Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tour of Afghanistan in India 2019

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Wicket. Shazad out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

29-1 at the close, Afghanistan looking comfortable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

29-1 at the close, Afghanistan looking comfortable

Very comfortable. Be all done & dusted tomorrow morning. That Rahmat Shah is a stylish batsman, uses the feet well and looks fairly unflappable. Could do very well for them you’d think in future matches.

We just got off to a very bad start and not helped by some questionable umpiring for important wickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Hopefully the wicked goes off tomorrow and if we can't win, we can at least make the scores look respectable

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Very comfortable. Be all done & dusted tomorrow morning. That Rahmat Shah is a stylish batsman, uses the feet well and looks fairly unflappable. Could do very well for them you’d think in future matches

He has 50* now 82-1

• Advertisement

Afghanistan 149-3, won by 7 wickets. Was a bit of a farcical end, lost a wicket to a stumping and a run out near the end, but a very easy win

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

All done. Match won with a four.149/3, the two wickets coming very late on when the result was a formality

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Why was it just a one off test?

Because the ICC only pretend to give a fcuk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

A number of reasons probably.

There was 3 T20s and 5 ODIs already in the Tour, so having more than 1 Test would have extended it longer - Afghanistan are now concentrating on the World Cup I presume.

ICC also want to get sides a few 1 Test series to show them the ropes. Given that there was virtually no income from the Test Match, someone has to pick up the tab too.

Overall, cannot read too much into a one match series but the fact that the team did not roll over is a positive. Areas to work on are - batting in the first innings and bowling wicket taking deliveries.

• Advertisement

HonalD wrote: »
    Overall, cannot read too much into a one match series but the fact that the team did not roll over is a positive. Areas to work on are - batting in the first innings and bowling wicket taking deliveries.

It was a pretty comprehensive win for Afg! Should have been a 9 wicket victory and could easily have been an innings win. They won with a day plus to spare.

Bad start on Day1, failure to build partnerships higher up the order, some questionable umpiring decisions going against us, no real penetration in the bowling - waiting for batsmen to make mistakes.

I think our fielding was generally sharp from what I saw and we can bat down the order - probably a function of our more extensive experience of the limited overs game.

Series averages make for a bit of reading:
    http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/records/averages/batting_bowling_by_team.html?id=12786;team=29;type=series
    http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/records/averages/batting_bowling_by_team.html?id=12785;team=29;type=series

When one of your opening batsman is consistently scoring less than tail end bowlers, there's something seriously amiss. No room for sentimentality - William Porterfield shouldn't be picked. Nothing greatly new in this, from following the team fortunes over the past 10 years, he's been more likely to fail in the matches where we need him the most, scoring more freely against lesser opposition. That's just my two cents from a follower.

When one of your opening batsman is consistently scoring less than tail end bowlers, there's something seriously amiss. No room for sentimentality - William Porterfield shouldn't be picked. Nothing greatly new in this, from following the team fortunes over the past 10 years, he's been more likely to fail in the matches where we need him the most, scoring more freely against lesser opposition. That's just my two cents from a follower.[/QUOTE]

I agree, he fails a lot, and is always picked, but are there any strong alternatives?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Checking back through my posting history here I saw that 2 and a half years ago I was complaining about his uninspired captaincy and how it was time for someone else to take over, little seems to change with our team

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Exactly. It's not like he's a Mike Brearly type where you could overlook his lack of runs for his on field leadership. He's a terrible captain. And I'm not being overly dramatic in using the word terrible. He really is terrible.

This team needs to go to Lords in 4 months. Lords is a predictable as the clock. It will swing like mad until lunch on the first day, then you'll get a batting track for 3 days. We lose the toss and get put into bat, we're in big big trouble. All out at lunch and then watch England bump their batting averages for 2 days. It's going to get very ugly and a step too far, too soon for this team. Something has to change quickly.

Porterfield would probably end up batting if he won the toss.

I agree, he fails a lot, and is always picked, but are there any strong alternatives?

George Dockrell has good experience, few years both behind and in front of him. Generally puts in a solid contribution. He'd be as good a captain as any I'd have thought, but knowing little of the internal politics of Cricket Ireland.

Batting? Stirling and Balbirnie to open, bring on some of the younger players like McCollum - we'll need them for the future anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

I heard Balbirnie might be a good shout for captain. Problem is Porterfield has tons of experience and although Dockroll has too, he's been in and out of the team and hasn't a place nailed down.
    Young wicket taking fast bowlers are a big problem area.

Advertisement