Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Darko's Recently Viewed Diary

Comments

Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale - It's rare that I get to experience a film completely blind but this was on one of thoserare occasions in which my quest to ignore all trailers, reviews, interviews or any mention of the film worked out.

Much like Monsters Rare Exports is being touted by many of publications as a genre defining piece and while it is a thoroughly entertaining film it does reek of budget limitations. The bizarre tonal shifts hamper the film with the ending being particularly odd and out-of-place, especially as the last third spends some time building up to a pay off which never transpires.

Still it's a very entertaingin film, which I could easily rewatch tomorrow.

Been awhile since I updated this so here goes:

Reeker 2: Fantastic fun, plenty of gore, inventive deaths and a few laughs. Basically a remake of the original only with added story concerning the Reeker and his origins. It's never going to be considered a classic but for what it is, a low-budget, horror sequel its value for money.

Mutants: An interesting French horror film with great creature effects and gore but a sadly clichéd plot sinks the film into mediocrity. Had they spent a little more time on the plot and crafting an original story it could have been something truly special but as it stands it's entertaining enough but fails to stand out from the crowd.

Snakes aka Python 2: A thoroughly entertaining creature film with plenty of things going boom, some decidedly dicey effects and a constant sense of fun. Low budget as hell but far more fun than it has any right to be.

Resident Evil Extinction: Average enough switch off your brain fun. Milla kicks serious ass but he ropey effects and seen it all before plot sink the film into mediocrity.

Resident Evil After Life: Truly great fun, a series of set pieces strung together with a plot which would fit on the back of a napkin, One fo the few 3D films seen on blu Ray that really you wish you could have seen on the big screen.

Dracula 2000: some interesting ideas but a reliance on tried and tested clichés sinks this one down into the abyss of direct to DVD fare. performances are decent but it all looks oh so rather cheap.

Reptilian: absolutely dreadful Godzilla rip off, atrocious effects, kindergarten play acting, a story written by illiterate 4 year olds yet its strangely compelling. Worth watching just to see how bad cinema can be.

The Host: Superb Korean creature feature, great performances, superb effects and a story at once humours and heart breaking. One of the few recent creature features which realised that story trumps effects.

Dead Space Downfall: surprisingly entertaining and gory animated game tie in. THe voice acting is decent and the story is interesting but its the gore which really impresses. Some of the nastiest and most entertaining death scenes in many years.

Friday the 13th: entertaining if badly dated slasher fare, the waves of imitators have turned what was at the time an original concept into one which every bargain bin the world over is full of. Some nice death scenes and likeable characters help to keep the film well above the imitators.

Vampires: Classic Carpenter, just something immensely cool about it all. James Woods is a serious bad ass, the music rocks and the repeated scenes of Woods and a Baldwin abusing a hooker are hilarious. One of the most underrated horror films of the past few decades and a truly beautiful looking film.

Ghosts of Mars: Ughhhhh, from the obviously plastic swords to the dreadful editing this is one of Carpenter's lowest hours. Yet it's still entertaining as hell with plenty of ludicrous deaths and the cheapest set ever constructed.

The Fog: Atmospheric as hell, while dated it still remains one of the few horror films that can truly be credited with creating a true sense of evil. The acting is spotty but considering the low budget and quick shoot time this is easily forgiven especially considering just how good the film is, you can take your Jack Sparrow and shove it, these are real pirates.

Legion: a truly great concept and a fantastic 90 minutes let down by a woeful final 10. Some great action with Paul Bettany showing just what a bad ass he can be though the rest of the cast is wasted and the overtly talky nature of the film means that it's nowhere near as action filled as it promises to be. Still it does have some jaw dropping moments and is the second best film ever made about angels at war.

Burke and Hare: Dreadful attempt at a horror comedy, a poor mans I Sell the Dad with only Andy Serkis impressing. Skip it in favour of the much superior I Sell the Dead.

The Chaser: While I don't count it as a horror many do so I best include it. Superior thriller, a great concept, superb acting and a real sense of foreboding. One of the best films of the past few years and one which really improves the less you know going in.

I Saw the Devil: One of the best revenge films ever, truly gut wrenching at times and that it manages to sustain its self for over 2 hours is a testament to the quality of the writing. Like the Chaser it's best experienced cold.

Drive Angry 3D: This is good old-fashioned trash, a novel concept and a cast who over act just enough. Some great uses of 3D, the flash back scene has to be seen to be believed and lots of great deaths. A real throwback to the sleaze of yesteryear.

