Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying my First Bow - Advice Please

Options
  • 02-04-2011 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, Im nearly finished a beginners course and Im definitely sticking with archery so I want to buy as good a bow as possible and all the kit as right now I only have 3 arrows and a tab to my name.

Im guessing the best thing to do would be buy a kit with everything I need, Archeryshop.ie is near my house in Wicklow and I want to buy ASAP so they would be ideal if people think their kits are a good deal, basically Im thinking about Intermediate Pack One or Intermediate Pack Two on this page:

http://www.archeryshop.ie/specialoffers.html

The main difference seems to be between the bows, Samick Privlage vs Winstar 2, Im guessing the Winstar is the better bow so Ill probably go for that. Is that kit good value?

Are there any other shops I can look at for kits like these? Ill be asking for guidance on arrow length and draw weight and all that the next night so Im not worried about that.

Also are there any other archery forums with a bit more traffic than this one that I could ask this question on? Is there anything else I need to think of before I buy? Any help much appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

The guy that runs archery shop Ireland is really nice and really knows his stuff. If you arrange to drop into his shop he will look after you. He will let you know everything you need and what would be the best value to invest in based on your skill level and budget.

If you try to source everything yourself individually you would likely find most things cheaper elsewhere, but if you don't have the know how it can be quite daunting to figure out what stuff to buy.

If you want to shop around some good websites are www.quicksarchery.co.uk and www.merlinarcherycentre.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Im snowed under at work at the minute and if people think that €500 kit is a good deal Im going to grab it, it sounds like an ideal beginner bow from the little I can find about it. By the way Valleymount just looks like a few houses on Google Maps, is there actually a shop there or am I looking in the wrong place?

http://maps.google.ie/maps?q=valleymount+wicklow&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Valleymount,+County+Wicklow&gl=ie&ll=53.091705,-6.514206&spn=0.025927,0.084543&z=14

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

The shop is in the garage on the side of Keith's house just outside Vallymount. Not sure of the official shop opening hours or even if there are any, your probably best giving him a call before you head over. His contact details are on the website http://archeryshop.ie/ContactUs.html

The Intermediate Pack 1 and 2 both contain fairly popular intermediate level bows. I'm not 100% sure the pack 2 is worth the extra e100 i don't think there is a huge difference between them both, totally open to being wrong on that one tho. The pack 1 is good value in my opinion.

I like the red colour though :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZKKOGru3jg

It just looks sweet, the Privilege is apparently known for being the cheapest riser you can get with the universal fittings thing and apart from that just a fairly okay beginners bow, the Winstar 2 seems to be rated as a good beginners to intermediate bow so I think the extra 100 Euro is worth it just so Im not left wondering what might have been, plus there seems to be a better model sights in there aswell, Ill discuss this all with people in my club the next night anyway before I buy, thanks for the help Tiddlypeeps, goodnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

You probably want to go down the route of more modern kit but if you would consider something different you should give Flybow in Ballina a shout and talk to Harold. Check out his site at Flybowshop.com. There is something about traditional archery,handmade bows and arrows and all sorts,that is very satisfying and it feels that bit more natural. I don't know if you want to get into comp shooting but if you do maybe you would consider the trad approach. Trust me,it's worth it...just my 2 cents...

• Advertisement

I love the idea of it and maybe someday Ill own one but right now I want an Olympic Recurve until I get good, they probably cost a fortune anyway, handmade custom things like those? I love the idea of it alright and Id love to see a bow being made sometime but right now Im a poor student and I want to shoot recurves with everyone else in the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mr X15

Hey Thargor, if you're thinking of having a look at the Winstar 2, have a look at the Samick Vision and the new Hoyt risers too. At about the same price mark you'll get something newer in terms of design. Also it does well to have a feel of the risers and how different sets of limbs feel to draw up.

eFor your first limbs buy cheap. Something like Samick Privelage limbs. You will likely increase your poundage over time so not having sunk a whole load of money into things you will replace is a better idea, and you can always sell your old ones on. Not only that when you move onto something better you will feel the difference and it will be a pleasant one. Build muscle, then get going on shooting comfortable, strong limbs.

In terms of the accessories you get with those kits, all cheap and cheerful really.The gompy case isn't the best if you plan on walking far or cycling but if you have a car will suit fine. Avoid the cheapest of the cartel sights and go straight to a k-sight. Worth the extra 10-15 euro by more than a noticeable margin. Make sure you get a decent tab and an armguard that suits you too. Cartel's smart tab is a good tab for the price and can have a bit of customisation to your own preferences. Armguards are tricky beasts as depending on your arms and your form you'll need to get one that does the job well. Can't go wrong with a full arm one to start, but if you rarely hit yourself, get one that sits tight and doesn't break easily. Easton's are good.

