Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Weaning Thread

Options
1242526272830»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Chubster :)

I just tried herself with some brown wholemeal bread, wasn't too sure if I could give it to her but after googling tis grand.. Oh im weak so cute watching her eat it, between the texture and the fact it is food, it both keeps her entertained and fills her up...

Was finding it hard also to get some nice yogurt that isn't full of sugar, and ingredients and also doesn't come in a huge tub. So the Glenilen Farm stuff seems to do the job, small list of ingredients, not bad on sugar and reg sized pots..Should have known twud be good since tis from Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Pocos

Milly33 wrote: »
    Chubster :)

I just tried herself with some brown wholemeal bread, wasn't too sure if I could give it to her but after googling tis grand.. Oh im weak so cute watching her eat it, between the texture and the fact it is food, it both keeps her entertained and fills her up...

Was finding it hard also to get some nice yogurt that isn't full of sugar, and ingredients and also doesn't come in a huge tub. So the Glenilen Farm stuff seems to do the job, small list of ingredients, not bad on sugar and reg sized pots..Should have known twud be good since tis from Cork

Hi milly regarding brown bread are they alllwed have it? Is there bran in it? Not sure can they have it before one but I Wouldn’t be sure at all so genuinely wondering!

We use the glenisk baby yoghurts! Not the kids ones but there’s actually baby ones that are smaller pots and no sugar! They were recommended to me by a dietician! Herself loves them!!! Can you give one a day? I’m assuming so as they are full of calcium??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Pocos wrote: »
    Hi milly regarding brown bread are they alllwed have it? Is there bran in it? Not sure can they have it before one but I Wouldn’t be sure at all so genuinely wondering!

We use the glenisk baby yoghurts! Not the kids ones but there’s actually baby ones that are smaller pots and no sugar! They were recommended to me by a dietician! Herself loves them!!! Can you give one a day? I’m assuming so as they are full of calcium??

Just make sure there’s no honey in the brown bread. That’s the only ingredient they can’t have.

I get the glenisk yogurts as well. Both for myself and the little fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Pocos

bee06 wrote: »
    Just make sure there’s no honey in the brown bread. That’s the only ingredient they can’t have.

I get the glenisk yogurts as well. Both for myself and the little fella.

Isn’t there something about bran bee? They can’t have too much fibre before one I think! I’m sure the amount they actually eat is so minimal anyway! Most ends up on the floor!

I think it is just not to go overboard with the brown bread, like I gave her half a slice off a loaf.. To be honest id prefer to give her that than give her white bread full of sugar and all that goes..I get the honey thing too, but id say (now I haven't checked or anything) but when the honey is cooked etc or baked in the bread it would probably kill off whatever the worrying thing is with honey, cant think of the name now..

Yeah I had a look at the Glinsk ones too just the list of ingredients I prefer to see one or two and leave it at that...I just get the regular yogurts and then mix in the puree into it, I suppose the amount depends on the baby, one yogurt would normally do three kinda feeds for me but that is the regular sized pot..

Sure tis all about what ya fancy yourself, no rights and wrongs....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I think it is just not to go overboard with the brown bread, like I gave her half a slice off a loaf.. To be honest id prefer to give her that than give her white bread full of sugar and all that goes..I get the honey thing too, but id say (now I haven't checked or anything) but when the honey is cooked etc or baked in the bread it would probably kill off whatever the worrying thing is with honey, cant think of the name now..

Yeah I had a look at the Glinsk ones too just the list of ingredients I prefer to see one or two and leave it at that...I just get the regular yogurts and then mix in the puree into it, I suppose the amount depends on the baby, one yogurt would normally do three kinda feeds for me but that is the regular sized pot..

Well there is some wrongs like anything high in salt and honey in any form whether cooked or not before one year. Cooking it does not remove the spores, it needs to be completely avoided

Honey can contain botulism spores which doesn’t get killed in cooking. It should 100% be avoided in all forms before 1.

Pocos, I’ve never read anything about too much fibre in any of the research I’ve done. Salt should be kept under 1g and no honey are the only 2 things. Let me double check with the BLW group I’m in.

Oh yes I get there are warnings but done plenty of research too on it so all is good ill step away from it now as she says..

I am trying to come up with some more interesting brekkie ideas, what have ye been giving them. So far we have Weetabix, readbreak, sometimes some fruit purees mixed in with them or else puree giving on the side. Tried eggs too but keeping that to the weekends.. Any other ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

When small my daughter liked the bite size shredded wheat, pancakes, toast with peanut butter, breakfast muffins, French toast, scrambled eggs, avocado toast, sweet potato pancakes... that’s all I can think of off the top of my head anyway

thanks Angeldeligth, boards was down so could not reply.. Was gutted I said I would try her with the pancakes at the weekend, but sure the flour was gone (never happens) typical.. Will have to try them soon...