The Devil's Playground: A decent british spin on the rise of the dead. Danny Dyer is really good in what is an underwritten to hell role and there are some nice ideas in play but parkour zombies really don't do anything for me. For a low budget English horror film it's stylish, well made and entertaining but you can't help but wish they had thrown in a few more encounters with the undead.

Black Death: A true classic, Sean Bean was born to wield a sword. THe story, an exploration of faith is superbly handled with fine performances and gorgeous cinematography it's one of my all time favourite films and one which any true horror fan should seek out.

Resurrection Men: Mediocre slasher fare which strives to be so much more. A true missed opportunity, James Nesbit is miscast beyond belief in a role which truly shows his limitations,. John Hannah doesnt fare much better but only because of how 2D his character is. There are tethe h guts of a good film here but it needs more experienced writer and director to bring it out.

Highway to Hell: A lost classic, never released on DVD it stars Chad Lowe and Patrick Bergin in what is an original , well written and made film. Some great effects work and creatures never take away from the fun plot which features the best Hitler of all time.

Brainscan - From the writer of Se7en and starring Edward Furlong the film is a strangelye satisfying little romp. Nothing wholly original or ground breaking but entertaining as hell and with a great villain though the best thing about the entire film is the rather brilliant and spooky theme.

Hobo With A Shotgun - A real gem, 80 minutes of over the top gore and laughs. Much like Black Dynamite it pays homage to the genre in a loving manner by highlighting the ridiculousness of many of the Grindhouse films but never making fun of them.

Manhunter - The best incarnation of Hanniable Lecktor, Michael Mann's adaptation of Red Dragon is a serious, well made and genuinely creepy film which is immensely re-watchable and features one of the most memorable finales of all time.

High Plains Invaders - Cowboys V Aliens, only made on less than the catering budget of its big screen brother. Some nice ideas and 1 good performance but low budget does drag it down. Worth a watch if there's nothing else on but not something you need to track down.

Rottweiler - An odd, odd film. Perhaps the only film about a killer cyborg dog which plays the entire thing without a hint of irony of laughs. It all looks rather great and Paul Nacshy is fun to watch but it's far too serious for its own good. It's worth a watch if you come across it as it really is something quite original and that is something to cherish.

The Deaths of Ian Stone - A good idea let down but an final third where ti all just falls apart. With creature effects from Stan Winston you expect something unique and not costumes which are forever hidden by cheap cgi smoke. it all looks rather cinematic and production values are high but the lack of any real originality does drag the film down.

Down - i bought this knowing nothing about it bar that the cast featured Michael Ironside and Ron Perlman. Expecting a generic B movie I was instead greeted with one of the most entertaining 100 minutes of film I have seen in a long time. The premise about an elevator which kills may seem like the most ridiculous concept ever but by playing it completeely straight and with great fx work it somehow really does work. It's teh kind of film best watched knowing as little about beforehand, and lets not forget the scene in which Ironside and Perlman talk is the B-Movie fans version of Heat.

God Told Me To - Larry Cohen is the God of genre cinema and this is perhaps his most impressive feat. it's hard to talk about the film without giving too much away but the plot concerns a spate of unrelated murder spree and when asked the killers motivations are always the same" God Told Me To". It's a great premise and one which could easily have been used for cheap laughs but Cohen is adept at working with hookey premises and plays it all straight creating one of the oddest and most original films you are ever likely to see.

Apocalypse of the Dead - Also know as Zone of the Dead and starring Ken Foree AotD is perhaps one of the worst films in recent years. The decision to shoot it in English was a disastrous one given that English is a second language to most of the cast and as such line delivery is stilted and unbelievable, throw in the poor acting and each delivery of dialogue is cringe worthy.
    The English speaking cast don't fare much better given how poor the dialogue is, Foree seems particularly lost with his constant twitching and the manner in which he seems to repeats certain words. The story is a shambles, you imagine that it they discovered the Foree was at a Serbian horror con and agreed to spend a few days to shoot a film after which the writers went home and hastily wrote the script over a 3 hour period.
    Even teh worst horror films can be saved by some decent fxs work or gore, unfortunately there's nothing remotely interesting to be found here. While tehre are some hints of good fxs work the camera work is all over the place, with constant quick zooms and a camera man who seems to mistake flailing all over the place as creating a sense of realism.
    Really there's nothing worthwhile on offer here and even the 2 euro I paid for the DVD feels like a rip off.

Tucker & Dale vs Evil - I absolutely adore the film, one of the funniest I have seen in a long time and with enough fun deaths and gore to satisfy. It's a genius piece of film which manages to perfectly capture the mood of cabin in the woods films and sprinkle in enough genuine comedy moments to make it a must see. So good is it that I'm watching it again and looking forward to owning it.

