Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Led Zeppelin split up today 40 years ago

• 04-12-2020 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭

Way before my time, but I wanted to get the opinions of AHers.

What's your favourite album/song? Anyone saw them live? What's their musical legacy? Were they a bit over rated?

Personally I listened to them a lot when I was a teenager, had Led Zeppelin 4 and the Greatest Hits, however I've gone off them a lot in the last few years, maybe it was their seedy going ons off the stage that put me off but then again Bowie was at the same stuff apparently and I still listen to his music,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,700 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Apparently they were only in it for the money, sex and drugs, lol.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭teroknor83

Live versions of No Quarter, Since I've been Loving you and Dazed and Confused are amazing. Great band. 40 years, that's crazy

Some preposterous self indulgent sh1te.
    But some of the best rock songs ever.

Album: IV
    Song: whole lotta love or Kashmir

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭OldRio

Quite simply the best Rock band ever. IMHO of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Awful self-indulgent muck. I always associate Led Zeppelin with balding men in their 40’s wearing a denim jacket with band patches on the back. A lot of that Dad Rock from the 70’s is vastly overrated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Wizard!

The real bond of the group was Bonzi (John Bohnam), the drummer. He made their sound unique. Once Bonzi died, the group collapsed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvOm2oZRQIk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

Jimmy Page was the reason I picked up a guitar, great band, so many good tracks but I think when the levee breaks is my favourite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,453 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

bron yr aur

and yes the reason i have a les paul

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

conan_XR wrote: »
    Read up a while back but some of the stuff they were up to, they would be rightly cancelled and probably jailed now. Scumbags
    Jimmy page being the main culprit there. These days he'd have his very own #metoo movement. Or maybe not. Rock and roll types usually get a pass. Dave Bowie another one.

When the levee breaks is good. Though I find too much of the 70's rock stuff longwinded and not a little pretentious at times. For me punk kicked it in the nads and brought back the 2-3 minute get in get out song. Hell ABBA destroyed most of it musically and again was usually the 3 minute pop song. Of the 70's(that kicked off in the late 60's) stuff I'd personally prefer the Who's output.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,453 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Wibbs wrote: »
    Though I find too much of the 70's rock stuff longwinded and not a little pretentious at times.

digs out relayer and tales of topgraphic oceans by yes :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭Allinall

TOTP will be eternally grateful to LZ.

Best intro music. Ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Achilles Last Stand.

Haha..... I've got them all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

I like them, I'll stick on their albums every now and again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I went through a massive phase in my teens and still dig them out occasionally. LZ II was my favourite, closely followed by LZ I. III was a pretentious folky thing and IV had good numbers but no album coherence. Later albums left me cold and Kashmir is the only track I bother with there.

Great band and all but they did some shocking robbin'. Original lads had incorrect skin colour or something. Didn't get paid what they were owed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Absolute crap, I prefer Milli Vanilli.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Black dog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

I think Houses of the Holy is my favourite album by them.

In My Time of Dying is another belter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,259 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Achilles Last Stand.

One of the finest pieces of music ever written, that. Love the guitar strumming that almost sounds like a machine gun around when Plant starts doing his 'ooh ohhhh oh oh oh ohhhhhhhhhhh'

I grew up as a kid listening to Led Zeppelin via my parents, they brought me to see Page and Plant on the No Quarter tour in 1995 in The Point when I was 11. Blew my mind :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Allinall wrote: »
    Best intro music. Ever.
    C.C.S. are best known for their instrumental version of Led Zeppelin's 1969 track "Whole Lotta Love", which entered the UK Singles Chart in 1970, and was used as the theme music for the BBC pop programme Top of the Pops ("TOTP") for most of the 1970s, and, in a remixed version, between 1998 and 2003.

Collective Consciousness Society, more commonly known as C.C.S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Lockheed

Ten Years Gone is my favourite

o1s1n wrote: »
    One of the finest pieces of music ever written, that. Love the guitar strumming that almost sounds like a machine gun around when Plant starts doing his 'ooh ohhhh oh oh oh ohhhhhhhhhhh'

I grew up as a kid listening to Led Zeppelin via my parents, they brought me to see Page and Plant on the No Quarter tour in 1995 in The Point when I was 11. Blew my mind :eek:

Fantastic parenting. Version from Knebworth where Page is drenched in sweat wearing khakis, still manages to look cool. Michael Lee on drums was a colossus with Page & Plant .

My girlfriend at the time booked a two week break in Turkey that coincided with that date. I hated everyday of it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Best intro music. Ever.
    They gave very good intro to be fair. Then you're hanging around for hours for the song to end.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Master of the Universe

Fantastic parenting. Version from Knebworth where Page is drenched in sweat wearing khakis, still manages to look cool. Michael Lee on drums was a colossus with Page & Plant .

My girlfriend at the time booked a two week break in Turkey that coincided with that date. I hated everyday of it.

Ah yes, that's the one where you can clearly see Page is in the throws of heroin addiction, not a pick on him! Amazing performance though.

One of my dad's mates went to that gig, never stopped going on about it. I didn't get to watch it properly through until that Led Zeppelin concert DVD came out around 2003.

Jaysus I'd say you were absolutely raging you missed that gig! It was wall to wall Zeppelin tracks, the Egyptian band they had with them really added a cool extra layer.

Saying all of this via my 11 year old brain mind you, sure who knows how much of those memories are even real or not :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

A decent band but no Wings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Way before my time, but I wanted to get the opinions of AHers.

What's your favourite album/song? Anyone saw them live? What's their musical legacy? Were they a bit over rated?

