Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a telescopic fishing rod

Options
  • 03-12-2019 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭

I travel to Portugal and enjoy a bit of fishing from a pier, either spinning for sea bass or using ragworm with weight on the bottom for whatever takes the bait.
    I'd like to buy a good quality, reasonably priced telescopic fishing rod that could fit into my bag. Has anyone got any recommendations?

Also, can I bring lures / small plugs with hooks in my carry-on luggage or would these be considered dangerous?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

Other people can comment on a telescopic rod recommendation, all I know is I've never found a good one I could use and I normally just get travel rods instead.

Lures etc you cannot bring on as hand luggage I've been stopped a few times in the past for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Gorteen

viper123 wrote: »
    Lures etc you cannot bring on as hand luggage I've been stopped a few times in the past for this.

I was thinking of removing the hooks / trebles. Surely there is no reason to refuse me bringing them onboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

I have a telescopic fishing rods I used for years, mostly mayfly fishing, very long, always felt it was very fragile but both of them survived to this day. Have thought about a bit of pier side fishing and a telescopic is what always comes to mind. As long as you don't walk/sit on them they are fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

rod

Not a bad rod for the ridiculously low cost. - I use them myself and im not afraid of the fragility like in some other tele rods.

Once you dont have hooks your fine, handiest way is to post them to yourself on the other side.

You need a licence to fish the sea in portugal, which you can only get if you are from portugal, but the guy in the tackle shop I went to kindly came down to the atm (where you can buy the licence) and purchased one for me with his. Look into the ability to do this before you go.

Rag over there is very small and weird, I had no luck on live bait but had plenty of bass on spinners or lures. The psycho sprat Here was very effective for me in all colours.

I was in surfers paradise so if thats where your headed gimme a pm ill send you marks and point you to the tackle shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Gorteen

ardinn wrote: »
    rod

Not a bad rod for the ridiculously low cost. - I use them myself and im not afraid of the fragility like in some other tele rods.

Once you dont have hooks your fine, handiest way is to post them to yourself on the other side.

You need a licence to fish the sea in portugal, which you can only get if you are from portugal, but the guy in the tackle shop I went to kindly came down to the atm (where you can buy the licence) and purchased one for me with his. Look into the ability to do this before you go.

Rag over there is very small and weird, I had no luck on live bait but had plenty of bass on spinners or lures. The psycho sprat Here was very effective for me in all colours.

I was in surfers paradise so if thats where your headed gimme a pm ill send you marks and point you to the tackle shops.

Where in Portugal is Surfers Paradise?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Gorteen wrote: »
    Where in Portugal is Surfers Paradise?

Peniche. I'll find out the other areas I was fishing aswell

Advertisement