Mother's Day - Been looking forward to this for a long time and it didn't disappoint, a truly fantastic remake and a great film in it's own right. The original is a cult classic but this is good enough to be a true genre classic, great performances, a great script and direction and some genuinely fantastic deaths and situations.

Had I know that it was opening in cinemas here on Friday I would have waited but as it stands I'm quite happy to pay to see it this weekend and I've all ready ordered the Blu Ray which is out in Germany on the 9th of this month.

Decided to do a quick in-depth review of Mother's Day after Darren Lynn Bousman asked me to share my thoughts of the film with imdb users.

Attempting to remake Mother's Day, a low budget and trashy Troma production form 1980 is certainly a daunting task. For while the film will never be considered anything other than cult it is so completely out there that once seen you can't help but love it. And love you will, but not because it's a great film in the traditional sense but rather because of just how fabulously trashy it is.

When approaching the remake it's important not go in expecting a faithful update, the set up remains the same but Darren Lynn Bousman's remake is an entirely different beast and one which is all the better for it. By dispensing with the kitsch humour and feel of the original Bousman has crafted a film which is for want of a better word truly terrifying.

The set up is simple, a married couple Daniel and Beth are celebrating Daniel's birthday in the basement of their new home with a group of friend, safely tucked away from an approaching tornado. Unbeknownst to Daniel and Beth their new home, obtained in a foreclosure auction was not so long ago home to the the Koffin Family, a force of nature far more terrifying than any tornado.

After a bank robbery gone wrong the three Koffin boys return home expecting to find their mother and sister but instead stumble onto the new owners. The set up may sound somewhat ordinary but the plot is far more intricate and layered than one would expect. Allegiances are constantly changing and evolving as friend turns against friend and as the night wears on and the body count mounts no one is leaf unscathed.

Much like the Dawn of the Dead Remake, Bousman has peppered the film with knowing nods to the original. Numerous lines of dialogue pay homage to Charles Kaufman film and Lloyd Kaufman even gets to cameo on the TV, in the background of one scene. It's obvious that Bousman loves the original and that he has poured his heart into creating not just a great remake but a truly superb film in it's own right.

The film is shocking violent at times and while this was to be expected the most surprising aspect of Mother's Day is just how well the psychological horror is implemented. This is not some watered down, run of the mill genre picture but one where the most unsettling moments are not the scenes of visceral violence, (of which there are much) but rather the reflective moments where our hostages are forced to look themselves in the eye and consider just what it is they have done. These are not two dimensional characters but fully formed people we come to care about and this doesn’t just apply to the hostage but also to the entire Koffin family. That none of our characters ever does anything stupid or unrealistic in a bid to escape keeps us constant involved and on edge.

The cast here are at the top of their game but it is Rebecca De Mornay and Jamie King who truly shine. De Mornay as the matriarch of the Koffin family is one of the most unsettling screen villains in a long time. That she never resorts to any form of grandstanding makes her truly realistic and all the more frightening as a result. She is also the only character in the film to have any form of moral system, while our hostages quickly turn on one another she truly values the family system and would do anything top preserve it, making her a somewhat sympathetic villain whose actions are not as straight forward as they initially appear. King as her main adversary turns in a grounded and strong performance becoming every bit De Mornays equal.

Special mention has to also go to Patrick John Flueger, Warren Kole, and Deborah Ann Woll who are simply astonishing as the Koffin kids. That said there is not a single weak performances in the entire film, everyone from villain to victim is at the top of the game and it must be said that it is refreshing to find a genre picture starring adults playing adults.

Mother's Day is easily the best remake in recent memory, it sits up there with John Carpenter's The Thing as a remake which not only betters the original film but is also superior to most other films. It's a sin that Mother's Day has yet to receive a wide theatrical release as it is easily one of the most terrifying, nail biting films of the past decade.

Hard Ride to Hell - Hard Ride to Hell is a thoroughly ridiculous satanic bikers film which is a hell of a lot of fun. A real throw back to genre cinema of the 70s its entertaining as hell all the while be completely and utterly ludicrously bizzare.

Untraceable - A trashy serial killer film with somewhat of an original premise, the killer broadcasts the murders online and the more people watch the quicker death comes. It's the traditional Hollywood serial killer procedural film, a killer whose far too smart and constantly 1 step ahead of the FBI and local police, a tough single mom FBI agent and a charming cop. It's derivative as hell, the tech is beyond ridiculous but in it's own way it's highly entertaining, that is once you accept that all logic has been thrown out the window.

• Advertisement

Lake Placid - Entertaining as hell creature feature. A little short running time but an abundance of great moments make it well worth a watch. The cast are great and the creature effects are very well handled.