Personally I listened to them a lot when I was a teenager, had Led Zeppelin 4 and the Greatest Hits, however I've gone off them a lot in the last few years, maybe it was their seedy going ons off the stage that put me off but then again Bowie was at the same stuff apparently and I still listen to his music,

adored the Zeppelin in my twenties , favourite song probably dazed and confused

top five in no particular order

black dog
    misty mountain hop
    heartbreaker
    whole lotta love
    babe im gona leave you

Awful self-indulgent muck. I always associate Led Zeppelin with balding men in their 40’s wearing a denim jacket with band patches on the back. A lot of that Dad Rock from the 70’s is vastly overrated.

" dad rock "

your thinking of status quo

Best intro music. Ever.

as much as i love zeppelin

prefer this slice of cheese

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_I7mDjkzjg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Relikk

I love Yes and prog in general (Van Der Graaf Generator being the top of the pile), but I cannot listen to Tales From Topographic Oceans. It's noodling of the worst kind. Thank fuck for the return to form with Relayer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Can't say I've ever seen such a specimen but there you go, the things people will come up with in the narrow corridors of their mind. Life really is far too short to be looking for things to be offended by! That said some elements of rock music did lose its way completely but without it we would never have had the anarchic broom of punk and all that evolved from that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Relikk wrote: »
    I love Yes and prog in general (Van Der Graaf Generator being the top of the pile), but I cannot listen to Tales From Topographic Oceans. It's noodling of the worst kind. Thank fuck for the return to form with Relayer.
    I had Tarkus on a playlist for quite a bit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Relikk

is_that_so wrote: »
    I had Tarkus on a playlist for quite a bit!

And now I have to listen to Tarkus. Am I complaining? Certainly not. It's a masterpiece. :D

I was at Knebworth. By the time we arrived the band were so far away they were the size of small ants. Unfortunately the memories of the day are rather 'hazy'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Just heard!! I can't stop crying!

:)

• Advertisement

OldRio wrote: »
    I was at Knebworth. By the time we arrived the band were so far away they were the size of small ants. Unfortunately the memories of the day are rather 'hazy'

Wow, I'm sure you weren't the only one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Their debut is possibly the best "hello world" hard rock album, two days of recording with a pin sharp sound and very tight playing. Not a second of it is out of focus or flabby even the longer tracks keep offering up interesting and exciting dynamics.

Just avoid Stairway to Heaven on "IV/soso/untitled", it would be grand if it wasn't so bloody familiar - but it is. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Jimmy page being the main culprit there. These days he'd have his very own #metoo movement. Or maybe not. Rock and roll types usually get a pass. Dave Bowie another one.

When the levee breaks is good. Though I find too much of the 70's rock stuff longwinded and not a little pretentious at times. For me punk kicked it in the nads and brought back the 2-3 minute get in get out song. Hell ABBA destroyed most of it musically and again was usually the 3 minute pop song. Of the 70's(that kicked off in the late 60's) stuff I'd personally prefer the Who's output.

I agree with you, although early seventies glam like t rex, bowie, roxy music and mott the hooplle was also good and many of the punk guys were fans of it, proably because of its simplicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

bron yr aur

and yes the reason i have a les paul

More of a mustang/jaguar man myself, the 24" neck is extremely comfortable to play. I'd say gibson were/are delighted that Page mostly played the les Paul although I think he played a tele as well.

Master of the Universe

I agree with you, although early seventies glam like t rex, bowie, roxy music and mott the hooplle was also good and many of the punk guys were fans of it, proably because of its simplicity.

Funny how tastes differ, I was never into punk myself and one of the main reasons is the shortness of tracks and simplicity. Seemed almost neanderthal-ish when compared to the prog rock bands I was listening to.

Give me 20 minute songs with 50 different layers and tangents please :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Could never get into Led Zeppelin, a lot of their songs just drag out. Of that era I much prefer The Who, Sabbath, T. Rex. To be fair ABBA are one of the best bands, such a good back catalogue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I loved them. Page and Plant unplugged doing Gallow's Pole unplugged on MTV is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Wizard! wrote: »
    The real bond of the group was Bonzi (John Bohnam), the drummer. He made their sound unique. Once Bonzi died, the group collapsed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvOm2oZRQIk

I think you may mean Bonzo... EDIT maybe a case of auto correct strikes again?

This and the song choices here, not really very knowledgeable posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

See your Yes and raise you Emerson Lake and Palmer :)

See your Yes and raise you Emerson Lake and Palmer :)

Counters with Gentle Giant (One Concept album had the band playing medieval instruments.)

Man.(20 minute meandering guitar sound with a Male Welsh choir humming in the background)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Great band but Stairway To Heaven is the most overrated song ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,642 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Yeah love a bit of Zep, caught Robert Plant live twice in 1984 and at Electric Picnic in 2013, Mr Plant still has a fine head of hair (Mr Bismark) and can still sing a decent tune. But I also give you Deep Purple Mk2, Richie Blackmore was another fine riff-smith who could give Page a run for his money and as others have listed The Who for that matter.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭LineConsole

Not really my thing, and I’m a guitarist who’s into rock and metal. They have some fantastic guitar riffs and solos, innovative drumming, and that’s about it for me. Everything else about their songs bugs me. Pretentious airy fairy drivel. I especially dislike when Plant goes off on some ‘orgasmic’ like wailing. Not a fan of listening to a grown man make ‘oh’ noises over some trippy prog interlude. Pages occult nonsense is also a big no from me. Stairway is about all I can stomach simply because it’s chock full of catchy riffs, if I Just ignore the lyrical waffle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

ShyMets wrote: »
    A decent band but no Wings

Wings...the band The Beatles could’ve been.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Placebo Effect

Fool in the Rain...

Oh, baby
    Well there's a light in your eye that keeps shining
    Like a star that can't wait for night
    I hate to think I been blinded baby
    Why can't I see you tonight?

• Advertisement
Advertisement