Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

JD - 35 yoyos

• 08-02-2014 8:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭

Not sure if its a major deal but JCs in Swords selling litre if Jack Daniels for 35 yoyos.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Redpunto wrote: »
    Not sure if its a major deal but JCs in Swords selling litre if Jack Daniels for 35 yoyos.

I don't like the stuff but for a main stream whiskey, and considering what it usually goes for that is a decent price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Buy a bottle of Irish for half the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,538 ✭✭✭✭L1011

kneemos wrote: »
    Buy a bottle of Irish for half the price.

Not anymore, last few budgets and particularly the last one have put the price up hideously.

But you'll still get a far superior bottle for 28 or so somewhere. JD is all about image.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

thats still dear imo
    700ml jim bean 20 euro in tesco

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I doubt few if any JD drinkers could tell the difference between a cheap whiskey and an overpriced bottle of JD.

• Advertisement

GY A1 wrote: »
    thats still dear imo
    700ml jim bean 20 euro in tesco

Thats still ridiculously dear, but this is Ireland. As another poster said, the last couple of budgets have taken their toll.20 euro for Jim Beam is excellent(for here) but that will be a short term special.

God do I miss Czech prices for Whiskey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Litre of Teachers was €32 in tesco, that was the best value I could see in that store.

kneemos wrote: »
    I doubt few if any JD drinkers could tell the difference between a cheap whiskey and an overpriced bottle of JD.

They'd notice the difference to Irish/Scotch but they wouldn't to a far cheaper bourbon, I'd guess.

Tesco's pricing for whiskey is off the scale since after Christmas. Currently looking for more for 70cl Bushmills than 70cl Black Bush which is an inherently dearer product.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Litre of Teachers was €32 in tesco, that was the best value I could see in that store.

When?
    Tesco's pricing for whiskey is off the scale since after Christmas. Currently looking for more for 70cl Bushmills than 70cl Black Bush which is an inherently dearer product.

Agreed. Not just Tesco, almost everywhere. Low prices before Christmas, very expensive after, and in February, its all over the place.

syklops wrote: »
    When.

About 8 hours ago.

Checked receipt and it was €32.50

Think I got it before xmas for €22.99

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

For an extra €3.99 you can get a litre of Jameson in Tesco's.

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/browse/default.aspx?N=4294952984&Ne=4294954028

And with Jameson, you needn't mix it with Cola, so saving money on that.. ;)

Wild Turkey is around €33 a Litre, - For any JD drinkers, definitely try it. :)

About 8 hours ago.

Checked receipt and it was €32.50

Think I got it before xmas for €22.99

You got a litre of Teachers before xmas for 22.99?

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=250835977

Think the Teachers is by far better value than the Jameson.

Not a fan of the bourbons at all.

Yeah tesco had great deals on Teachers and Hennessey but the brandy was only a 70cl

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=250835977

Think the Teachers is by far better value than the Jameson.

Not a fan of the bourbons at all.

Yeah tesco had great deals on Teachers and Hennessey but the brandy was only a 70cl

Teachers 700ml is usually around the 22 mark. Thats why I was surprised when you said you got a litre for 22 before Christmas.

Not saying it didn't happen, just surprised.

Teachers 700ml is usually around the 22 mark. Thats why I was surprised when you said you got a litre for 22 before Christmas.

Not saying it didn't happen, just surprised.

O'briens were doing 1litre for the price of 70cl (700ml) for the *1st week in December for some of the brands.
    I was raging i missed it.

Teachers may have been in that.

*Reminder for this year. Drink is cheapest at end of November/Start of December, and goes up all the way to Christmas, as people panic more.
    (Apparently it pays to be organised :) )

Allyall wrote: »
    O'briens were doing 1litre for the price of 70cl (700ml) for the *1st week in December for some of the brands.
    I was raging i missed it.

Teachers may have been in that.

*Reminder for this year. Drink is cheapest at end of November/Start of December, and goes up all the way to Christmas, as people panic more.
    (Apparently it pays to be organised :) )

Thanks for the tip. I had noticed something similar myself. Bulk buy Jameson in early December, give each bottle to a friend you trust and tell them you will come knocking in the new year.

Thanks for the tip. I had noticed something similar myself. Bulk buy Jameson in early December, give each bottle to a friend you trust and tell them you will come knocking in the new year.

Yeah, or give it to them to 'mind' :rolleyes:.
    I guess they know some people can't purchase drink fo Christmas that early, and hold on to it.
    I could buy my Christmas stock 6 times before the 24th :o.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Total rip off for something that imho is not anything to write home about, used to get a litre bottle over in London for about 15 sterling.