Lockjaw: Rise of the Kulev Serpent - A truly terrible creature feature and an abysmal film in all areas. DMX cameos in what has to be the lowest rung in his career and manages to turn in one of the worst performances of anyones career. If the death or effects were in any way effective and fun the film could be worthwhile but alas it's one of the poorest films of the past decade.

Snakehead Terror
    - A fun little creature feature with the always watchable Bruce Boxleitner. Some effective deaths and impressive effects work make it a perfect beer and pizza film.

Dylan Dog: Dead of Night - Dylan Dog in name only but removed from the source material it's a very watchable film. The closest comparison is to Constantine the film, both film are fun and easily pass a few hours but they have nothing in common with their source material bar the title.

Machete Maidens Unleashed! - An informative and entertaining documentary on low budget films shot in the Philippines. Unfortunately I only saw the short TV cut but it certainly has me interested in catching the full version. The only real drawback in the film is how must time is spent on Apocalypse Now and not on many of the more interesting low budget action films shot there in the late 80s featuring actors such as Richard Harris.

Tokyo Gore Police
    - A truly bizarre and bloody film. The story is completely ridiculous and exists solely to string together a series of excessively gory moments. Some cheap looking effects and plain odd moments make it never less than watchable.

Spine Tingler! The William Castle Story - A loving look back at one of the forgotten greats of American genre cinema. Derided during his life time, Castle is one of the all time greats who recognized what his audience wanted and repeatably delivered just that. As the documentary progresses it leaves you constantly wishing that film makers like William Castle still existed.

Haven t updated this in awhile it seems.

Silence of the Lambs - Hadn't watched the film in years but been meaning to give it a spin for the past few months. While I personally find Manhunter to be the superior film Silence is still a very good film. Buffalo Bill is a great character and is far more memorable than Lector, gotta love the "I would fuck me" scene. It's not really a film that you can look into too much, the concept that the FBI would send a trainee agent out into the field is beyond ridiculous. The similarities between the plot and Manhunter don't help either, the main thrust of the plot, Lector helps agent track down killer whom he happens to know is recycled here again.

Been awhile since I posted here but with the month that's in it I decided to do my 31 Days of Fright where I watch a minimum of one horror film a day.

First up was the remake of A Nightmare on Elm Street. Far as remakes go it's one of the more interesting. It's a visually striking film that has a very music video look and feel, which considering the director was to be expected. There's a surprisingly bleak feel to the film and one of the few entries in the Freddy series where he truly is a despicable human being. By making it clear that Freddy was a child abuser makes it hard for the audience to enjoy the kills as much as they should. It's a brave move on the filmmakers part as they paint Freddy as a truly despicable villain and have the audience root for the teens in danger, or it would were the teenagers a little bit more developed. One thing that left a bad taste in my mouth was the motivation for Freddy's killings. There's a line of dialogue near the end where one of the teens states, "We were wrong. He's not after us because we lied. He's after us because we told the truth." Even with that in mind the ANOES remake is a decent way to kill 90 minutes and the fact that it was shot and released as an R rated horror and not some cut to pieces PG13 makes for a pleasant surprise. It's still a long way from the remake heights of My Bloody Valentine which is easily the best modern horror remake.

Next up was The Barrens. From writer/director Darren Lynn Bouseman who gave us a number of the Saw sequels, the rather excellent Mother's Day remake and the brilliant Repo A Genetic Opera. The Barrens is one of the more effective low budget horror films in a long time. It's more concerned with building tension and atmosphere than it is with blood and guts. There's a real sense of unease to the film that makes a change from the cookie cutter jump scares of most modern horror. That said it's not without it's problems, it looks rather cheap having at times the feel of a SYFY original, some of the acting is far from convincing and the ending is both a stroke of genius and a mistake considering how it turns an interesting character study into just another creature feature. Still it's ahead of trash like the Chernobyl Diaries.

After the surprisingly enjoyable The Barrens I sat down to watch Famine, the latest genre entry from Ryan Nicholson. Don't think I've been as disappointed by a film in a long, long time. At only 65 minutes Famine is a dull, plodding, poorly made mess of a film that could easily lose 30 minutes and still feel overlong. The plot is thread bare, performances are woeful and the kills are lackluster and boring. There's not a single redeeming aspect of the film, from the amateurish direction, to the sound which appears to have been recorded underwater, Famine is easily one of the worst films of 2012.

