Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Days Gone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

The devs have NOT sorted all bugs, far from it. I still finshed the story the other day and I'm gonna continue to play, it's that good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Meh, I don't measure the value of a game by it's length. Days Gone had many bugs which the devs have smoothed out throughout it's cycle but when a game launches with that many problems I don't spend more than £20 on it on principle if there are still issues. It's definitely on my wish list though. Another few months and I'll take the plunge.
    €29.99 on the PlayStation Store. Take the plunge now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Late to the game here. After having to share my 5 yr old PS4 with the wife...well it became hers....I'd built up a fair collection of games I really wanted to play on the platform (I'm a PC master race guy first, sorry it's just the controller and how games are written to compensate for it). Also after suffering serious game fatigue for about a year (sue me I've been gaming since they were on tapes) I ended up buying my own PS4 Pro a few months back with the express wish to play exclusives and (including PC) games I wouldn't normally play.
    So I've been very lucky for the last few months. Death Stranding, God of War, Control (PC) and now this (almost finished I think).

I really love it. Yes some glitches remain, but they are minor. The main game is so brilliantly written, the dialogue/voice acting and animation per character so absolutely faultless that even though you can see it clearly as a love child between Left For Dead and Far Cry it doesn't matter, it draws you in completely. There are no side missions simply because every one is so well handled, and delivered via radio as you set out to do something else so that it never seems like you are simply Q'ing for XP, it all flows. And the writing for the main and secondary characters is simply superb. My previous bar for this was The Witcher 3, but Rikki, Iron Mike, your love interest...every part of their interactions rings true and is so gripping for it.
    Beyond that the soundtrack is stunning (listening to it now on tidal), the visuals are very good but tbh are not as fluid FPS wise as I would expect.
    Combat is as good as it can be with a controller and the hordes are a blast. Though for the latter my only complaint is how some of the most difficult are hidden behind later missions and don't offer the payback, or warning in advance, that they should
    E.g. the Lost Lake saw mill horde, had tremendous fun for 20 mins running and gunning all 400 of them only to have no clearing confirmation, then went online to find out they only tick that box when done as a later mission

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

my main gripe about the game is it probably goes on a little long, if you think you're nearly finished you're probably not

gimli2112 wrote: »
    my main gripe about the game is it probably goes on a little long, if you think you're nearly finished you're probably not

Very true, I've been at that point for the last 3 nights, thinking that 'today-is-the-day' then something else happens. But at the same time I'm not fatigued by it, the story has changed and advanced enough along the way that I'm still looking forward to the next session. And when I start to get bored it's horde pew-pew time. The fact that so little of the game feels like side-mission filler (bounty hunts excepted) means that to me this feels like one of the biggest core story driven games I've ever played. I've spent longer in others but mentally always file them into segments of story vs. non. Again the only thing that comes close for the expanse of main story is TW3 imho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

I found the hordes tedious, I understand doing a few for the story but not on the side, too much farming for materials before and after, loved the bounty hunter stuff though as it can all be done with stealth if you're low on supplies.

dudeeile wrote: »
    I found the hordes tedious, I understand doing a few for the story but not on the side, too much farming for materials before and after, loved the bounty hunter stuff though as it can all be done with stealth if you're low on supplies.

I actually appreciate that they will use up resources, it forces me out of the end-game demi-god zone back to some early game necessities. I need to think before engaging one as there will be a cost even for success. Also they are the least predictable events in the game, sometimes it goes to plan and then sometimes my well laid annihilation plans get waylaid by a pack of runners that send me dashing through a marauder camp with hell behind me. There's always some tension.
    I liked the bounty hunts initially but they get so easy past midway, zero tension. But I've all of them done at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Meh, I don't measure the value of a game by it's length. Days Gone had many bugs which the devs have smoothed out throughout it's cycle but when a game launches with that many problems I don't spend more than £20 on it on principle if there are still issues. It's definitely on my wish list though. Another few months and I'll take the plunge.

