Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2005/06 Intervarsity Dates

• 10-09-2005 9:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭

Hi,
    Can Secretaries of each club send in Dates for their Intervarsity Competitions.
    I know its a bit early but the IAAA wants all dates in before the AGM in October.
    If you are running a competition the day before an IAAA club please contact that club to confrim their dates etc.
    DCU-Dublin Archers
    Maynooth-Leixlip Archers
    Clarow IT - Dolmon Archers

There are a few weekends to avoid, mainly the weekends that the national coach, Hans Blume, will be over training the squad.
    The dates to avoid are given below. Please check the IAAA website to try to fit your dates in with the rest of the calander. www.archery.ie
    Thanks
    Noel (ISAA Secretary)

Send the provisional dates for the competitions to noelfarrell (AT) gmail.com

IAAA Competitions
    14th & 15th January Irish Open (Team)

National Training Dates
    24th & 25th September
    15th & 16th October
    12th & 13th November
    10th & 11th December
    7th & 8th January
    11th & 12th February
    4th & 5th March
    8th & 9th April

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭trig

We going for six intervarsities again this year? Two before Christmas and 4 after?
    And are there any clubs that might host one this year that haven't before? NUIG perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Panserborn

We (NUIG) are checking out with the sports hall and powers-that-be if we can host one this year. Not that easy for a small club here as the bigger clubs get the hall at the best times! :mad:

Look on the bright side.....at least you have access to a hall big enough for an Intervarsity!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭toxof

First Date is Carlow on the 4th of February 2006.

Next please.....

Send them to me by email and I will confirm them with IAAA to make sure they dont clash with anything else...

PS Hans Blume will be hosting a training session on 24/25th of September. The Sat. session is open up to all, including student..

I would recomend that you attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭span

the two college's hosting competitions before christmas (DCU and Maynooth I think)

If you have'nt got dates set in stone yet could either of you please host a competition on the last weekend of November.

I'm heading to Germany from October till Christmas but I'll be home that weekend. I need to get in one comp before christams to get the required five for the overall individual score.

• Advertisement

I dont know, thats alot of work for one person!!!!! :D:D

It should be no problem?
    DCU should be on the 5th of November and Maynooth on the last week in November.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭mhairesa

span wrote:
    the two college's hosting competitions before christmas (DCU and Maynooth I think)

If you have'nt got dates set in stone yet could either of you please host a competition on the last weekend of November.

I'm heading to Germany from October till Christmas but I'll be home that weekend. I need to get in one comp before christams to get the required five for the overall individual score.

I know that Dublin Archers and DCU are deffo holdin one in November we have to arrange it for a weekend that the hall is free on Sat and Sunday, we can try to have it that weekend for you, no promises tho!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Panserborn

trig wrote:
    Look on the bright side.....at least you have access to a hall big enough for an Intervarsity!

True, we even have a climbing wall there if we get bored! Might be discussing the possibily of an intervar at training today, hopefully that hall is available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭sgtdiesalot

Hi,
    this is alan for nuig. We`re thinking of having our IV on the 21 or 28 of jan, i was wondering how that would affect some people who have exams after the christmas break. :confused:

Those dates are free, with respect to National Training and IAAA competitions. I know DIT wont be having exams then so we would be free to attend.

Any one else free those weekends??

It would be good to have NUIG back on the callender!

• Advertisement

not to mention two weekends on the piss in Galway instead of one :D

If I recall correctly, DCU weren't too enthused bout the first week in November again. If their's was on the second week in November (12th and 13th) and then a weeks break before Maynooth IV on the last weekend in November (26th and 27th), that would keep span and DCU happy wouldn't it?
    You wouldn't like span when he's angry :)

Assuming halls etc are available of course

Yeah, when span gets angry steam rises off his head.....
    I've only seen it once and it was not pleasent :confused:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

I think Jan 21st would be a bad day for DCU. *checks* Yup. January 27th is the last day of exams for the first semester for DCU.