To kick off day 3 of 31 Frights I watched the rather decent SYFY original Roadkill. Shot on location in Ireland the film follows a group of young American adults who get together for one last road trip before they begin their adult lives. The plan to travel around Ireland in an RV visiting castles and ruins is cut short when our group accidentally run down and kill an old gypsy woman who curses them shortly before she shuffles of this mortal coil. Soon our attractive looking young adults are on the run from a giant evil bird and the gypsies relatives who have control over the beast aswell as plenty of shotguns. It's pretty standard low budget fare, imagine Thinner by ways of Jeepers Creepers and you get Roadkill. But for what it is Roadkill is an effective 85 minutes that is head and shoulders above most of the drek produced by SYFY. Watching a bored looking Stephen Rea cashing a quick pay cheque is one of the films highlights as are the numerous shots of the comically bad CGI baddie. While nowhere near as good as Grabbers, it is pretty decent post pub fun, just don't go in expecting anything other than a bargain basement creature feature and you won't be disappointed. Looking at the image of the DVD cover on imdb and noticed that it and Absentia use the same image of a woman clawing at the ground.

Day 4 of 31 Frights was the rather enjoyable Werewolf: The Beast Among Us. Apart from the clunky title there's actually a lot to like here. A spin off from the Wolfman and released just in time to case in on the re-release of the original Universal horrors this is one of the better low budget horrors in many a year. No one is ever going to call it a classic and in 10 years time it'll be largely forgotten but the85 or so minutes that it lasts it's an absolute hoot.

The cast is rather good and the acting is spot on for the most part. One or two of the supporting cast hams it way up but the leads are all having a blast. Ed Quinn in particular is a lot of fun as the leader of the hunters, he plays it like the bastard child of Indiana Jones and Van Helsing. The FX are excellent considering the budget, the transformations and some close up shots of the werewolf are a little cartooney but is certainly superior when compared to much larger budget fare as that seen in the Twilight films. Most important of all is the script which is surprisingly strong. There's nothing new here plot wise but the dialogue is decent, the set up is fine and the scenes between attacks never drag which when it comes to a low budget title such as this is a blessing.

Werewolf: The Beast Among Us is not the rebirth of horror cinema as we know it and I doubt I'll ever watch it again but for some diverting, escapist low budget horror it certainly delivers.

On my phone so keeping this short. Day 5 of 31 Frights was something a little more light hearted and fun, the Pierce Brithers rather wonderful Deadheads. The low budget nature of the film is obvious and some of the acting is a little too broad but none of that matters. There's plenty of laughs, the two main leads are great, there's some great FX and there's a sweetness to it all that's hard not to warm to. If only ever zombie film had this much wit then the genre wouldn't be so derided.

• Advertisement

Day 6 of 31 Days of Fright is Mike Mendez's Gravedancers. 

Bar the opening scene, which feels like an afterthought and something that was thrown together at the last minute in order to appease some producer who assumes every horror film has to open with a kill rather than slowly building up the tension as the post opening scenes do so well, there isn't a bum note in the film. 

The set up is simple, three college friends reunite after the funeral of a friend. On the night of the burial they head to the cemetery to toast their departed friend one last time and considering that this is a horror film things end up going awry. After consuming too much alcohol the friends read aloud an ancient poem and dance upon the final testing places of three less than friendly spirits. Fast forward a few weeks and our three friends find themselves bring haunted by a rapist, a murdered  and an arsonist. 

Any great horror succeeds on the basis of how well its ideas or creatures are implemented and in the case of The Gravedancers Mendez succeeds in both departments. First up the creatures, the make up FX does a wonderful job of creating memorable and frighting spirits which  
    bring to mind such genre classics as Evil Dead and the Hush episode of Buffy. Sparingly shown, the build up to their appearances  is a master class in building tension.  Perhaps the strongest aspect if the film is the manner in which the concept of grave dancing is brought into play. It's an original mythology story helps turn the tired concept of the haunted house into something fresh and interesting. 

Throw in a strong cast, fantastic visuals and assured direction and you have a low budget genre classic that brings to mind such genre giants as Raimi, Hooper and Dante.

Day 7 of 31 Frights was a double  bill of Splinter and The Clinic. 

Splinter is for all intents and purposes a calling card, a film made to show the talents of an FX artist cum director and as such the FX work is brilliant.  The creature design and its usage is highly reminiscent of Evil Dead II and Bride of Re-Animator. There's a subtle charm to the low budget nature of it that's hard not to love and the creature is used sparingly in order to create just the right amount of tension.

The cast including the brilliant and underrated Shea Whigham all play it with just the right amount of tongue in cheek. A strong script and tight direction give the film the look and feel of a much larger production making Splinter one of the best creature features to come along in years.

