditions laid down in the relevant legislation of the host Member State;

(c) the direct descendants who are under the age of 21 or are dependants and those of the
    spouse or partner as defined in point (b);

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

Well she will be traveling with our kids. Both of them have Irish passport so she will be technically accompanied by EU family member with gives her right to travel to any EU country ��

"Stamp4 EUFam: This is the easiest to explain. As part of EU treaty rights non EU family members holding the Stamp 4 EUFam can travel to any EU country as long as the EU Family member is accompanying them. "

Are kids consider as "EU family member" ???

In order to travel on EU treaty rights (EUFam), the person needs to be travelling together with the person through who they qualify for EU treaty rights. If she qualifies on the basis of marriage, then you would need to be part of the travel party.

seagull wrote: »
    In order to travel on EU treaty rights (EUFam), the person needs to be travelling together with the person through who they qualify for EU treaty rights. If she qualifies on the basis of marriage, then you would need to be part of the travel party.

No it's simply states that she need to be accompanied by the EU family member and based on Directive 2004/38/EC her/mine kids qualify as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

seagull wrote: »
    No it's simply states that she need to be accompanied by the EU family member and based on Directive 2004/38/EC her/mine kids qualify as such.

UK not the best for following the EU rules when they were members....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Flying that direction she will almost certainly never meet a UK border agent. In the opposite direction she will effectively be landed in the UK as they apply a similar level of scrutiny to those transiting to CTA as they do to U.K. arrivals. I’m not even sure that a transit visa is the right category for her return (assuming she intends to).

Advertisement