For arrows, well, anything more than Easton Jazz will outshoot you for a while! Platinum's are good in their price range. Keith in archery shop Ireland may have some Sky Art arrows in which I hear are quite good, and cheap enough too. All in all, at the beginning get something that will stand the odd miss and a bit of abuse. When you get good enough then you might consider something more expensive.

Overall the most important thing is the sizing and fit of all your gear. If your riser is too short you will find that you can't see your sight pin as you work up the pounds so unless you have a small face or will never be shooting a 200 fps ish bow at 18 metres make sure you get a riser length that suits. Your options are 23 inch and 25 inch generally, with Hoyt and Bernardini being the only ones I know of offering shorter than 23 and very few offering 27 inch risers (for those with a very long draw length). Limbs are a similar thing in this regard. The longer your draw length, generally the longer limb you need to be comfortable. I shot a 23 inch riser with medium limbs giving me a 66 inch bow, but my draw length is along the lines of 30 inches. Meant when I was using 30 pound limbs I got a hell of a lot more. On the other side, shorter bows are faster. It's all about trying it out and seeing how you feel. Arrows then have to suit your draw length and poundage. All in all, talk to somebody in your club or in a shop to get you sized up right and your life will be more comfortable!

Hope I was helpful!

Thats perfect Mr X15 thanks for the tip about the sight, Ill be talking to someone about measurements tonight, can I just ask about what you said about the Winstar 2 and getting "something newer in terms of design", what do you mean by that exactly? Do you consider the Winstar a no-no?

As for the case I was talking to Keith and he says he uses these backpacks anymore instead of cases with his kits which is a big plus for me as its a 6km cycle to the club:

http://www.legendarchery.com/index.php/backpacks-3/streamline-backpack.html

Thargor wrote: »
    Thats perfect Mr X15 thanks for the tip about the sight, Ill be talking to someone about measurements tonight, can I just ask about what you said about the Winstar 2 and getting "something newer in terms of design", what do you mean by that exactly? Do you consider the Winstar a no-no?

As for the case I was talking to Keith and he says he uses these backpacks anymore instead of cases with his kits which is a big plus for me as its a 6km cycle to the club:

http://www.legendarchery.com/index.php/backpacks-3/streamline-backpack.html

Those backpacks are definitely the way to go if you want something dedicated to archery gear alright! No, not at all, the winstar is a riser that is solid and reliable and I know a lot of people shooting one or who have shot one at one stage. I'm just saying it's an old design and you may end up liking something else. I favour Samick gear myself as I like the feel, but you may be more a Hoyt or Win&Win. It's all about feel, and I was just encouraging the idea of trying things in hand. The Hoyt Horizon for example is very light, which some people like, where my Samick vision is on the heavier side.
    Also the two risers I've mentioned have a slightly better adjustment system if I recall correctly, but you'll pay more for them. A piece of advice I was given (and ignored foolishly) was to spend as much as you can on a riser you like, as you won't need to replace it soon. All in all though if you like the Winstar, and can't see a better one around you can afford, by all means you won't regret having it!
    Hope you come to love the sport as much as I do!

Well I was on to Archeryshop.ie again and Ive settled on the Samick Vision after your suggestion and all the good things Ive read about it, especially the last 3 minutes of this review:

It sounds brilliant, just putting standard Privilege limbs on it for now, 32lb, also getting an Aurora Techno quiver and the K-Sights, the rest is just the standard gear from the Intermediate packs on http://www.archeryshop.ie/specialoffers.html, I can improve that as I go along.

537491.jpg
    streamline-red.jpg

Should have it in 2 weeks or so just as I finish the course, cant fecking wait now, thanks people :p

• Advertisement

Good choice on the riser there, but of course I would say that :p Hope you enjoy your new kit and hope to see you on the shooting line!

Thanks Mr X15, actually I had a look on MerlinArchery.co.uk and realised that even with the price of a courier I can get stuff that's way higher quality for about 100 euro less so Im going to go with them instead:

y4K12.png
    BXcRv.pngfUkD4.pngEM69U.pngy0UVH.png

If you see something you dont think will work let me know please but Im going to order tonight sometime, all that stuff gets really good reviews.

It's all golden from what I see. You'll be moving off those limbs, the sight is pretty good quality, the rest is pretty top quality, the cartel rods are decent for what you pay and the tab and quiver are nice. Good choices!

Forgot to ask, what arrows are you planning on getting? What I started with were Easton Platinum plus arrows. If you buy all the components from archeryshop.ie you should save a bit of money and then you can have somebody teach you how to put them together in your club. Otherwise you can pay to have them put together for you. Saves hassle but you will eventually want to learn.