The Clinic, a low budget Australian shocker is more thriller than out and out horror but most would argue otherwise. Ignore the preposterous   and downright ridiculous motivation behind the villains actions and there's a lot to like here. The script is decent and the actors are all fine though none of them has much to do beyond running around and looking scared. 

There's some great moments that heighten the tension and the initial set up is interesting but there's nothing here we haven't seen before. Now that doesn't stop it from being an interesting and enjoyable experience just one thats extremely frustrating considering how well the first hour and a bit plays out. Ignore the final 15 or so minutes and The Clinic is a damn fine low budget suspense film that does a low with very little.

My horror double bill turned Into a triple bill with Stranded aka Djinns, a rather plodding and mundane French horror that has an interesting concept but does nothing with it.

There's some nice imagery but the film just meanders from one disjointed scene to another with with little in the way of tension or original ideas. The fine cast is wasted in generic underwritten roles with each of the soldiers being so bland that they're interchangeable. Worst of all are the Djinn who lack any sense of menace or presence. Still it's not all bad, the directors manage the odd inspired flourish and the cast do the best with the poor script but overall this is an uninspired, forgettable and at times rather boring tale that manages to turn a great set up into something generic and forgettable.

Day 8 of 31 Days of Fright was Adam Giersch's Night of the Demons remake. 

The plot is straight forward enough, a group of friends attend a Halloween party in a gothic New Orleans mansion where 85 years ago a multiple murder occurred. As expected the night takes a turn for the dark when the police shut down the party and our 7 friends find themselves locked in the house and at the mercy of some rather nasty demons. 

It's clear from the off set that Night of the Demons is a rock n roll horror film that sets out to entertain the hell out of the viewer. Giersch infuses the film with a sense of fun and it feels like he has made the kind of film that every 15 year old boy wants to see. Full of big breasted babes, gallons of gore and the rare ability to poke fun at the sheer absurdity of it all NotD is just a blast from start to finish.

Yes the plot is pretty basic and the characters are one dimensional as hell but you know what, who the hell cares considering just how much fun it all is. 
    Once the films gets into gear and the demons appear its non stop, over the top absurdity that's hard not to love. There's so much blood, guts, slime and bodily organs onscreen that 80s horror fans are going to be in heaven. Throw in the awesome soundtrack, good cast and  some really interesting shots and you have the sleaziest, trashiest and most down right enjoyable horror film to come along in many a year.

Night of the Demons may not be the smartest or most original horror film around but it sure as hell is one of the most fun filled ways to spend an evening. 

Day 9 of 31 Frights as a double bill of Alien Raiders and Slither.

Alien Raiders is a low budget, direct to disc sci-fi horror from Raw Feed. The set up is interesting and the plot is well done and original but the tiny budget means that it has a very cheap fell. Some of the acting is a little over the top and strained but over all it's pretty decent considering the budget. The FX work is decent and the aliens when seen are effective but again the low budget means that they spend most of the time off screen.

Alien Raiders is a film about ideas over spectacle and as such it's rather effective. While the set up is the most interesting of all the Raw Feed films it's technical shortcomings and lack of a polished script make it the least effective and enjoyable of them. Still for a low budget sci-fi horror it's pretty damn enjoyable and at under 80 minutes it doesn't out stay its welcome.

Following on the alien invasion theme Slither was the perfect follow up film. A witty, gory, slimy, fun filled film 90 minutes that will leave a constant smile on your face. THe script is witty and fun and pokes fun at dozens of 80s genre classics in a refreshingly witty and understated manner. The cast are excellent, Gregg Henry, Michael Rooker and Nathan Fillion are all brilliant and embrace the absurdities of the script making for truly inspired moments.

• Advertisement

Day 10 of 31 Days of Fright was the rather bloody good The Collector.

Writers Patrick Melton and Marcus Dunst, best known for their work on the Saw sequels have with The Collector created one of the more inspired and enjoyable horror films of the past decade. The set up couldn't be simpler. Arkin, played by the underrated as hell Josh Stewart is a handyman who uses his day job to case potential targets. With loan sharks leaning on his wife to repay what she borrowed, Arkin breaks into the home of a wealthy family who are supposed to be away on vacation. Things are far from simple and instead of finding an easy score Arkin finds himself trapped in the house where a masked madman has set dozens of lethal traps and torture devices and plans to spend the night tormenting the family. Arkin, finding himself trapped faces a moral dilemma, to help the family or simply save his own skin.

