Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Potato not good enough for chips ?

• 02-12-2020 1:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2020/1130/1181294-potatoes-brexit/

This is an outrage, If the Irish potato failure in the 1840's was good enough to kill millions of Irish people when it failed in the famine, Well then its good enough for their bloody chips ! I shall be bringing this further.
    Where were the Forte family in 1845 ? Eating their Pasta and supping fine wines, That's where they were, and now our spuds are not good enough for their poxy chips ? How dare they ?

Comments

There's about four people alive that could tell the difference between an Irish potato and a British potato.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,435 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

There's about four people alive that could tell the difference between an Irish potato and a British potato.

Mr Potato Head, Mrs Potato Head, and their two kids .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

Mr Potato Head, Mrs Potato Head, and their two kids .
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,003 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Feck UK spuds, we do lovely spuds in North Co. Dublin, the hidden gem of provision of lots of stuff like that. Hidden gem of the source of so much really.

I know many non Dubs cannot do it, but honestly the amount of greenhouses and so on up in that area is unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Sounds like the OP has a 'chip' on his shoulder, he's getting all mashed up and before you know it his brain will be 'fries'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,597 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Maris piper is the type of spud you need for chips. Not grown that much here. We have roosters and queens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

Maybe harder deep fried, but I reckon easy.

Most Irish potatoes are like the beloved Rooster.

Lot if ****e. Take your eye off them for a second and they go from solid to mush in the pan.

Give me a Maris any day.

Sounds like the OP has a 'chip' on his shoulder, he's getting all mashed up and before you know it his brain will be 'fries'.
    :D
    I am waiting for the 9.05 ''Office Barristers'' to log into boards in the morning (To Start Work) and slate me for ''Mocking'' the famine victims, It will happen...Watch !:D

The real outrage here is that they are probably using UK potatoes because they are readily available frozen and are cheaper due to economies of scale.

Chippers should cut chips on demand.

But considering most don't even batter fish fresh anymore then no chance at all...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The type the chippers use cook and brown quicker when fried. Ive done this experiment with kerrs pinks and maris piper mixed. Much shorter cook time for the maris piper so id say that is the driving force behind the choice and not anything to do with taste etc.

• Advertisement

That's easy, The British Potato has a red passport, Ours are green.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Aceandstuff

Maris piper is the type of spud you need for chips. Not grown that much here. We have roosters and queens.

My brother and I grew a load of Roosters in a scuttery little dead flowerbed in Dublin city center this summer. If we could grow them in those conditions, then anyone can. If I had had the space, I'd have planted a lot more. Is there anything stopping Maris Piper potatoes and the like from being grown in this country, or is it just an issue to do with the farming industry?

Nothing wrong with Roosters for chips, but the best homemade chips I've ever had were made from Queens. (That's a personal opinion though.) I don't like chipper chips anymore, they've become better looking but more dry and flavourless IMO.

Wonder if it's just chippers in Dublin, the ones in my town mostly buy from a place around the corner from my childhood home and the spuds they get are in the same sacks as the local vegetable shops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭bilbot79

British land has gone to s*** from overfarming. Soil has no nutrients left. Our spuds will be better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

You've just shown yourself to be a fu¢king idiot. Where do you go from here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭bassy

salt and vinegar is a must on chips,vinegar first then salt :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Feck UK spuds, we do lovely spuds in North Co. Dublin, the hidden gem of provision of lots of stuff like that. Hidden gem of the source of so much really.

I know many non Dubs cannot do it, but honestly the amount of greenhouses and so on up in that area is unreal.
    Unreal? You don't get out much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

bassy wrote: »
    salt and vinegar is a must on chips,vinegar first then salt :)
    Wrong (about the order). If you put the vinegar in first, the salt stops at the first bit of vinegar it meets. Salt in first allows it to move down the bag more evenly...and then the vinegar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

(I think I might drop in to my local chipper on the way home from work. I've only been there once in the part 9 months.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I'll chip in and say that Tayto buy over 20% of the Irish potato crop to make their various brands of crisps

• Advertisement

Darc19 wrote: »
    I'll chip in and say that Tayto buy over 20% of the Irish potato crop to make their various brands of crisps

That's why they are shyte as well then :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,519 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Darc19 wrote: »

So they buy something approaching 80% from elsewhere?
    Impressive stat.

Impressive stat.

No, I think they meant 20% of the total Irish crop goes to tayto. 80% of the Irish crop is used elsewhere (chips, retail, whatever).

We don't know if that means 100% of tayto is covered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,624 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

km991148 wrote: »
    The real outrage here is that they are probably using UK potatoes because they are readily available frozen and are cheaper due to economies of scale.

But considering most don't even batter fish fresh anymore then no chance at all...

