Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Speedy discount from Weirs

• 02-12-2020 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hey all,

Was in weirs yesterday looking at a speedy pro.

On other threads I’ve heard that AD can discount but the gent wasn’t sure when asking him yesterday.

Any suggestions on what to expect and what lever to pull to get the best deal?

Looking to buy this week so just want to make sure I can get the best deal possible.

Want to buy new as it’s marking a significant occasion of becoming a dad (and will be handy to time those contractions!)
    Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,160 ✭✭✭893bet

Horoaddict wrote: »
    Hey all,

Was in weirs yesterday looking at a speedy pro.

On other threads I’ve heard that AD can discount but the gent wasn’t sure when asking him yesterday.

Any suggestions on what to expect and what lever to pull to get the best deal?

Looking to buy this week so just want to make sure I can get the best deal possible.

Want to buy new as it’s marking a significant occasion of becoming a dad (and will be handy to time those contractions!)
    Cheers!

There were lots of 20 percent off from jewellers in the UK this year for lockdowns, Black Fridays etc. I think it meant a euro price of 3800 or so.

What did Weirs quote? Need to get talking to someone with authority and experience. Salesman you were talking to might be very new. Not sure 20 percent will be achievable in Ireland, definitely more difficult anecdotally.

Worth a call to Lunns in Belfast for a price?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Horoaddict

Thanks 893

Yeah I had thought that and said it to him but he was pretty unsure and would have to go off and check.

I took a look on lunns website last night and beaver brooks etc in UK and the 20% has now gone but they’re giving a watch winder despite it being a manual wind..

Think the list was €5850 for the sapphire.

Trying to build a history with Weirs to hopefully get to a call from the waitlist for the Pepsi! So would try to get it there unless the difference was that 2k gap!

The 20 percent off was on the standard speedie pro rather than sapphire sandwich.

I think 15-20 percent is achievable either way. Let them know you will buy this week etc if you can get your price.

Sadly a speedie ain’t going to get you near a Pepsi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Thanks 893
    Think the list was €5850 for the sapphire.

Would you think of the hessalite one, its the classic and is more in demand. I know the saphire is more robust but I would have the hessalite over it any time.
    Trying to build a history with Weirs to hopefully get to a call from the waitlist for the Pepsi! So would try to get it there unless the difference was that 2k gap!

Thats simply not going to happen, the amount of money you would have to spend on depreciating jewellery and watches would have you better going to the grey market for a Pepsi, only the Daytona has a longer wait in Rolex

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,725 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Do your homework. Recent posts in UK forums seem to indicate that with a little persistence 20% is possible even on the most popular Omega. Try set up a deal with a UK AD with the 20% discount, preferably get the offer in an email. Then show that to the Irish AD of your choice and see can they match it. If they can, or are very close, do the deal with them. Plenty of margin for them in it at that level of discount. The money you save is better in your pocket than in the pocket of the AD, is the way I look at it. And getting a substantial discount is the easiest and quickest money you ever make in your life :D

• Advertisement

Thanks all, I’ll see if I can get an offer over email before heading in again.

I know it’s not going to get me close to the Pepsi but it’s a start at least, other watches I have bought have either been in the UK or on Chrono24 with a dealer in Monaco and a decent chunk off for avoiding VAT but at least it’s a start for some history with them.

Heading in tomorrow afternoon so I’ll try get in touch with some UK shops tomorrow morning.

Thanks all, I’ll see if I can get an offer over email before heading in again.

I know it’s not going to get me close to the Pepsi but it’s a start at least, other watches I have bought have either been in the UK or on Chrono24 with a dealer in Monaco and a decent chunk off for avoiding VAT but at least it’s a start for some history with them.

Heading in tomorrow afternoon so I’ll try get in touch with some UK shops tomorrow morning.

I would put it this way, a Pepsi will cost you about 5-6k over list on the Grey. The Speed master will depreciate 2k as soon as you leave the shop, so now the Pepsi is 3-4k over list now relevantly. Buy a few other easy to get watches and soon your depreciation has overtaken your potential upside on the Pepsi. Its only on the like of sports patek where the list versus grey prices are hugely divergent that you will get value doing this.

If you want the watch (Pepsi) just buy it, its cheaper to pay more than buying filler watches. If you plan on keeping everything thats fine. But a pepsi is a holy grail waiting list watch. A batgirl or a sub is more realistic.

Weirs have a no discount policy on Omega at the moment according to my contact there. And if you do cut them down they are not going to as quickly give you preferred client status (Roles waiting lists dont exist anymore). Usually an AD will have 36-40% on a watch. You try to half their profit with a 20% discount and they are not going to be that happy. A big shop like Weirs need to be making more than a grand on a watch, the staff bill alone is probably that per hour.

I suppose my point is that a speedmaster will get you so few brownie points that you are better just saving 2k and going for a new unworn one. All this chasing waiting list watches has us all chasing the perceived bargain than actually watch. And we are willing to overpay for watches to try get that dangling carrot.

Rant over, and BTW get the Hessalite thats the icon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭scwazrh

€4400 was the best price I got offered from Weirs for the hesalite version a few months ago.Tried to push for €4 even but they wouldn’t budge.
    Lunns wouldn’t even talk about a discount .I ended up buying an excellent condition 2nd hand for €3k so that gives you an idea of the depreciation.

