Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Intervarsities Advanced/Beginner

• 11-09-2003 11:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭

It was discuss near the end of the last season that the definition of Beginners and Advanced Archers be changed.
    At the moment if started archery a year ago your advanced, if you started less than a year your a beginner.

The obvious problem with this is after a year you have some people how practiced 2/3 times a week and are good or very good archers. And you've people that have pracitce 0/1 times a week and are well still beginners.

The suggestion is to change the definition to be based on an individuals ability, their scores. When an archery breaks 400 on the 60cm targets they become an advanced archer.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭shock

i like that idea, heard it last year and thought it was good. I've been shooting for just under a year now but I dont think I'm good enough to shoot advanced. The 400 rule at least means that everyone shooting advanced is above a certain skill level rather than just having been a member of a club for a year.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Definately gotta agree with that.

The other problem is that if you force people into advanced when they're not ready they'll just get frustrated and maybe even quit altogether.

I don't think any of us want that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Aryzel

I've put up a list of which archers would be in the Advanced Category and which in the Beginners next year if we go with the Advanced decided by getting 400 on the 60cm targets,
    you gota love php and databases.

Anyway its under RESULTS on the UCD site:
    Adv-Beg Archers

Also i rounded off the suggested rules, to take into account exceptions to the rule.
    Remember this is currently only an idea, nothing is final.

Seems good though I only glanced at it...

2 corrections on CU though: it's Adam first not Alan and i'm pretty sure it's "O' Hara" 4th not "O' Hare".

Cheers. Good job on that.

I think we should stick to the 400 rule though cause if we say "close to" 400 then we've to work out was that a once off too... It's making more work for ourselves. Just my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 DrNickRiviera

400 seems like a good cut-off point Dermot. I think it'd broaden the scope of intervarsity archery a great deal.

• Advertisement

I'll fix the spellings on of the days,
    the near 400 thing was just say if someone got 399 or something that they can shoot the 40's its completely their choice but they shouldn't feel they have to shoot the 60's if they prefer 40cm targets.
    Also i didn't count the Dublin Derby, only the full intervarsities

Oh right... I get you now. Well near to 399 or not I'd say if someone wants to shoot 40s then that's their choice. Not the other way round though! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Turin

well being that I got the 399 I still dont think that I'm good enough to shoot 40's, I'd probably end up making a show of my self. I think that if hoever someone that did shoot close to 400 then they be given the choice of shooting 40 or 60 but once they make the choice they shoot at that level for the season and can not drop to a 60 if they have a bad day.

People who score 400+ on the 60's, when they change over to the 40's they will end up scoring 300+ (very rough guess there)
    and they might be somewhat dissapointed with that.
    But they will be much better off.

Getting from 400 to 500 on the 60's is hard, getting from
    300 to 400 on the 40's is significantly easier.

Also the people getting 200-350 on the 60's targets might feel somewhat dissapointed if they see other beginners breaking 400, with the new system, 400 becomes a goal that everyone can reach with effort.

And for the people who get into advanced, they will have a new goal of getting 400 on the 40's, with is far more achievable than 500 on the 60's.

Also 300's are a perfectly decent score, it took me two and a half years to break 400 on any target.

After the Maynooth Intervarsity; 29th November 2003

The following beginners have score 400+ and are now advanced archers, well done.

DCU Niall Brennan
    DCU Sean Walsh
    DIT John Donlon
    GMIT Kenneth Molloy
    NUIG Brenard McGlinchey
    UCD Adrian Boland
    UCD Chris Williams
    UCD Peter Russell
    UL Fabrice Ramet
    UL Liam Leahy
    Ul Sean Leech

A full list of all advanced archers for each university is available on the ucd website under results

• Advertisement

Yes! I get to shoot on smaller targets!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭af666x

HEH! Welcome to my world :p

Your World! *runs away*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Renegade_Archer

OK, so if someone shoots 400 on a 60cm does that mean at the next IV they shoot 40cm or next year?

From what i've heard its at the next intervarsity that we move to 40's.

Yup it's next intervarsity.

That's the new policy we all agreed on over the summer. Where agreed means either agreed or didn't object! :D

Advertisement