Had the scrambled egg and while she likes it, she doesn't eat much of it tis more of a play thing...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Toast with breakfast? Lots of people do overnight oats and fruit, although maybe your baby is a bit young yet for them.
    I recommended a book called Baby Led Feeding a few pages ago, that has some good breakfast ideas.

After trying herself with Fish this week she wasn't overly impressed with it, so went back to chicken. Have to say the Annabel K recipes are lovely made some chicken with sweet spud, and tomato and it is yummie would be fantastic as a filler for pasta :) and then made up chicken, thyme and orange very tasty stuff...

Going to try make up a mini shepards pie now and see how she takes to the beef, on the look out for some nice salmon but it seems to be scarce at the moment..

My fella isn’t gone on fish either. He’s had salmon a few times and didn’t have much interest. He’ll be having it again tonight so we’ll see how he gets on. Loves chicken and beef. I made meatballs one day and he was mad about them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

My second (who, age 2,is a decent enough eater), never liked chicken, even when it was blended.
    She savaged her first plate of pasta and bolognese (I still remember it!!), but totally dislikes shepherds pie.
    They do have their own tastes, even when that young!

Tis odd with the fish as we gave her from a bite we had to eat while out and she did like it, must try another way to cook it.. The taste thing is funny alright I wonder do they get that from us.. She doesn't really like anything bland and prefers the more tastier stuff, which we or I would be the same.. What do ye think? Still working on the pasta with her must try her again she didn't fancy it much the times I tried, I was wondering maybe she needs a tooth or something to bite into it

My little boy isn’t mad about pasta either and he has 4 teeth. I haven’t put sauce on it yet so maybe it’s just tasteless?

He likes fruit and veg the most. Anything with a mushy texture and he just squishs it in his hands and doesn’t try it (like the salmon).

We had risotto for dinner last night though and he was mad for it which I wasn’t expecting.

Ah ok, so maybe tis just a taste thing I suppose in fairness it is pretty bland. I mixed it into her veg and she still didn't like it...

I love it when they squish the stuff in their hands tis the look on their faces.. Thinking I must get a stressball I wonder would they like the feel of that...

Still have to try my hand at risotto one dish I have never cooked..

In one of the baby led weaning facebook groups I’m in they always say to keep trying because their tastes are always changing.

Risotto is pretty easy to cook but it’s kind of time consuming because it requires lots of stirring! Not good for the days when baby is demanding lots of attention.

True, I shall try again with the fish for sure as I would love her to like fish, as we both do and pasta.. thanks Bee. I can imagine it would not be an easy dish to cook with their demands..

Oh put pureed bolognese on the pasta!Or you can get baby pasta in boots, which is tiny shells, mix into the bolognese and try it that way if you want.
    Funny because my older two would live on pasta now, given half a chance.The four year old is only just coming round to eating some potato and the 2 year old flatly refuses it.So thank god they eat pasta.And most small kids I know love pasta, even if they eat nothing else-preferably plain for most of them.Have no clue what that's about.Oh there is a recipe from the "first 1000 days" cookbook, with chicken, broccoli and pasta and cheese mixed in, that is quick, easy and freezes-and always gets eaten round here.
    Keep trying her Millie.Seabass goes down ok here too, especially if it has a sauce of some sort on it.Fishcakes are a hit too, another way of getting it in.Once they are over one I give them fishcakes from the local fishmonger, and fishfingers (look for ones with highest percentage fish) the odd time.I will always give them a bit of salmon or seabass on their plate too, if we are having it, so they can try it (or ignore it!!!)
    Risotto is great although I find it pretty tasteless-I think it's one of those things that I have never really mastered the making of.It tastes lovely when other people make it though!

• Advertisement

Thanks Shesty, might give it a go next week perhaps must think up of lunch ideas now. Back from the HSE nurse and well they are delighted with her, but she said she could have more food maybe every 2 hours like a snack.. She does get a few snacks but nothing major, it was only this week that she was really looking for more food so tis good timing.. I was thinking maybe boiled egg mushed up or something...

I like the fishcake idea too will have to get looking. I find it odd that for a place surrounded by the sea the fish you get in the shops here is rubbish.. Was smitten today as passing back the local market (we are normally never up this early so first time we made it), I just asked about prices as I didn't have cash on me and the lovely lady there gave me a piece of salmon to try herself with, really made our morning and told me to get the tail pieces as they have no bones in them...

