Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U-Value for UFH

Options
  • 16-01-2021 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi,

I'm renovating my house at the moment and I had planned to go with radiators and a combi boiler. I poured a 125mm concrete slab over 100mm PIR insulation intending to put down a batten timber floor. I'm sorry that I never considered UFH at the start, but I'm looking at a work around to get to a U-value of 0.15.

I can afford to lose height as I have very high ceilings and 160mm is the max I can go and this will need to include 50mm liquid screed and 22mm engineered floor. Perimeter to area is 0.5.
    I was going to put down 80mm Kingspan K3 which would get me to a U-value of 0.18.
    I was also considering multifoil insulation above and below (6mm + 6mm) the PIR to reduce the U-value. I'm a little sceptical of multifoil, but apparently it works better when used with PIR.
    I was also wondering (and it might be a stretch) would the 100mm PIR under the existing concrete slab have any effect on the U-value required for UFH?

Any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

What height are your door heads?
    is there perimeter insulation around the 100?
    I would forget about the multi foil

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 reidygs

Hi Calahonda,
    The doorheads are 2450, but also includes a fanlight.
    There is 100mm insulation around the perimeter.
    Is there no benefit to multifoil with PIR insulation?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Sorry, not Uvalue related but have you lived in a place with UF before?
    I know that I would not like it. I (well, my feet) like a cooler slab when in a warm / comfortable space!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 reidygs

Hi Mick, I have yes and I loved it. I was in Japan for a few months and the place we stayed had it. The renovations have being going on for years and I really wish I had considered it before my trip...

Advertisement