Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice Needed Home Setup

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

On another side note, myactivity.google.com is great at keeping track of everything you do on Google services, listening back to your voice commands is a bit cringe

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Clareman wrote: »
    On a side note, I installed 1 of the Hue bulbs in my 6 year old room, she LOVES it, as a treat every night she's going can choose the colour of the light.I moved the dimmer switch in there as well cause it was awful handy, after reading the story, dim the lights and night night.

She'll probably love Google Home too, mine does, animal sounds, tell us a joke, play music, etc. all great fun.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

bk wrote: »
    She'll probably love Google Home too, mine does, animal sounds, tell us a joke, play music, etc. all great fun.

Plan is to get the main speaker and 2 minis, at the moment everything is through my phone, I must setup 1 of the tablets as a portal though, they'd love it, should have done it this week of course when they were off, would have been hours of fun.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Plan is to get the main speaker and 2 minis, at the moment everything is through my phone, I must setup 1 of the tablets as a portal though, they'd love it, should have done it this week of course when they were off, would have been hours of fun.

Yep, the Hue lights and some bluetooth speakers were a massive hit with the kids at Halloween :D

bk wrote: »
    Yep, the Hue lights and some bluetooth speakers were a massive hit with the kids at Halloween :D

I was hoping to have the lights in time for Halloween but unfortunately it wasn't to be, I intentionally didn't take the backing off the light strips so I can use them for Christmas lights. I've 1 of the strips on top of the kitchen units (brilliant lights) and 1 behind 1 of the TVs.

That reminds me, I've to add a 1m extension strip and another 3m strip to the "list"

Hi all,

I've recently changed electricity supplier and as part of the change I'm getting a Netatmo thermostat, as I already have a couple of Nvidia Shields I'm thinking of going whole hog and setting the house ("normal" 4 bedroom semi) with smart devices, I've a friend going to the States next week for work and he'll pick me up some stuff if it's cheaper and works here.

What I'm thinking is......

Smart Doorbell - With my kids getting older this is a must have, would this Nest Doorbell work over here if I bought it in the states? Would there be another better option for a doorbell? I like the video and 2 way communication. My existing door bell is a standard 1.

Light Switches - Nearly all the light fittings in the hose are (relatively) new so I don't want to replace them, I'd like to have some light switches that I could turn the lights on or off? I'd need 1 3 way, 2 2 ways and a few singles.

Cameras - I'd like to have the ability to keep an eye on the kids as they are out playing either out the front of the house or the back, as the weather is turning this won't be needed till the summer.

Speakers/Controls - With black Friday coming up I assume Amazon will have Echos on offer, I'm thinking 1 "main" speaker and 3 minis around the hose, I'm open to Google or Amazon, don't have a preference either way, all our devices in the house are Android if that makes any difference.

Strip lights - I've a couple of cabinets underneath the stairs (1 for shoes, another of jackets), there's a plug in each, be handy to have lights in there.

Vacuum cleaner - The wife would LOVE 1 of these, downstairs is either tiles or hardwood flooring.

Any advice on what to get and where to get them would be greatly apprecaited.

Sorry for the shameless bump but considering I just came on here at the start of my journey I thought I've share my (expensive expierence) so far...

Smart Doorbell - I have the Nest Doorbell, it's handy but not as useful as I thought it would be, you still have to answer the door :) it was handy during the election though

Light Switches - Haven't used these at all, have 2 remote switches for the Hue, never used, only use the app for changing colours or Halloween or Christmas lights, still old school for turning on and off

Cameras - Back garden camera is handy for security but rarely used.

Speakers/Controls - Yeah, I'm a bit of an addict, speaker in every room, groups setup, shared with bluetooth, etc etc Mix of Google Mini, Home and Max, the Max is epic by the way

Strip lights - Very handy for mood lighting

Vacuum cleaner - Best invention EVER, doesn't replace the old vacuum but instead of Mrs Clareman vacuuming 2 or 3 times a day she does it about weekly now, the self mapping option is the best and having the ability to set her off when outside of the house is a great advantage

I've also gotten a couple of Nest Protect Alarms, my old alarms needed replacing (well at least the batteries did) and I may have had a beer or 4 too many and access to Amazon, the path lighting is a great little feature. The Hue sensors are a great addition to the Hue echo system, I've 1 linked to a Hue lamp in the hall which is a great addition as well as over the porch light. I'm replacing my normal bulbs with smart bulbs as the go, my house is all LED anyway so I'm in no panic, I've way too many GU10 bulbs to replace but if I had a spare thousand euro I'd splurge on the colour HUE GU 10s all over the house.

Sorry for the shameless bump but considering I just came on here at the start of my journey I thought I've share my (expensive expierence) so far...

Smart Doorbell - I have the Nest Doorbell, it's handy but not as useful as I thought it would be, you still have to answer the door :) it was handy during the election though

Light Switches - Haven't used these at all, have 2 remote switches for the Hue, never used, only use the app for changing colours or Halloween or Christmas lights, still old school for turning on and off

Cameras - Back garden camera is handy for security but rarely used.

Speakers/Controls - Yeah, I'm a bit of an addict, speaker in every room, groups setup, shared with bluetooth, etc etc Mix of Google Mini, Home and Max, the Max is epic by the way

Strip lights - Very handy for mood lighting

Vacuum cleaner - Best invention EVER, doesn't replace the old vacuum but instead of Mrs Clareman vacuuming 2 or 3 times a day she does it about weekly now, the self mapping option is the best and having the ability to set her off when outside of the house is a great advantage

I've also gotten a couple of Nest Protect Alarms, my old alarms needed replacing (well at least the batteries did) and I may have had a beer or 4 too many and access to Amazon, the path lighting is a great little feature. The Hue sensors are a great addition to the Hue echo system, I've 1 linked to a Hue lamp in the hall which is a great addition as well as over the porch light. I'm replacing my normal bulbs with smart bulbs as the go, my house is all LED anyway so I'm in no panic, I've way too many GU10 bulbs to replace but if I had a spare thousand euro I'd splurge on the colour HUE GU 10s all over the house.

Oops, should have added that I also got a Yale Smart alarm, probably the biggest waste of money I've had, I very rarely set it and haven't installed all the parts yet, a professionally installed alarm would be a lot better

Advertisement