Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cost of skimming

• 06-01-2020 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭

Have decided to skim the walls in the downstairs of the house (as they weren't done when the house was built.

The surface area is approx 40m² in total.

Has anyone had this done recently and if so what was the cost?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭twiddleypop

Jim Salter, do you go ahead with this and how much did it cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

Jim Salter, do you go ahead with this and how much did it cost?

I did not go ahead.

The total surface area was 45m2 and the quotes I got ranged from €1300 to €1800

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

Have you considered doing it yourself? I skimmed my attic myself, walls and ceilings. Cost €180 for the plaster and about five days work as it is heavy manual labour. I'd never plastered before but it turned out great, lovely and smooth. Youtube is your friend here and a bit of self confidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

D13exile wrote: »
    Have you considered doing it yourself? I skimmed my attic myself, walls and ceilings. Cost €180 for the plaster and about five days work as it is heavy manual labour. I'd never plastered before but it turned out great, lovely and smooth. Youtube is your friend here and a bit of self confidence.

Five days including learning? Is that five entire days solid? Would you regard yourself as a perfectionist in DIY? Id love to learn to do it myself as I need some jobs done but I am afraid I would do a sloppy effort that I would later regret.

Five days including learning? Is that five entire days solid? Would you regard yourself as a perfectionist in DIY? Id love to learn to do it myself as I need some jobs done but I am afraid I would do a sloppy effort that I would later regret.

Yes I am a perfectionist when it comes to DIY as I have to live in the house and looking at a bodge job would annoy the hell out of me. I used to get trades in before but with one exception, they don't give a sh1te as it's not their house and while they'd be quicker at doing some jobs, they don't do the job to the standard I'd do myself. If you screw up plastering, it can either be gone over and redone or if it is really bad, it can be hacked off and you start again.

Yes it was five solid days to do my attic as there is a lot of heavy manual labour involved in plastering with carting the 20kg bags of plaster up to the attic, mixing it, spreading it, levelling it off, mixing up a second batch, spreading it, levelling it off and then two more runs of smoothing it off as it dries. There's also the angle beads on corners and taping the joints beforehand!!!

I learned from YouTube (Plastering for Beginners do excellent tutorials). I mixed up a small batch of plaster and practiced on an offcut of plasterboard out in the back garden to learn how to handle the trowel and hawk. Then I started on the smallest wall in the attic. First attempt turned out to be pretty good tbh and then I smoothed it off with a "speedskim" that I'd bought to flatten the surface. This levels out the humps and hollows that non pros like me would leave behind. Then I mixed up a second runnier batch of plaster for the second coat.

With plastering, getting the mix right is key. First batch is thicker than the second. Learning when to flatten it and when its not yet ready to be flattened is another trick. I got better and better as I went on and by the time I'd finished the walls and ceilings, they were smooth as silk and I got a great kick of satisfaction out of it.

Plastering is a messy job and you will splatter a lot on the floor as you learn. Think about putting heavy duty pvc sheeting down in the room before you start to catch the splatter. I had to scrape a lot of splatter off the old floorboards before I could lay the new laminate floor in the attic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

D13exile wrote: »
    Yes I am a perfectionist when it comes to DIY as I have to live in the house and looking at a bodge job would annoy the hell out of me. I used to get trades in before but with one exception, they don't give a sh1te as it's not their house and while they'd be quicker at doing some jobs, they don't do the job to the standard I'd do myself. If you screw up plastering, it can either be gone over and redone or if it is really bad, it can be hacked off and you start again.

Yes it was five solid days to do my attic as there is a lot of heavy manual labour involved in plastering with carting the 20kg bags of plaster up to the attic, mixing it, spreading it, levelling it off, mixing up a second batch, spreading it, levelling it off and then two more runs of smoothing it off as it dries. There's also the angle beads on corners and taping the joints beforehand!!!

I learned from YouTube (Plastering for Beginners do excellent tutorials). I mixed up a small batch of plaster and practiced on an offcut of plasterboard out in the back garden to learn how to handle the trowel and hawk. Then I started on the smallest wall in the attic. First attempt turned out to be pretty good tbh and then I smoothed it off with a "speedskim" that I'd bought to flatten the surface. This levels out the humps and hollows that non pros like me would leave behind. Then I mixed up a second runnier batch of plaster for the second coat.

With plastering, getting the mix right is key. First batch is thicker than the second. Learning when to flatten it and when its not yet ready to be flattened is another trick. I got better and better as I went on and by the time I'd finished the walls and ceilings, they were smooth as silk and I got a great kick of satisfaction out of it.

Plastering is a messy job and you will splatter a lot on the floor as you learn. Think about putting heavy duty pvc sheeting down in the room before you start to catch the splatter. I had to scrape a lot of splatter off the old floorboards before I could lay the new laminate floor in the attic.

Thanks. I really appreciate the help. I will give it a go. It could be a great project if I am stuck at home self quarantining.

Thanks. I really appreciate the help. I will give it a go. It could be a great project if I am stuck at home self quarantining.

Check out youtube (Plastering for beginners and Plastering Force). They do excellent tutorials from learning how to mix the plaster, how to hold the trowel and hawk and how to put the plaster on etc. Taught me everything I know and my job turned out great. If you want any advice, pm me.

Advertisement