The Collector has something that most modern horrors would kill for, a straightforward narrative that doesn't get bogged down in overtly complicated character development. The film is for the most part a one man job and with the focus almost constantly on Arkin, Dunstan, making his direction debut doesn't waste time trying to flesh out the character of the Collector. Far too many recent slashers have went out of their way to develop over convoluted and complicated back stories for their antagonists. The Collector is a silent, brooding presence that feels like a force of nature and brings to mind such genre greats as Jason and Michael. He exists solely to inflict plain on others and takes pleasure in watching as innocent bystanders fall prey to his traps.

The Collector is a strangely beautiful film. The acid washed look of the film perfectly captures that foreboding atmosphere that the film drips. There's a grittiness to the film which is perfectly augmented but the superb soundtrack from Jerome Dillon. The Collector is at it's most impressive when it marries together striking visuals with the pulsating score to create a nightmarish reality for the Arkin.

The biggest problem with The Collector is that it's one of those films that doesn't know quite where to end. There are at least 4 moments in the final 15 minutes that would mark the perfect ending to the film but as far as complaints go it really is a small one. The Collector is a taught, well made horror that knows exactly what it's audience wants and gives it to them. The superb central performance by Stewart who does a hell of a lot with very little and the superb visuals help make the Collector one hell of an enjoyable ride. Roll on part 2, The Collection.

Yesterday's Fright was the rather underwhelming Chromeskull: Laid to Rest 2 a by the numbers slasher which squanders a great villain in a poorly made, cheap looking quickie with none of the style or wit of even the genre's most unassuming and forgettable entries. Made for spare change found down the back of the couch there's an inherent cheapness to it all which when mixed with some truly terrible acting and a lack of tension makes the film hard to watch. The FX work though is fantastic and the kills are nasty as they come but it's not enough to make the film watchable.

Day 12 of 31 Frights was The Tall Man. From the director of the superior Martyrs The Tall Man is one of those films that was missold as a horror film. It's a rather mundane thriller that id one of the most peculiar things I've seen in a long time. It's not quite the worst film of the year as there are some interesting ideas but theres also something inherently insulting about it all. The set up hits all the expected genre cliches and for the first 45 minutes appears to be you basic every day horror but then it gets interesting and for all of 20 minutes it looks like the film could actually be something special before the entire thing just falls apart. The final 5 minutes
    are amongst the most insulting things I've ever sat through.

It may be an over used metaphor but The Tall Man is like watching a car crash. The whole thing makes absolutely no sense and the overall message/attempt at social commentary is childish and offensive. It really is hard to take any of it the least but serious.

Visually it's one of the dreariest, flattest and down right ugly films in a long time. It's like watching some early 2000s shot on handy cam student film.

Day 13 of 31 Frights was a double bill of Sublime and Perfect Creature.

Sublime is a rather good good psychological horror which utilise genuine real fears to create a horror reliant upon ideas above all else. At close to 2 hours it is slightly overlong and has some serious pacing issues but the string central performance and intelligent script really help it stand out from the pack.

Perfect Creature is a steam punk vampire tale that again puts ideas above spectacle. A number if great set pieces and a brilliant take on the vampire mythos make it one of the few vampire films in recent years to do something unique. Real shame that the long talked about sequel has yet to go into production.

Today's horror was Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter, a fine example of trashy action cinema that is never less than watchable. The novel concept and setting help the film stand out a little but the script is weak and really doesn't expand upon the basic idea. Still it's well directed and has a number of fantastic set pieces and is never boring which is all you really want in a film such as this. No one is every going to mistake it for a classic and in 10 years time it will be largely forgotten but for some throwaway nonsense you could do a whole lot worse.

The latest in 31 Days of Fright was the sci-fi horror Storage 24.

A visually flat, derivative, by the book low budget Allens meets Predator knock off thats just dull and lifeless. It's got all the flair of a damp brown bag caught in a sewer grate and while the cast is strong they really don't do much with the underwritten script. Storage 24 isn't a terrible film, it's just do uninspired that you can't help but shrug your shoulders and not care. Its the kimd of film that belongs on the SyFy channel.

Another day another Fright and after last nights underwhelming SyFy original wannabe I opted for a genuine cheap as chips SyFy original with Mandrake. Which is perhaps the only film ever made where an attractive looking non Japanese are menaced by tentacles. 

Mandrake does quite well by attracting and then wasting the abilities of two talented and successful TV actors, Max Martini from the Unit and The Shield's very own Benito Martinez. Watching them struggle with the poor characterisations and weak dialogue is painful considering how much they've impressed in numerous other projects. 

Mandrake does a bit right, there's a decent sense of tension and a foreboding atmosphere for all of 15 minutes but everything is so by the book and run of the mill that you've seen it a dozen times before in similar SyFy originals. treasure hunters getting attacked by some mythical entity seems to be their most popular story considering they've made the same film a dozen times at this stage.