That said I bought a Panerai from Weir’s last week ,€5400 list on panerai site , €4400 on Weir’s online and another 10% for Black Friday .delighted with the price but I have feeling the online list price was wrong as it was substantially different to the panerai site price and also is now gone from Weirs site.

https://www.adverts.ie/22349240

An option if you don’t want new ie birth year for your son.

893bet wrote: »
    https://www.adverts.ie/22349240

An option if you don’t want new ie birth year for your son.

A sensibly priced speedy that, good spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭scwazrh

If your buying a speedmaster would you not want the big box version though?€2500 for watch only I would have said is a bit steep

scwazrh wrote: »
    If your buying a speedmaster would you not want the big box version though?€2500 for watch only I would have said is a bit steep

I think 2.5 is about right but you assume there is some slack in the price. 2.2 would be a good price. It’s not watch only.

The big box only stays in the attic! Same watch on the wrist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

scwazrh wrote: »

I paid 2.7 for that exact set and would highly recommend it, hessalite all the way. What you going to do with the big box anyway?

Did think about 2nd hand but honestly, the sentiment is a watch for the birth so same year is the best.

Went into weirs and they did give a discount thankfully but the watch I tried on Tuesday was gone so there’s one on order should be here in 7-10 days.

Love the sapphire case back and the reassurance of the sapphire Crystal as I do have a tendency to pick up a few dings, not buying the watch because of the moon landing so closest to the one worn up there isn’t a massive driving factor for me

Did think about 2nd hand but honestly, the sentiment is a watch for the birth so same year is the best.

Went into weirs and they did give a discount thankfully but the watch I tried on Tuesday was gone so there’s one on order should be here in 7-10 days.

Love the sapphire case back and the reassurance of the sapphire Crystal as I do have a tendency to pick up a few dings, not buying the watch because of the moon landing so closest to the one worn up there isn’t a massive driving factor for me

QUestion is what is birth year...they year you buy the watch? THey year the watch was made? Its all a bit up in the air. I dont want to piss on anyones chips here but the moonwatch is hesalite solid back, the sandwitch is a reinterpretation, a hommage to the moonwatch.. Hesalite is great cause you can polish it back to new easy and it give a lovely distortion to the dial viewed off angle. The big box is a waste of time fully of useless filler. Second hand is the way to go on these.

Fitz II wrote: »
    QUestion is what is birth year...they year you buy the watch? THey year the watch was made? Its all a bit up in the air. I dont want to piss on anyones chips here but the moonwatch is hesalite solid back, the sandwitch is a reinterpretation, a hommage to the moonwatch.. Hesalite is great cause you can polish it back to new easy and it give a lovely distortion to the dial viewed off angle. The big box is a waste of time fully of useless filler. Second hand is the way to go on these.

For me it’s the year i bought the watch, and it coincides with the due date next week..

Completely get that and agree, but like I said, I’m not buying the watch because it’s the moon watch, buying it because I like it and I love the caseback and being able to see that 1863 movement.

Box is cool but again it’s not the deciding factor

What percentage did they agree to in the end? PM if you prefer not to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

Apologies haha I actually bought that exact watch from weirs, just took delivery of it today.
    They told me it would be 6 weeks to order a hesalite one if i wanted. so 7-10 days isn't bad for the sapphire. i went for the sapphire as i love to be able to see the inner workings and i dont want to be worried about scratching the glass constantly . i got a 10% discount on it

Apologies haha I actually bought that exact watch from weirs, just took delivery of it today.
    They told me it would be 6 weeks to order a hesalite one if i wanted. so 7-10 days isn't bad for the sapphire. i went for the sapphire as i love to be able to see the inner workings and i dont want to be worried about scratching the glass constantly . i got a 10% discount on it

Lots of summers of the hesaslite one being discontinued.

893bet wrote: »
    Lots of summers of the hesaslite one being discontinued.

i heard both the hesalite and sapphire are coming to an end very soon and a new model will be released next year, the same look with a new movement and a price increase. don't know how true it is but there's a lot of talk about it from watch channels on youtube

• Advertisement

Enjoy the watch, post some pics. Rumour is that the 1861 and 1863 movement moonwatches are being replaced with a watch if identical aesthetics and size but the co axial 3861 movement and a significant price bump. This is fuelling a little bit of a buying frenzy at the moment, however these were produced in large numbers so no need to stress, plenty out there.

i heard both the hesalite and sapphire are coming to an end very soon and a new model will be released next year, the same look with a new movement and a price increase. don't know how true it is but there's a lot of talk about it from watch channels on youtube

It would make sense if both go infairness.

And no doubt the updated version will look largely the same and a 500 euro price increase!

https://youtu.be/ZsJcBBcJkrM

Fitz II wrote: »
    Enjoy the watch, post some pics. Rumour is that the 1861 and 1863 movement moonwatches are being replaced with a watch if identical aesthetics and size but the co axial 3861 movement and a significant price bump. This is fuelling a little bit of a buying frenzy at the moment, however these were produced in large numbers so no need to stress, plenty out there.

If people think they are going to start going for €€€ then.....! Like you say! There are a million of them out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Dev1234

Prices on Chrono24 for a new sapphire sandwich are on the rise. Maybe driven by the discontinuation of the current version?

Dev1234 wrote: »
    Prices on Chrono24 for a new sapphire sandwich are on the rise. Maybe driven by the discontinuation of the current version?

Good stuff :D

Advertisement