Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Produced Clothing

Options
  • 25-06-2020 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭

Just wondering is there any producers of Irish clothing?

I was going through my wardrobe earlier just doing a spring clean and tidy up...Christ everything produced in Asia, Mexico & Spain...

Being looking around on google and could only find a few, but none were very clear exactly if they were produced in Ireland...With phrases like fully printed in Ireland...So are they buying cheap cotton garments and putting prints on them and claiming they are Irish...

Most of the clothes(some which were pricey) tend to look very worn after 12 months...But i do have a pair of boots that are 7 years old and still going strong...

I'd like to start to move towards more sustainable wardrobe, and if its locally produced all the better

PS i'm a male

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

What we produce in Ireland are the traditional, ancient fabrics - wool from sheep, and linen from flax.

Both are bio-degradable, Irish, comfortable and long-lasting.

I don't know if any company is making clothes out of them for the mass market, but you can certainly buy the fabric and have clothes made to your own measure and design, etc
    (Or make them yourself if you have the skills!)

This will cost more than chain-store clothing, but it will be ethically produced and made, and outlast those cheapies by many, many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Nope and never really has been for many years.

Most died out in the 80's and a few struggled on into the 90's

A lot of Jeans were made here for a while.

Pepe was made in Naas and Wranglers and Lee were made in Coolock.

There was a large factory on clonard Rd in Crumlin and brendella skirts were made in dun Laoghaire.

Footwear was strong - dubarry and edenderry shoes were big players along with many factories in Monaghan and louth - some still there but very small.

Most clothing is now more traditional "Irish" clothing. Arran sweaters etc

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Very little made in Ireland unfortunately, before even looking for fabrics made in Ireland on top of that. You next option is possibly to look for sustainably and responsibly made cotton and products?

Fresh Cuts are based in Dublin and do sustainably sourced pieces. They have a good bit of info here https://www.freshcutsclothing.com/pages/sustainability-1

Interesting concept here with these jeans, you can send them back when you've worn them out and they'll recycle the denim and give you a tenner off your next pair! https://www.freshcutsclothing.com/collections/mens-bottoms/products/regular-dunn-dip-dry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Theres a few shops in Dublin, one in particular, if I remember right (im open to correction), is or was besides stephens green just off Grafton street. They sold Irish made wool jumpers/coats/traditional material type clothing. Theres a few similar in Galway and Sligo. Theyre the only Irish made clothes ive come across and they tend to be very expensive and aimed at tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

O'Neills sportswear is made in Ireland. So mainly Gaa gear. They have a pair of white shirts that are very popular at the moment.

The price been paid to farmers for wool at the moment is so bad that the wool from the mountain sheep is worthless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

There are these guys. Price is not bad when you consider what is involved.

https://nativedenims.com/shop/

Advertisement