Good call on the length, and in fact I would say this game is a prime example of a game that has such a long playtime that it is actually to its detriment. There are at least two narrative beats that feel like perfect points to call time on the game where you will genuinely think it is finished....only to realise that you're perhaps only 60% of the way through and have a couple of stretches filled with mindless busywork which you will have thought you left behind in the first half of the game.

It's a solid game, but the final third (for me personally) really diluted the experience. So many of the late game quests feel like artificial padding just so the devs could say "come and look at our game, it's 60 hours long!", and the story loses so much steam at one point I struggled to push through the particular stretch I'm thinking of.

As you can see from other posts though, the issues that bogged the experience down for me didn't bother others, so for that reason I would encourage everyone to give it a go at some point, even if I do think some of the gushing over it and dismissal of its problems can be borderline hyperbolic.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭bot43

I am slowly going insane with the Chemult Horde. I can get about 50% of them before getting torn to shreds. Ive gone back into the open world to do some side missions to level up a bit in the hopes that will help. Think Im at level 28 as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

bot43 wrote: »
    I am slowly going insane with the Chemult Horde. I can get about 50% of them before getting torn to shreds. Ive gone back into the open world to do some side missions to level up a bit in the hopes that will help. Think Im at level 28 as is.

That's the 1st story mission where you have to beat a horde right? I remember that was a tough bitch to do and took me a good few goes, scraped it in the end so just keep at it. Levelling up stamina is so important for taking on the horde. As soon as you start slowing down, you're toast. There's a few tips videos for beating it on youtube likeleading them out to the edge of the area where they start turning back allowing you to take on small groups at a time.

• Advertisement

I fought two hoardes, they really scared me so unless I had to, I stayed away. from them. What you do is you get a supply of those napalm bomb things and all kinds of explosives, as much as Nate can carry. Find a big bush, crouch, hurl noisy stuff and when you get a bunch of them around it blow them up. Rinse and repeat ad nauseum, the zombies will be all round you, bumping into you and everything but if you stay crouched it's all good.
    There's youtubery that shows you how.

I did fight two legit. One early on and another in a cave but they were quite small and manageable but still didn't like it.

Yep, its the first horde fight. Was thinking the whole thing was going a little too easily for me as aside from the first breaker ive flown through it.
    Zero-Cool wrote: »
    There's a few tips videos for beating it on youtube likeleading them out to the edge of the area where they start turning back allowing you to take on small groups at a time.

Tried this the other day. Was going pretty well after about 30 minsutes and was taking on small groups etc. Then I blew myself up with a napalm bomb after cornering myself :(

Yep, its the first horde fight. Was thinking the whole thing was going a little too easily for me as aside from the first breaker ive flown through it.

Wait till you get to endgame, you'll be hunting down hordes for fun, it's awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

I really want to pick this up but it's still surprisingly difficult to buy at a reduced price. Even newer exclusives like Death Stranding are cheaper than it now.

Define reduced price? I got it last month for €30

Currently 23 euro on psn store if you have plus, 30 if you don't, absolutely worth it

I fought two hoardes, they really scared me so unless I had to, I stayed away. from them. What you do is you get a supply of those napalm bomb things and all kinds of explosives, as much as Nate can carry. Find a big bush, crouch, hurl noisy stuff and when you get a bunch of them around it blow them up. Rinse and repeat ad nauseum, the zombies will be all round you, bumping into you and everything but if you stay crouched it's all good.
    There's youtubery that shows you how.

Took this route last night. Still havent passed it, but had it down to the last 25% of them. Should sort that tonight and get my "life" back :)

to be fair you don't have the napalm yet and that's what makes great inroads, there's also probably some noisemakers and noisemaker bombs you've yet to unlock which is making it harder for you.

I often get stuck in games and find myself wondering why I put myself through such torment. It's the "F88K you zombie hoarde" sense of achievement you get when you complete it that keeps you coming back.
    Best of luck!

