Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Emergency Lighting

Options
  • 20-06-2020 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭

Do emergency lights (restaurant) stay on permanently or only in case of power outage or fire?

Electrician tells us they will be on all of the time with bright white lights. Our cafe is small / with low candle light effect.
    This will completely mess up our ‘vibe’ - is this the new norm as I haven’t seen permanent bright lights in other businesses, pubs etc ?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

It depends on how they are wired. It would not be normal to have them on all of the time in that environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

That’s what I thought too.

I’m being told it’s new regulations - where can I check this is the case or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭walshtipp

1966 wrote: »

I’m being told it’s new regulations - where can I check this is the case or not?

Emergency lighting is governed by standard IS 3217:2013

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Do emergency lights (restaurant) stay on permanently or only in case of power outage or fire?

Electrician tells us they will be on all of the time with bright white lights. Our cafe is small / with low candle light effect.
    This will completely mess up our ‘vibe’ - is this the new norm as I haven’t seen permanent bright lights in other businesses, pubs etc ?

Exit lighting/Running man signs which are used to draw attention to the points of the exit must be “maintained” which means Allways illuminated.

Lighting used to show a change in direction, change in the level of flooring, fire equipment, path to exit etc does not need to be maintained but MUST be tested 4 times a year. 3 times for 30 mins and 1 time for 3 hours and the customer (you) must be issued a cert from a electrician with the qualification in testing emergency lighting. Also worth noting that ALL emergency lighting will have a green LED light visible to indicate the unit is charging correctly.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I am not up to speed with emergency lighting anymore to be honest. However I do not believe that your emergency luminaires (technical term for lights) need to be illuminated under normal conditions in the way you have described. I think you are being taken for a ride. I have never seen this in establishments such as yours. Occasionally I have seen this with exit signs but the lighting from these can be quite discreet.

You could:
    1) Get a second opinion.
    2) Buy the standard from the NSAI (online shop) and check yourself - A bit of a pain, but it will close this out for you!
    3) Inform the electrical contractor that you do not believe him / her and will take the matter up with RECI / Safe Electric. The threat of this may reap results or you may have to carry this out.
    4) Challenge the electrical contractor to show you where this regulation change is written. They are obliged to have an up to date copy of the regulations so this should not be a problem for them if they are telling the truth.

Below is an extract from a guide to the applicable standard which seems to support my view. I have highlighted the important part in bold:
    Maintained emergency luminaire: a luminaire in which the emergency lighting lamps are on at all times.

Maintained mode is generally used in places of assembly such as theatres, cinemas, clubs and halls; the full list is contained in IS 3217 2013. The lights are typically dimmed when these premises are occupied and the emergency escape lighting prevents total darkness.

Non-maintained emergency luminaire: a luminaire whose emergency lamps only come on when the power supply to the normal lighting fails. Non-maintained is the typical mode in a workplace or similar environment in which artificial lighting is normally deployed while the premises are occupied.

The above came from this link:

http://independentfireservices.ie/emergency-lighting/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭tweek84

Do you have an image or similar image of the lights that are maintained/illuminated all the time?

From what you have described it seems the electrician is having a laugh.

Advertisement