Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Acid reflux - going insane

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

We tried many different bottles, Tommee Tippee, Philips Avent, Nuk, Dr Brownes and settled on, and still used, the Mam anti-colic bottle, worked wonders for reducing her air intake with bottles.

All about that vented base!

Its the MAM bottles we use , and a doctor browns also , both are very good. He was drawing in air from his mouth / nose rather than through the bottle , so freeing up the tongue tie seems to have corrected his latch a bit and he doesnt suck in as much air. He still needs a burp , but isnt bringing up anywhere near the same amount of air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

Consultant we saw in the hospital gave us the carobel to use, knowing the baby was on Losec. So, maybe not necessarily an issue?

We used both at once

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭foreverandever

I can never by pass these threads as I had an awful time with my second. Weeks 2-17, if she was awake she was screaming at the top of her lungs. Not just crying. It was pre COVID so my friends, sisters, mother used come over in the evening and walk around with her to give me a break. Shows how important a tribe/community are.

I was breastfeeding- cut out dairy, no difference
    Tried ranitidine (off market now) maybe helped a little bit but I think I was too nervous to stop it rather than it really helped
    Tried craniosacral therapy- maybe helped a little bit and she did tend to keep her head to one side before it.

The only thing I felt helped was a probiotic called Bio Gaia- had to get it on Amazon but is recommended in the NHS. Felt it gave a bit of an improvement in 2 weeks but was difficult to source.

I will say that it was just time for us, after 17 weeks she seemed to just start improving, still crying a bit and awake most of the night but definitely more settled and over time this just kept on improving. Around 9 months she really came on.

She’s a little dote now but definitely a sensitive baby!

It’s such a hard time and even looking back on it I wonder how I survived.

The most important tip- when you really feel you can’t handle any more, put them in the cot, close the door and walk out of the room. I know they’ll keep crying but get 20 minutes to yourself, nothing will happen them, and just gather yourself

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I think its the Gaviscon and the thickened milk is the issue as they both are doing similar jobs.

Losec only reduces the acidity in the stomach , it doesnt thicken or reduce occurances of reflux , just makes them less painful for baby. So can be used with a milk thickener.

Ah that's it, yes I knew there was something that shouldn't be mixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭screamer

Baby gaviscon is not an antacid at all. We also had awful problems with one of ours, and he was given baby gaviscon(useless), then carobel (allergic). we tried so many formulas and eventually cow and gate comfort with nuk bottles and holding him as upright as possible at feedtimes helped, but to any parent going through this, i feel your pain, its such a hard time on you and the baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

I made up a song to sing to her while she was the tiger on a branch.

When I sing it to her now she starts bawling. I think she rememberes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

my heart goes out to you chief, its incredibly difficult and distressing and exhausting and depressing and never ending.

also if its your first its worse, you blame yourself you question what you're doing, the stress levels effect everyone involved.

both you and your partner need to get time away from the crying and you need to get some sleep so make sure each of you gets time off each day, and arrange it so you get some uninterrupted sleep.

this will pass and the child will be fine, just fine, this has happened to millions of babies before you and will happen to millions after you.
    the only people who can suffer permanent damage form this is you and your partner. take care of yourself and take special care of the babies mother, not to sound sexist but for some mothers in particular the feeling of guilt and inadequacy coupled with the exhaustion can result in people going to very dark places.

every new parent takes things very seriously most people look back on the things they did with their first and laugh at how serious and earnest they were and how much they over reacted to everything. nobody looks back at this situation and laughs i can tell you that.

by the second or third baby you are so much more experienced and relaxed about it so its never as bad even if they were to have it.

Advertisement