Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best glue for MDF

Options
  • 10-12-2019 1:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭

I have a Christmas decoration made from mdf (it’s a Santa sleigh, about 1cm thick). My 2 year old wrecking ball got at it, and there’s a piece that hasn’t quite snapped off, but is cracking and threatening to do so.
    What’s the best type of glue for this? I don’t want to wreck it by using the wrong product on the mdf!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,122 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Well I would use PVA/wood glue, maybe there are better options? However you can only glue adjacent fibres together so just gluing might not be entirely successful. I suspect you may need a bit of support on it. One possibility - and I can't see the problem so may not be right - would be to 'bandage' it with a bit of papier mache.

Use narrow, torn paper strips (not cut, tear with the grain of the paper and you will get nice straight, soft edged strips). You need a soft paper like old telephone directory or cheap newsprint, not copier or glossy or heavily sized paper. Use 2" strips of paper, apply pva to the surface of the straightened mdf and apply a strip of paper like a bandage. brush it on with your pva brush so it is soaked and lies very flat with no creases. Apply a few more so that the entire damaged area is covered - you are making a thin cast, like for a broken leg. Apply the last layer - you will need about 3 layers - with your fingers so there is minimum glue on the outside. This is so it will paint without cracking or bubbling.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Re attach the decoraction to a backing piece of hardboard or lite MDF

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

He has actually managed to get his hands in it, and broken off the part that was cracked, and now I can’t find it (wah!!!). It actually doesn’t look too bad, if the missing bit doesn’t turn up, i might just sand off the rough edge and leave it as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,122 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Attrition by toddler.

Heart is broken. We put up the tree on Saturday, and I’ve been hoovering up broken baubles ever since. I thought the breakable ones were out of reach, but his hands seem to extend like inspector gadget’s. Nothing is safe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Gorilla wood glue.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,072 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

cat_xmas_tree_06.jpg

He would see that as a challenge

I found the piece and tried gorilla glue, but it didn’t look like it was going to stay. So I (kind of) took the idea of attaching the decoration to a piece of hardwood. I glued a lollipop stick along the back securing the broken piece to the main body. I’ll have to be extra careful when packing away what’s left of the decorations from now on 😂

Advertisement