Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Camp Box Doors

Options
  • 11-01-2020 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭

Ok I am planning to build a camp box (A chuck box) for when we go camping in the summer and currently working on my design.

Now I have seen loads of different designs on youtube and pinteresrt, but what I am curious about is design which have a double door fitted to the front.

How do you measure to ensure that the doors open without jamming into each other to that the gap between them is too big......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

I don't know, but as nobody has replied, my two cents worth are.

Is the hinge on the inside or outside?

If the hinges are on the inside of the doors opening out then it shouldn't matter as long as they are not jammed together.

If the hinges are on the outside then looking down on the doors from the top measure the diagonal distance, allowing any extra to center of hinge. This should be the required separation per door I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Yes, it depends on whether the doors are inset ( inside the frame ) or overlaid.
    If they are inset just measure the internal distance of the box or frame and divide by two. You may need to allow about one mm less at the centre to allow the doors to swing or some like to put a slight chamfer on the two opposing edges.
    If the hinges are overlaid you still need half the distance opening plus the amount of overlay. Every hinge is different so use a piece of scrap on the hinge and measure directly. There is no need to get expensive kitchen door hinges - self closing hinges can be had on the usual internet sites for a few euro.

Advertisement