Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying tax on extra income

Options
  • 22-02-2020 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

I have a full time job but in the last couple of months I have done a few mystery shopping assignments on the weekends. They pay a small fee and cover expenses of the cost of the mystery shop and travel. How do I go about paying tax for this and will I have to pay tax on the total amount including the expenses? Sorry if this makes me sound like a dunce. It involves free meals etc. so if I didnt have to pay tax on free stuff received would be worth it but if I did it wouldn't be worth continuing with it as i'm already paying higher rate of tax on some of my income for my day job.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

The_Kitty wrote: »
    I have a full time job but in the last couple of months I have done a few mystery shopping assignments on the weekends. They pay a small fee and cover expenses of the cost of the mystery shop and travel. How do I go about paying tax for this and will I have to pay tax on the total amount including the expenses? Sorry if this makes me sound like a dunce. It involves free meals etc. so if I didnt have to pay tax on free stuff received would be worth it but if I did it wouldn't be worth continuing with it as i'm already paying higher rate of tax on some of my income for my day job.

Wouldn't bother my arse declaring it.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭The_Kitty

I'd say the company pass on what they pay people to revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Senature

I know a lot of people would agree with you but that would be tax evasion.

Fees received are taxable income. The expenses should be fine if you keep receipts on file for food, phone, travel expenses such as car fuel, parking, or any other costs incurred by you to get the work done.

The_Kitty wrote: »
    I'd say the company pass on what they pay people to revenue.

Not unless your getting over 5k per year ( return of third party details, might be more can't recall of hand).

Senature wrote: »

I know a lot of people would agree with you but that would be tax evasion.

Fees received are taxable income. The expenses should be fine if you keep receipts on file for food, phone, travel expenses such as car fuel, parking, or any other costs incurred by you to get the work done.

I would declare say declare it if there was any real substance but she seems to be talking about a few free meals a year to write a report and the expenses are covered by the fees.

• Advertisement
Advertisement