Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Allowances" in New Built home

Options
  • 25-02-2020 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭

I am wondering how does "Allowances" work when you're buying a new home from a builder in an estate.

For example, it says Allowances for flooring is 2800 euros. So builder told us to get the flooring we like, which is costing 3700 euros including beading and underlay.

Does the builder subtract 2800 from the final house price, which is 270,000?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭Allinall

I am wondering how does "Allowances" work when you're buying a new home from a builder in an estate.

For example, it says Allowances for flooring is 2800 euros. So builder told us to get the flooring we like, which is costing 3700 euros including beading and underlay.

I would take it that included in the €270,000 is €2,800 to cover flooring.

If you choose flooring that costs €3,700, then you will have to pay the builder an extra €900.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Thanks,
    But builder is saying we can arrange the delivery of flooring and he will look into allowances at the very end stage.
    Allinall wrote: »
    I would take it that included in the €270,000 is €2,800 to cover flooring.

If you choose flooring that costs €3,700, then you will have to pay the builder an extra €900.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Thanks,
    But builder is saying we can arrange the delivery of flooring and he will look into allowances at the very end stage.

Be careful here and make sure the builder explains how it works and what you’ll be charged if you go over the allowance.

When buying my home some of the downstairs flooring was included and the builder offered to the rest before closing for €1200.

I spoke to the tiler directly who said he’d do it for €800 (incl. VAT) once I had the keys.

I wouldn’t begrudge the builder his share but I was in no rush to have it done so it suited me to wait.

• Administrators Posts: 53,438 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The house price doesn't change.

Generally the way it works is the developer will pay the floor company up to a certain amount, and you then have to pay the rest.

Well we got bathroom tiling done, I have paid all from my pocket. Although allowance was written for bathroom tiling.

I will check with the builder. It's just the fact builder is very limited in terms of communication.
    awec wrote: »
    The house price doesn't change.

Generally the way it works is the developer will pay the floor company up to a certain amount, and you then have to pay the rest.

• Advertisement

I would be sure to get clarification from the builder before you buy anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

If he’s installing the flooring I wouldn’t think he’ll let you off the whole sum.

So I got first quotation.

Does 4500 euros sound right for a 110 Square meter floor area? Inclusive of fitting and a 12 mm AC5 laminated flooring.

I find it way too expensive and wanted to get opinion/personal stories from others.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

So I got first quotation.

Does 4500 euros sound right for a 110 Square meter floor area? Inclusive of fitting and a 12 mm AC5 laminated flooring.

I find it way too expensive and wanted to get opinion/personal stories from others.

12mm ac5 is a good grade floor to be fair. I would say it might not be an outrageous price as the flooring could be very expensive. Get a few prices and make sure they are pricing very similar grade floors. Also a really good underlay could cost hundreds but a cheap one much less. 40 per meter isn’t crazy I’d think as you could easily pay anything from 20 up just to buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Why will you have beading? I’ve only seen that used where the flooring goes in after the skirting boards and frankly it generally looks rubbish. Much better to get the wood or tiles down before the skirting and there should not be any issue with this in a new build. It may not save you much if any money but it will be a significantly better finish.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone.

I am waiting for 2nd quotation now, fingers crossed.

Thanks everyone.

I am waiting for 2nd quotation. Fingers crossed now

On the beading subject, make sure you tell the builder to not attach the skirtings where you want wooden floors. Or just have them lightly tacked on.

If they put them on properly and the decorator tidies them up it’ll just be harder to get them off without making a mess.

Thank you awec.

I am wondering if the "Allowance" is inclusive of fitting charges?

I am getting different quotes and they are writing "fitting cost (if required) 1100 euros". And this fitting cost exceeds our budget.

Thank you awec.

I am wondering if the "Allowance" is inclusive of fitting charges?

I am getting different quotes and they are writing "fitting cost (if required) 1100 euros". And this fitting cost exceeds our budget.

The allowance is for the total cost, including fitting. If your allowance is 1000 and you buy flooring that costs 600 and fitting is 600 then you have to pay the 200.

In my own experience, and the experience of anyone I've talked to, the allowances given by builders tend to be unrealistic and won't cover the full cost, you always have to stump up extra unless you are buying the cheapest of the cheap.

Thank you awec!

Anyone familiar with Elka laminate flooring? Are they good?

Advertisement