Plan your route, position your bike at a reasonable distance (enough space to put distance between you and your red/runlikehell line to get onto it), get as much Stamina unlocked as possible it's far more important than health when facing large hordes. An LMG and good SMG are essential for larger hordes (thankfully you unlock some great full-auto sidearms and SMGs as you kill more hordes), at least one ammo pack on your bike. Noisemakers can really help at the start of any engagement but you need to know in advance where you can run to break line of sight. I took out the Sawmill horde before having Napalm or the extra explosives perks, just a basic LMG and the first full-auto-sidearm you unlock with 3-4 noisemaker bombs. Took a while but very doable without the extra bewm-bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Use the slow down time, I couldn't beat any hordes until I used the run a little bit away, turn, slow time and blast them with a lmg method.

• Advertisement

I was stuck on yet another horde mission for a week, this time the Iron Butte one. Assumed stealth was the only way. It literally invaded my dreams, and id wake up strategising. But I finally got it yesterday. Started with stealth hiding behind the truck to get them about 60% gone, then just balls out throw a napalm from the top of a container then run. The absolute relief at passing was unreal.

Cant wait for the next one :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

I'm around 15 hours in and really enjoying it. It's not groundbreaking, it can be a bit buggy and the aiming system is a bit crap but overall I think it's a really polished, fun, pretty, and tense game. I genuinely can't understand the review scores that it got, and I feel bad for the developers who clearly put so much time and effort into the game. It's a solid 8/10, for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 BigPoppaDump

Cina wrote: »
    I'm around 15 hours in and really enjoying it. It's not groundbreaking, it can be a bit buggy and the aiming system is a bit crap but overall I think it's a really polished, fun, pretty, and tense game. I genuinely can't understand the review scores that it got, and I feel bad for the developers who clearly put so much time and effort into the game. It's a solid 8/10, for me.

I'm about 30 hours in. It's a bit samey so can understand the criticism but it looks nice and is mainly fun to play. The biggest bugbear I have is the flashbacks with yer wan so I just skip past them when I can.

Cina wrote: »
    It's a solid 8/10, for me.

That surprised me, I see it only got 71 on metacritic. I'd agree it's a solid 8

• Registered Users Posts: 13,807 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

That surprised me, I see it only got 71 on metacritic. I'd agree it's a solid 8

Probably due to people like me who just couldn't get the game to click. Stunning looking, but in the few hours I played of it, I wasn't enjoying myself and it felt like a slog rather than a fun game.

I'll pick it up again, or when it goes on PS+/Now, but it certainly didn't live up to the hype for me, not considering all the other really good games out that year, such as Control, Sekiro, RE2, Borderlands 3, etc.

yeah I get that, I'm a big believer that certain games just don't work for people. I loved the whole set up and game play of Days Gone, they could churn out a clone and I'd pounce on it. There's some classics I've never been able to get into. I won't name them and spare y'all the horror.

To a lesser extent I feel this way about CODs, some of them I loved others I didn't and a lot depended on the era it was set in and the game mechanics but it's essentially the same game year in year out.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Probably due to people like me who just couldn't get the game to click. Stunning looking, but in the few hours I played of it, I wasn't enjoying myself and it felt like a slog rather than a fun game.

I'll pick it up again, or when it goes on PS+/Now, but it certainly didn't live up to the hype for me, not considering all the other really good games out that year, such as Control, Sekiro, RE2, Borderlands 3, etc.

I felt very similarly in the first few hours,, absolute slog and I struggled to see how it was even managing to get 7's. I stuck with it though and it definitely gets a lot better. I would still agree with the 7's personally; the game IMO has huge pacing issues and could do with being 10 hours shorter. It's one of those games though were whilst it's just about a 7 for me, I would struggle to argue with the 8's as I can totally understand why some people loved it.

I probably would have been in the "I love it camp", if it wasn't for those pacing issues which completely sapped any enthusiasm I had for the game at times.

I loved it from start to finish, very solid 8. I started playing through it again recently and definitely felt the slog. I really really hope we see a sequel on PS5.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I really really hope we see a sequel on PS5.
    I agree. It would be a shame if there was no Days Gone 2.

• Advertisement
Advertisement