Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland currency

Options
  • 13-11-2018 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi there,
    I'll be visiting Belfast for a day trip on Saturday. I got my Sterling last weekend but I've heard that Northern Ireland doesn't accept English Sterling (I had thought all Sterling was the same so didn't specify which type of Sterling I wanted). I have notes and they say "Bank of England" on the top. Will they be accepted in Belfast or should I try and source Northern Ireland Pounds?
    Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

It'll be accepted, was there 2 weeks ago for U2. Spent money I had left over from a trip to London and Cardiff earlier in the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

English bank notes are accepted across the board. They are the least problematic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

English pounds are fine. Try not to be stuck with NI pounds when you're done, though - nobody likes those!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Ferm001

You'll have no problems with bank of england notes. Enjoy your visit, great city, and the Christmas market at the city hall opens this Saturday, you should visit.

• Site Banned Posts: 5 CinniO

Bank of England pounds are legal tender throughout all of the UK.

Local notes, Scotland, Channel Islands, IOM and NI notes are usually only accepted in their respective jurisdictions, however, in all of the UK you can bring banknotes from other parts for a 1:1 conversion in the bank free of charge.

For example, if you are in London you can bring NI pounds to a bank and they'll swap it for notes with Betty's mug on it.

Euros are widely accepted up north though (although don't rely on this alone).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,907 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

You are getting mixed up. English sterling is definitely excepted in all of the UK. Northern Ireland sterling used to be impossible to spend in England due to the provos counterfeiting so much of it. I'm not sure about now but 25 years ago banks in England didn't want Northern Ireland sterling

• Registered Users Posts: 25,346 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Northern Ireland sterling used to be impossible to spend in England due to the provos counterfeiting so much of it. I'm not sure about now but 25 years ago banks in England didn't want Northern Ireland sterling

The problem in shops in GB wasn't anything to do with counterfeiting, the English just saw 'Ireland', 'Belfast' or 'Ulster' on the NI note and reckoned it was money from Eire so they stuck up their noses and told you what you could do with your 'Irish' money.

If you visit NI and come back to the south with NI notes, the only issue you will have is getting rid of Northern Bank notes because nobody in the south is obliged to exchange them. With the other NI notes (First Trust, Ulster Bank and Bank of Ireland) you can just walk into one of their branches down here (respectively, AIB, Ulster Bank and BoI) and they are legally obliged (under the licence they have to print sterling notes) to exchange them for BoE notes.

I did this once in Blackrock, Dublin with First Trust and Ulster Bank NI notes. Walked in to AIB and Ulster Bank, handed over their NI sterling notes and said 'Hi, these are your notes, I'd like to exchange them for Bank of England notes please' and the FX teller obliged without question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    You are getting mixed up. English sterling is definitely excepted in all of the UK. Northern Ireland sterling used to be impossible to spend in England due to the provos counterfeiting so much of it. I'm not sure about now but 25 years ago banks in England didn't want Northern Ireland sterling

excepted or accepted ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,907 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

excepted or accepted ?

I'm dyslexic. I'll let you decide

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thread moved to where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Sky Blue 20

Bank of England notes do not have Sterling on them . Northern Ireland notes do.
    There is a reason for this.....
    Is odd when you go into a shop etc in England and have a Northern Ireland note refused and you point this out.

Advertisement