Xenji wrote: »
    Total rip off for something that imho is not anything to write home about, used to get a litre bottle over in London for about 15 sterling.

Its not bad considering Irish prices at the moment.

When i lived in the Czech Republic, around the corner from me was a shop called Kvalitni Pivni, which means "Quality Drinks". It was a drinks boutique with expensive alcohol, and yet a 700ml bottle of Jameson was 309 czk which is 11.25 in euro.

Its a little unfair to the retailer to call it a rip off, its the tax that makes it prohibitive in this country.

Its also extremely annoying when I hear about "the selling of below cost alcohol by major retailers", when they are selling jameson for ~20 euro, when it can be bought abroad for near half that. Jameson which left Ireland in a truck, driven a thousand miles and sold for a profit at twelve euro and yet 20 euro in Ireland is below cost.

• Advertisement

Allyall wrote: »
    Yeah, or give it to them to 'mind' :rolleyes:.
    I guess they know some people can't purchase drink fo Christmas that early, and hold on to it.
    I could buy my Christmas stock 6 times before the 24th :o.

Whats that supposed to mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

When i lived in the Czech Republic, around the corner from me was a shop called Kvalitni Pivni, which means "Quality Drinks". It was a drinks boutique with expensive alcohol, and yet a 700ml bottle of Jameson was 309 czk which is 11.25 in euro.

Its a little unfair to the retailer to call it a rip off, its the tax that makes it prohibitive in this country.

Its also extremely annoying when I hear about "the selling of below cost alcohol by major retailers", when they are selling jameson for ~20 euro, when it can be bought abroad for near half that. Jameson which left Ireland in a truck, driven a thousand miles and sold for a profit at twelve euro and yet 20 euro in Ireland is below cost.

I totally agree with you, I know it is not the retailers fault, but you have to really like the brand or not know much about whiskey to pay €35 for a bottle of Teachers. I could get a bottle of Nikka from the Barrel online for about €10 more and that is an award winning, top of the line whiskey from Japan, although it only comes in a 50cl bottle admittedly.

I totally agree with you, I know it is not the retailers fault, but you have to really like the brand or not know much about whiskey to pay €35 for a bottle of Teachers. I could get a bottle of Nikka from the Barrel online for about €10 more and that is an award winning, top of the line whiskey from Japan, although it only comes in a 50cl bottle admittedly.

Well I can't see myself ever paying 35 euros for Teachers. Litre or not.

Award winning, top of the line, rarely equals good whiskey in my experience, not to disrespect Nikka of course.

Id be interested to hear about your online retailers though. Feel free to pm me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

At the €35 price point you should really be looking to buy your whiskey from the uk and have it delivered via Parcel Motel. You can repatriate irish bottles for less than most sales in-country or explore other offerings for a reasonable cost.

newkie wrote: »
    At the €35 price point you should really be looking to buy your whiskey from the uk and have it delivered via Parcel Motel. You can repatriate irish bottles for less than most sales in-country or explore other offerings for a reasonable cost.

Have you a link for where you buy yours?

newkie wrote: »

There is the slight issue of illegality there, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Picked up one of these in Centra for €22 on Friday. Might be of some use to someone?

http://centra.ie/offers/bushmills-whiskey-70cl

Can currently get Woodford Reserve (a premium Bourbon) for 32.21 in Tesco - makes JD look like pricey dishwater.

Also apparently have Jim Beam Devil's Cut for 21.99 but it was fully sold out; ditto the flavoured Jim Beams (Honey/Cherry) which I don't think are up to much.

On this side of the Atlantic, Famous Grouse and Tullamore Dew were both around 23.99 or so; everything else was at its recent insane pricing.

Whats that supposed to mean?

If i buy my drink for Christmas too early, it is well and truly drunk before Christmas :).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

MYOB wrote: »
    Can currently get Woodford Reserve (a premium Bourbon) for 32.21 in Tesco - makes JD look like pricey dishwater.

Also apparently have Jim Beam Devil's Cut for 21.99 but it was fully sold out; ditto the flavoured Jim Beams (Honey/Cherry) which I don't think are up to much.

On this side of the Atlantic, Famous Grouse and Tullamore Dew were both around 23.99 or so; everything else was at its recent insane pricing.

I got a couple of the Jim Beam's €20.99 and 1 of the woodford's in clearwater last week, didn't mention the WR as not many would know it, reduced from €44 I think, good man like your style.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,648 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Dundalgan Irish whiskey in lidl is only €18.... It's not unlike Jameson!

Dundalgan Irish whiskey in lidl is only €18.... It's not unlike Jameson!

Its as near as identical to Tyrconnell as anything else, considering its made on the same kit to a generic Cooley/Beam contrac recipe.

Advertisement