toxof wrote:
    Yeah, when span gets angry steam rises off his head.....
    I've only seen it once and it was not pleasent :confused:

LOL I'll have to upload that picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭baggins

Havent seen the steam or anything, but being but a small halfling i can imagine it being rather scary when span gets angry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Aryzel

Have been in england the last few days, only back tonight, will try and get maynooth sorted out over the next week or so (and get my hands washed of it at last ;) )

On intervarsity dates, as has been mentioned several times in previous years the only range of dates that are reasonable to all colleges, (based on looking at their lecutre/exams/holidays calendar) are:

26th Nov - 4th Dec (this can be extended by a week either side if absolutely necesarly)

5th Feb - 3rd April (less easily extended, several colleges tend to have exams until the 30th Jan, using 10th April is less disruptive over all)

These might have changed this year, as these are just the dates i remember coming up with the last few years when i looked up the various college calendars.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 The Sin

This is exactly what I was sent in April by a DCU guy(sorry Nate!) Sounds pretty set in stone to me.

"Hey Sinead

Nathan here. Just letting you know that the hall has been booked for the
    5th and 6th of November for the joint shoot.

Regards
    Nate

DCU Archery Club

PS congrats on your trophies for intervarsity league."

Maynooth has now set a date.

26th of November - Maynooth - Leixlip 27th
    4th of February - Carlow IT - Dolmon 5th

Whos next?

Its safe to assume that if UCD have an IV, it'll be on the 18th of February. Thats the weekend they always use.
    GMIT are hosting the Nationals again this year on the 5th of March (it says 6th on the IAAA site but that's a monday so I'm guessing the date is wrong). That is as subject to change as it always is but the timing is nice in that we'd have an IV every second week after Carlow.

And then if UL are hosting an IV, no doubt Ewan will decide that week and give us about two days notice again. :mad:

• Advertisement

having serious problems booking our hall at the moment will get back to you when we have a date

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭lilRedSmurf

The dates on the IAAA are last years.
    We still haven't been able to secure a date for the GMIT IV/the Nationals but they will be in march, most likely sometime in the last three weeks.

5th of November - DCU - Dublin Archers 6th
    26th of November - Maynooth - Leixlip 27th
    4th of February - Carlow IT - Dolmon 5th

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Memori

hey, since Ewan has gone and left us I have to sort out this years UL IV. Still trying to sort out the hall booking but I'll be back to you soon. We'll probably host it late in the season again.

Those are big shouty shoes to fill alright. I don't envy you. You'll need to be a lot more pissed off at random events that are completely outside your control and at least twice as menacing and frustrated as the average human being to fill those particular shoes! Will the aforementioned Mr Oughtan be gracing the UL team with his presence this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Renegade_Archer

trig wrote:
    And then if UL are hosting an IV, no doubt Ewan will decide that week and give us about two days notice again. :mad:

Ah quit yer gassin, when the sports dept tell me, I tell ye, its not as if I get a date and then sit on my hands for a month or something. And as Memori said, its her problem now, so go complain at her :P

Ewan
    (former UL captain, looking for a new club to rule with an iron hand)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭mr potato head

Awh but it's so much more fun slagging you!
    Didn't answer the question... will you be coming to any comps in the near future? Intervarsity or not

Depends if I can find somewhere to shoot out here in the arse end of Mayo - Ive bought a target, just have to find somewhere to put it. My cubicle in work isn't big enough :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Cú Aranel

Where in Mayo are you?! oh and i'd be very careful about what you say about that lovely county!!!! :D:D

• Advertisement

Im up in Ballina - apparently there is a trad club somewhere nearby, but nobody olympic-style. Don't have a car yet either so getting to anywhere is a bit of pain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Cú Aranel

FlyBow are near enough,they're on the crossmolina road i think. If you go to their website or Mayo Archers (MAC) then im sure you could sort something out. I live in westport and meant to get up there over the summer but had no time to sleep let alone shoot. U could always come visit us in galway though!!:D

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Just off the Crossmolina road. Ewan, you should give Harry and Cornelia a shout - they're firmly traditional heads, but very open-minded. I'm sure they'd be happy to let you set up your target and do your Olympic thang.

