Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Old car for scrap/ keep being offered cash

Options
  • 28-02-2020 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

I have an old polo which has been sitting in my yard for the last year. The clutch is just about gone in it and the battery is flat now as it’s been idle for so long.

I have been approached by members of a certain community with offers of cash for it.

My question is what is the risk if I do just sell it to them??

The official scrap dealers want me to pay them to collect it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Offer it to your local fire station for training.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

osullic wrote: »
    I have an old polo which has been sitting in my yard for the last year. The clutch is just about gone in it and the battery is flat now as it’s been idle for so long.

I have been approached by members of a certain community with offers of cash for it.

My question is what is the risk if I do just sell it to them??

The official scrap dealers want me to pay them to collect it.

Post off the VLC and check any money with a currency pen, same as you would do for any private sale, and there will be no risk to you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Del2005 wrote: »
    Post off the VLC and check any money with a currency pen, same as you would do for any private sale, and there will be no risk to you

make sure you give them a receipt stating for spares and repairs, otherwise they might come back looking for cash for a new clutch or whatever. If they'll pay for it, someone else will, stick it on donedeal for €50 and it'll probably go with less risk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭TigerTim

I just got €100 for an old car I had in the yard from a scrapyard & got back a cert of destruction from government.

Car wasn't starting so they collected it.

Worth investigating.

T.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I wouldn't have them near my place. Let them off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

They'll gladly come in to your house to sign the necessary paperwork and relieve you of your valuables

endacl wrote: »
    Offer it to your local fire station for training.

I've an old Mondeo I'll be scrapping sometime soon. How does that work? Do you just ring them up and sign it over to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

• Registered Users Posts: 15,742 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Do not, I repeat do not entertain any offers from that crowd. My late father sold them an old wreck once and they helped themselves to other items not in the deal and made nocturnal return visits! F**k them and their kind. Just an excuse the case the joint.

Sold another myself through DD to a non traveller, got a call from the guards a few weeks later enquiring as to what it was doing in a public car park.

Go through an established car scrapper not these ethnics, or hucksters, they'll take care of the paperwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Isambard wrote: »
    make sure you give them a receipt stating for spares and repairs, otherwise they might come back looking for cash for a new clutch or whatever. If they'll pay for it, someone else will, stick it on donedeal for €50 and it'll probably go with less risk

A buyer in a private sale has no recourse either way, so signing a declaration is pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

Sell it, fill in log book with new name on it, post it yourself

Job done

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

I wouldn't deal with those types...

Put it on some website and list it for 100.. it will be gone dinner time.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭shane b

Try car take back.Com. put in the reg and they give a quote and they collect and destroy it for you.
    I got a reasonable price for a 06 avensis earlier this year and they collected it from the house and liase with the tax office to say it's destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Why run the risk dealing with cultural ambassadors? Would a legit scrap merchant not also collect for a fee?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

I've an old Mondeo I'll be scrapping sometime soon. How does that work? Do you just ring them up and sign it over to them?

Drive up to the station and set it on fire In front of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭TigerTim

boombang wrote: »
    Why run the risk dealing with cultural ambassadors? Would a legit scrap merchant not also collect for a fee?

The legit scrapyard in Tralee collected my scrapper for free, I handed over the log book, they have me €100 cash & I got a cert of destruction from Shannon less than 2 weeks later.

T.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

You would be amazed how many childer you can get in to a Polo. Unfortunately, they tend to crash a lot on quiet roads

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭osullic

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I think a private sale may be the best option.

I’ve had about 4 scrap leaflets in the last year as well as about 5 unsolicited visits from different members of this community

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Would rather pay someone to take it that sell it to them for cash

• Registered Users Posts: 30,185 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I think a private sale may be the best option.

I’ve had about 4 scrap leaflets in the last year as well as about 5 unsolicited visits from different members of this community

Find out about the scrap guys in your area and which one's are the best to deal with. We've had old scrap cars over the years and every yoke can have a nice leaflet.
    Generally if the place have a landline they might be better to deal with in my experience.(Still be careful)
    Also you'll keep on having visitors until you get rid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Sold another myself through DD to a non traveller, got a call from the guards a few weeks later enquiring as to what it was doing in a public car park.

It takes about 3 worksing days for the motor office in Shannon to make a change of ownership from the registration book you send them.

Did the people you sold it to put it back into your name? :eek:

Advertisement