With you on the risotto I have never tried but my sis in law makes a loverly beetroot and feta one, tis to die for but im sure if I tried twud be more like mush

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

We have 1 year old twin girls and have ran out of ideas for there evening time meal. They have dinner at say 3-4 which is usually potatoe/sweet potatoe/turnip with a protein etc. There were on baby rice in the evening time but we've stopped with that in light of all the bad press it has received.

Any ideas greatly appreciated? We've tried some toast and cheese but not sure this will work long term. Bed-time is usually 8.30, they are not sleeping as soundly as a result so I think they may be a bit hungry

I would push dinnner back to 12/1, and have a second dinner at 5/6 at that age.Alternatively, evening meal could be beans on toast, scrambled egg and beans, fish cake or fish fingers, boiled egg and toast with fruit like raspberries or something for "dessert", or maybe a yoghurt.As far as I remember they need two "dinners" at that age.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭kastasia

Ten days in to solids, I just feel like I have so little time and also that he's eating so little, I know from reading other people's experiences that it's quite common but it's different when it's your own? Mainly been trying finger foods and some porridge/mashed potato. Tried porridge fingers the other day, which seems to come up on all lists, but did not turn out great at all. I know I'll get used to this and ideally soon we can all eat the same meals but I've kind of been exhausted the past few weeks and we've been having various ready meals ourselves, so it's not like I'd be feeding him those. I don't have any specific question, just venting a bit and hoping to hear that it gets better.

kastasia wrote: »
    Ten days in to solids, I just feel like I have so little time and also that he's eating so little, I know from reading other people's experiences that it's quite common but it's different when it's your own? Mainly been trying finger foods and some porridge/mashed potato. Tried porridge fingers the other day, which seems to come up on all lists, but did not turn out great at all. I know I'll get used to this and ideally soon we can all eat the same meals but I've kind of been exhausted the past few weeks and we've been having various ready meals ourselves, so it's not like I'd be feeding him those. I don't have any specific question, just venting a bit and hoping to hear that it gets better.

I remember feeling the same when I started. Like I spent all day either cooking or cleaning up. My little boy didn’t eat much until he was around 8 months. He’s 10.5 now and a hound for food. He’ll eat everything I put in front of him (except banana and pear!). He’s also much tidier as well so less clean up (the bibado bib helps with this too!). I found any of the specific BLW recipes he had no interest in. I wasted so much time making porridge fingers, savoury muffins etc and they all got thrown on the floor. Proper normal food and he’s mad for it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭SmallgirlBigcity

Question about weaning and dropping a feed:

My little lad is 8 months old and is exclusively breastfed and has taken to solids really well. He eats 3 meals a day and loves his food. I'm not sure if I should be giving him snacks though. At the moment he doesn't get any. Should I give him a snack or two during the day and think about dropping a breastfeed at this point or is 8 months too early to be dropping a feed?

I'm hoping to end the breastfeeding when he is 1 if possible. So do I start dropping feeds leading up to 1 year or wait until he turns 1?

Also, if I was to continue breastfeeding past 1,what would that look like? Typically, how often would a 1 year old breastfeed?

Thanks in advance. I miss my mothers groups to be able to ask these types of questions!

Question about weaning and dropping a feed:

My little lad is 8 months old and is exclusively breastfed and has taken to solids really well. He eats 3 meals a day and loves his food. I'm not sure if I should be giving him snacks though. At the moment he doesn't get any. Should I give him a snack or two during the day and think about dropping a breastfeed at this point or is 8 months too early to be dropping a feed?

I'm hoping to end the breastfeeding when he is 1 if possible. So do I start dropping feeds leading up to 1 year or wait until he turns 1?

Also, if I was to continue breastfeeding past 1,what would that look like? Typically, how often would a 1 year old breastfeed?

Thanks in advance. I miss my mothers groups to be able to ask these types of questions!

Breastmilk should be the main source of nutrition until 1 so you shouldn’t be dropping feeds (on purpose). Continue to offer 30 mins before food. If you think solids intake is reducing feeding. No snacks needed until 1.

For me, breastfeeding after 1 was pretty much the same as feeding before 1. I fed on demand as I always did. I was working full time from 10 months so I used to feed him before I went to work, when I got home and then if he asked during the evening and at bedtime. Then whenever he woke at night which was every 2-3 hours until he started sleeping through at 15 months. Weekends were on demand. How often he fed depending on how distracted he was. He naturally dropped feeds as he got older and increased his solid intake.

Advertisement