It’s actually growing conditions. They blacken with the frosts we get here so warmer areas in U.K. are more suited.

There’s plenty other spuds that can be chipped.

Pretty embarrassing that worrying about chippie spuds is what’s making the headlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Best chips.

Potatoes grown from the Scottish seed variety of potato.

Scottish seed potatoes are considered a global gold standard because they are less prone to diseases .....

Best chips.

Scottish seed potatoes are considered a global gold standard because they are less prone to diseases .....

I think a good Ayrshire tattie as well, but they are more early season boilers, not sure you would chip them?

_Brian wrote: »
    It’s actually growing conditions. They blacken with the frosts we get here so warmer areas in U.K. are more suited.

There’s plenty other spuds that can be chipped.

Pretty embarrassing that worrying about chippie spuds is what’s making the headlines.

Ah feck it. There is enough misery, what wrong with a light hearted look at the state of our chips?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Ish66 wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2020/1130/1181294-potatoes-brexit/

This is an outrage, If the Irish potato failure in the 1840's was good enough to kill millions of Irish people when it failed in the famine, Well then its good enough for their bloody chips ! I shall be bringing this further.
    Where were the Forte family in 1845 ? Eating their Pasta and supping fine wines, That's where they were, and now our spuds are not good enough for their poxy chips ? How dare they ?

Leo Burdock's is shit anyway. They had something going 30 years ago. Now it's slop. hey can stuff their frozen cod up their arses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

55% of all fruit and veg grown in Ireland come from North Co Dublin, amazing for such a small part of the island.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

They should start importing the Bintje potato from Belgium and The Netherlands instead as that is the best chip potato. I believe Supermac's already does.

I understand this variety does not fair well in Irish soil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Best chips.

and we are now unable to import them which is going to be a problem for most small scale growers. On the other hand it does mean Ireland could rediscover the art of seed saving for spuds.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

bigar wrote: »
    They should start importing the Bintje potato from Belgium and The Netherlands instead as that is the best chip potato. I believe Supermac's already does.
    Never realised chips were so complicated, and had such a backstory! It looks like the issue isn't just the raw potato, but where it can be processed.
    https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/irish-potato-farmers-pressure-fast-food-outlets-use-100-imported-chips/

Supermac’s Procurement Manager Pat Lynch confirmed that the company sourced all its frozen chips from Belgium and the Netherlands.

“There is no chipping plant in Ireland,” he said.

“Up to 10 years ago, Ballymoney Foods in North Antrim was supplying the Irish market with frozen chips. And we did business with that farmer-owned comany prior to its closure. Today, we have no option but to source the chips that we need from Europe.

“Our specification cites the growing of a Bintje potato that is harvested, washed, chipped and frozen during the months of September and October. We have a requirement for 4,000t of chips annually.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,680 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Irish mutiples wont pay enough to growers/suppliers for them to grow more potatoes - its cheaper to import them, and then sell them on.

The majority of the Irish population has a gra for Roosters, as they are a 'jack of all trades' spud for the consumer (chip/boil/mash) whereas years ago you would have had more Golden Wonders , Home Guard , Cara , Records were available but consumers have swung towards a "One spud" fits all use nowadays.

So the problem is with Brexit, prices will become inflated, and potatoes will be a bit harder to get so thats why there is a worry over supply of spuds.

So be prepared for a rise in price in the multiple stores, if they decide to pay growers/suppliers a more correct price for the produce.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

four thousand tonnes of chips!!

God I’d murder a tub of Supermacs chips with coleslaw and sprinkled with salt.

Went to a SM in Wexford last summer to get some & was horrified to see they were off the menu! Chips and coleslaw - an urban staple! What is wrong with the planet!!

Eddie Rockets does great chips thou - so long as they are brown enough. Georgous. With cajun dip or garlic sauce. Mmmmm

Wonder where they get their potatoes from?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

SmartinMartin, I've just deleted a load of off topic and abusive posts that completely derailed the thread for several pages

Don't post in this thread again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Teagasc really dropped the ball here, how could we have allowed our national potoato crop to fall so far behind international developments?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,112 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Bambi wrote: »
    Teagasc really dropped the ball here, how could we have allowed our national potoato crop to fall so far behind international developments?

Teagasc invented the Rooster variety, which dominates the Irish potato market as it's a good all rounder and grows well here.