There are a lot of arrows for sale in our club at the minute, people buying secondhand kits with crates of arrows coming with them so Ill hold off for now while I get good, Ill buy some decent ones when I know what I want, there's an advanced course after the beginners course where they go into that stuff anyway, thanks for all your help Mr X15, one last thing though, do you see a better sight for similar or slightly more money on either of these pages? Im not ordering until tomorrow night now, have to deposit some cash:

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=archery+sight&_sacat=0&_odkw=i.html....c0.m270.l1311&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1311

http://www.merlinarcherycentre.co.uk/acatalog/Recurve_Sights.html

Also I upgraded the backpack to this one, why not, Ill probably have it forever and its waterproof for the 6km cycle to the club, plus it looks too good not to :D

LegendPro-Red-700.jpg

For similar money the sights on merlin all seem to be similar quality. Pay more, and you'll get a better one, but the gap is about 40-50 between your budget and better ones if you get me. In my opinion a bag is a bag is a bag! You should see what I'm using for one. Get whatever bag you like, as long as you like the look they're all pretty similar feature-wise. If you're more adventurous like myself you could always get all the other kit, measure it out and try to find a bag that just fits. All of my gear is cramped into my bag, but it's more compact than what most archers are carrying.

Secondhand arrows are grand for practice and training, but make sure you get a new set that are all perfect for competitions :D

Thats perfect so I think Im ready to buy, last question though, do I need a plunger button? The training bow Im using now doesnt have one, do all recurve archers use them?

Yeah you definitely would want one. The plunger is there to adjust for the spine of the arrow, the amount it bends as it is shot. Without one, you would have to buy your arrows and pray they are perfect or cut them until they come off the bow just right. Also as you increase your poundage you can adjust your button to suit. It's all about tuning. I would suggest the likes of a shibuya button, or if you have the money buy the beiter one. You'll never replace it.

Well I did a bit of research after posting that and realised I needed one and Id already placed the big order with Merlin this morning and placing another order for the plunger would have cost £12 extra P&P (Everything on that big list only cost £25) so I rang them up in the UK and they were really sound and added the red one of these to my order with free P&P, what do you think?:

http://www.merlinarcherycentre.co.uk/acatalog/Decut_ZX229_Button.html

I asked him about the beginners sights and he said I should definitely try this sight instead so I said Id chance it and got him to switch it:

http://www.merlinarcherycentre.co.uk/acatalog/Joomong_Scoprion_Sight.html

So very good service from them, just got to sit and wait for my package now I dont think theres anything else I can do, thanks a million for the help, the days are going to crawl now until I have it all.

Never seen that button but it looks like a decent bit of kit. Micro adjust will make your life easier anyway. Just make sure not to tinker with it to much, there is such a thing as having it as close as is possible.

Again haven't seen that sight in person but it looks to be decent and they recommend it over the cartel k and sf sights, and it's the same price range so there must be a reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 stephenbaxter

Description (updated on 20/05/2011 at 02:57pm):

Black Carbon Steel Bow Arrow used jus for targets has 4 - 6 arrow with it hand held not crossbow will sell 100 ono .. or would consider swap for other item

Bought for 400 about 2 yrs ago

• Registered Users Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Thargor wrote: »
    Well I did a bit of research after posting that and realised I needed one and Id already placed the big order with Merlin this morning and placing another order for the plunger would have cost £12 extra P&P (Everything on that big list only cost £25) so I rang them up in the UK and they were really sound and added the red one of these to my order with free P&P, what do you think?:

http://www.merlinarcherycentre.co.uk/acatalog/Decut_ZX229_Button.html

I asked him about the beginners sights and he said I should definitely try this sight instead so I said Id chance it and got him to switch it:

http://www.merlinarcherycentre.co.uk/acatalog/Joomong_Scoprion_Sight.html

So very good service from them, just got to sit and wait for my package now I dont think theres anything else I can do, thanks a million for the help, the days are going to crawl now until I have it all.
    I hope you got your stuff and are happy with it. I find merlinarcherycentre to be great to deal with. They've recently had some delays due to reorganisation and the customer service was good during this - a good sign of a company.

Oh yeah totally forgot about this thread, yeah it all worked out perfectly, 32lb is a bit strong but Im doing exercises every second night to get it as smooth as I was with 22lb, all the gear came together perfectly, that tab is my favorite bit of kit, it fits perfect and feel way better to release than the cheap one I was using. Very happy with it anyway just need to build some muscle and sort out some more arrows and a target for at home now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JustDavid

Is there anything you would change?

I'm doing a beginners course now, so not yet ready to buy at all, just nosing around.

Now that you have this lot for a few months, was there any parts you really loved, or really hated?

Thanks
    D

Advertisement