If you want me to do an intro, feel free to PM me.

Thanks to help for the sports centre we have finally got a date for the NUI Galway IV. It is booked for the 28th of january 2006 :cool:

Just got confirmation for the date for the UL IV. looks like it's on the 2nd of April, 06.

GMIT Intervarsity 25th of March
    National Championships 26th March

Both Dates pending Confirmation of Hall booking!

• Advertisement

Memori wrote:
    Just got confirmation for the date for the UL IV. looks like it's on the 2nd of April, 06.

2nd of April is a Sunday...

Are we going to have the intervarsity on the 1st of April..
    Can you check please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

i can just see it now,

judge i need you to call a line breaker, only messin Aprils foo...slap

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Isn't that UL's April fool though? There is no competition. Everyone turns up except UL and there's nowhere to shoot (and no pubs open).

Woops, when I e mailed in the booking I asked if the first saturday in April was free i.e. the 1st, but there must have been a mix up if they booked us in for the 2nd. Am just waiting for confirmation of the change of date and I'll get back to you. Sorry.

All fixed. UL IV is booked for the 1st of April. No more complaints or cheap shots about April Fools please.

• Advertisement

All the dates are been updated to the IAAA website.

3 IVs in 4 weeks is a bit crazy.
    NUIG on the 28th, Carlow on the 4th and UCD on the 18th. Some of us have jobs to work at the weekend, and some of us do not have understanding bosses. UL doesn't even get back until the 13th of February, and from 12th of December until the 15th of February we have no facilities for training.

Thats why we need to have three before christmas.
    Anyway individuals only need 5 out of 6 scores to count.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭MicS

As I understand, we'll have 7 IVs this season. So 6 out of 7 scores to count.

Oh yeah.. what he said!!! Nice one MicS...

I can't really pick and choose which IV's I want to attend, I have to provide the transport for half of the team. Please have a little more consideration next year when the dates are being organised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭MicS

Memori, of course, some consideration is necessary, but it is impossible to suit everybody. Really. Especially if we have 7 IVs. Before Christmas, beginners are still learning ... so November is probably earliest we could start. In December some colleges have exams or close sport halls, etc. Almost everybody have winter exams finished by mid-February, but some colleges have exams or close sport halls during Easter, which could be mid-March. In April-May almost everyone has exams. During summer, most students are not shooting, and it is difficult to move to indoor competition during outdoor season for those who goes outdoors.

So what remains? 2-3 months, at most. Therefore, it has to be almost every weekend for a competition. Then it is not good for people, who work on weekend or go home. You see, there is no simple solution. Anyway, the schedule of competitions is a compromise, it cannot suit everyone. And we had such discussions before season started, everybody was invited to make comments.

If you go for IAAA competitions, it is even busier. In January-February, there are 7 consecutive weeks with some events.

Going to every competition requires some determination. I did not miss a single IV since 2002, though I did not have exams (and holidays either). But I don't remember when I had the last proper rest during the weekend ... whole weekend ... free ... eh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Aryzel

Really the League would probably be best at around 5 competitions, maybe 6.

Before xmas, your looking at two at the most, you can only really shoot from Early/mid November until at the very latest the 1st Sat in Dec. No later due to exams.

After xmas your can't really have any in january, too many have exams. 1st Sat in Febuary to 1st Sat in April is your timeframe. How many you cram into that time is up to ye, but outside that time you are expecting people to miss exams to take part.

After all, how many people would be willing to turn up to competitions in May :P

Carlow Archers have agreed to move their shoot from the 1st of April. There was a clash with UL but thats all sorted.

toxof wrote:
    Carlow Archers have agreed to move their shoot from the 1st of April. There was a clash with UL but thats all sorted.

:confused::confused: That's news to me. We never had a shoot planned for april 1st. Our shoot is on February 4th.

• Advertisement
Advertisement