Personally I always buy Maris Pipers though as they're excellent roasted or mashed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Bambi wrote: »

Because basically all we grow in this country is fúcking grass!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMBC

We can switch to rice if we are short of potatoes except for chips lol
    Roosters are a good all round spud except in Summer time. I understand from what I read re Romayo's/Macaris that they uise Irish spuds and since our soils dont suit Maris Pipers they are obviously using something else. THe standard of chips has gone down from what it was in the 60s and 70s and I think that is down to the cooking oils/fats used. On a good day I can still smell the fresh chips from Macaris when they first opened in my home town circa 1962.
    Funny/sad story. My aunt and uncle ran a small chipper from the front room of a house in late 40s/early 50s. They cooked the chips in large saucepans on primus stoves. They also sold 'crubeens' and business boomed for a while. Unfortunately a fire put a stop to it.https://b-static.net/vbulletin/images/icons/icon8.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,680 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Because basically all we grow in this country is fúcking grass!

Due to government/european levies that have reduced crops worth.

AND (as i have mentioned ) the Supermarket chains/multiples will not pay enough for the produce for it to be a viable business for farmers/suppliers.

Also the absolutely ridiculous "Specs" that are imposed re sizing, colour etc .. the waste caused by these "account executives" sitting in their offices is unbelievable.
    Anyway , thats a different discussion ....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

English potatoes come in uncleaned and uncut. The takeaways peel and cut them.

Its a mix of markies for most of the year with a few months of Spanish and maris piper when the markies are out of season. Very few Irish suppliers used as they just don't chip well the way they are cooked in irish takeaways.

Some diners etc use irish but your average corner takeaway is using English potatoes.

Romayos source their own potatoes so can't speak there but all the Macaris we delivered to use English potatoes.

7 years in the industry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Can't beat a Bintje spud for chips

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

I was waiting for some gourmet cuisine in my local Italian chipper recently when a young fella came in an asked the guy behind the counter did he have those large foil trays to put stuff in. Yes, we use them for curry chips he told him.

Perfect says the lad, stick a pile of chips in one, smother it in cheese, then lob in some goujons on top and cover the lot in a ladle of curry sauce. The guy looked perplexed. "But Sir, I can give you the curry chips in the tray and put the other stuff separate or if you want a cheese chip, I can supply the curry as a dip"

"Oh no!", says the lad. "The whole lot in a box! Lash on the curry sauce! Back in 10 minutes!"

The guy behind the counter looked at me with resignation and disgust, and shook his head.

You may be wondering what this has to do with anything, but my point is, in such a climate of utter depraved barbarianism, does it matter what feckin breed of spuds they use to make chips.

Wrong (about the order). If you put the vinegar in first, the salt stops at the first bit of vinegar it meets. Salt in first allows it to move down the bag more evenly...and then the vinegar.

Correct.

Salt goes in first. The majority of it comes to rest on the summit of the chip pile naturally unless the chip lady shakes the bag.

The vinegar then washes it down through the bag coating lower layers of chip.

Impressive stat.

Maths is your FORTE. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Vast majority of chippers in Ireland do not cut their own chips on site. Basically brought in bags from McCain or wherever.

In England it is the opposite most chips are cut on site from the potatoes brought in whole.

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    English potatoes come in uncleaned and uncut. The takeaways peel and cut them.

Its a mix of markies for most of the year with a few months of Spanish and maris piper when the markies are out of season. Very few Irish suppliers used as they just don't chip well the way they are cooked in irish takeaways.

Some diners etc use irish but your average corner takeaway is using English potatoes.

Romayos source their own potatoes so can't speak there but all the Macaris we delivered to use English potatoes.

7 years in the industry

I know what season is what spud :pac:, (but from when I worked in the UK..).

In Ireland I see a lot of those pre cut chips.
    Can't speak for those two chains (I avoid the Irish Italian chippers like the plague) but burdocks for sure use the pre cut.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I think we're missing the ball here. It's a great opportunity for existing or even new potato farms to grab the industry by the balls and get a bump on their income here!

I know what season is what spud :pac:, (but from when I worked in the UK..).

In Ireland I see a lot of those pre cut chips.
    Can't speak for those two chains (I avoid the Irish Italian chippers like the plague) but burdocks for sure use the pre cut.

We delivered wholesale uncut potatoes to burdocks, they pre cut there own in house in cookstown but are supplied the same as every other takeaway. The only pre cut your likely to see is in Indian takeaways but most in the city tend to cut their own.

I think we're missing the ball here. It's a great opportunity for existing or even new potato farms to grab the industry by the balls and get a bump on their income here!

They are trying, a few around rush are doing it. The problem is getting customers to switch. There are certain farmers in England that always have good stock and can be relied on. The chips always taste the same or at least good. The irish stuff we sold (which was the same price as the English shipped over) could be great then terrible from one load to another. Chips are just filler but can lose customers if they are bad enough.

Another point is currently no one is doing the volume required. One of the busiest shops we delivered to in Dublin was using over 3.5 tonne of potatoes a week.

• Advertisement
Advertisement