The problem with Mandrake is that it does nothing the least but innovative or fun. Films such as Frankenfish and Boa vs Python work because of how much fun they are. They embrace the absurdity and go with it whereas Mandrake plays everything straight. There's not a single genuine laugh to be found and few unintentional ones either. It also features the worst green screen **** in years and by the time the credits roll you'll find it difficult to recall anything from the previous 80 minutes. 

For a killer vine film with wit, intelligence and a sense of fun check out the rather great The Ruins. 

Decided to go a little lighter with the latest 31Fright. Watched the silly fun that is My Name is Bruce and then Inbred.

My Name is Bruce is silly, silly crap with a ridiculous concept, some very poor acting and bargain basement FX. And you know what, none of it matters given just how much fun it is. Bruce Campbell is brilliant and is obviously having and absolute blast. There's plenty of laughs and while a bigger budget would be a bonus there's few films that embrace the absurdity of an undead Chinese god who protects rice curd. By no means a classic but for a decent laugh you could do a lot worse.

Decided to try something a little closer to home with the low budget Inbred. Inbred is another in the long and tired city folk versus hillbillies genre. There's no originality on display here but there is actually quite a like to enjoy. There's a particularly nasty streak running throughout the film which helps it stand out a little from the crowd. The gore is good if a little too CGI at times and the kills are nasty but the mid section really drags and most of the attempts at humour fall flat. Inbred is not a shining example of the best the genre has to offer but it's not the worst way to spend 90 minutes though if does leave you with a hankering for dome classic Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Day 18 of 31 Days of Fright was the criminally underrated The Hole.

Not to be confused with the Keira Knightly starring teens in trouble horror from a decade or so ago, The Hole 2010 is a low budget PG13 horror from the cinema legend that is Joe Dante.

The story follows two brothers who settle with their mom in small town USA. Exploring their new home they stumble across a locked door on the floor of their basement. With the assistance of their attractive neighbour the brothers open the door and discover a hole that seems to have no bottom. In the days following all three are forced to face their fears as all manner of evil behind stalking them.

The Hole is very much a throw back to 80s horror cinema and brings to mind such genre classics as The Monster Squad and Gremlins. The young cast all impress and make the most of one of the stronger genre scripts in years. Few horror films have tackled the theme of child abuse in such a mature and intelligent manner and it's a credit to both the script and Dante's assured direction that it never feels exploitive or heavy handed. 

The Hole is a film that has sadly never gotten a chance. Bypassing theatres it was dumped unceremoniously onto DVD and Blu-Ray which is a shame. It's an intelligent, well made and genuinely unsettling horror that makes great use of a talented cast, a string script and some great old school fx work. 

Day 19 of 31 Days of Fright was Wrong Turn 5.

The Wrong Turn series hit its high point with the second entry in the series. It was a balls to the wall horror sequel with more wit and inventive kills that anyone ever expected. Sadly parts 3 and 4 were amongst the worst films released in their respective years and were pretty much unwatchable.

With part 5 the series has somewhat redeemed its self offering fantastic gore, nasty kills and a real mean streak that runs right through the film. 

Plot wise it's a by the numbers horror sequel with a by the numbers plot, a pretty poor script, ridiculous plot holes and a cheapness that's hard to over look. That said the kills are particularly sadistic and there's some very effective gore. It's not big and it's not clever but it easily kills 90 minutes and doesn't leave you dreading another entry in the series.

• Advertisement

Day 20 of 31 Frights was Cockneys vs Zombies a film that is far more enjoyable than it has any right to be.

The set up is simple, two brothers team up with a rag tag bunch of criminal **** ups in order to rob a bank and save their grandfathers nursing home. As per the title their simple plan goes awry when legions of the undead rise up and begin to feast upon the living.  It's nothing we haven't seen before and is similar in style and time to Shaun of the Dead and Braindead and as such the laughs cone quick and fast. There's  numerous sight gags and some fantastic one liners that make the film one of the best comedies of the year. The undead football hooligans versus a rival firm to the theme of Match of the Day is comedy gold. The gore is equally well handled and rather inventive. The metal plate in the head is equal parts comedy genius and gore soaked insanity. 

Cockneys vs Zombies will never be mistaken for a genre classic but its a hell of a lot of fun and is destined to be a cult classic. 

Day 21 of 31 Frights was Dead Season a generic zombie film whose best features are the brief run time and rather gorgeous scenery. The script is passable if lacking in originality and the cast are generally fine but there's a certain blandness to it all that stops the film from being anything other than a passable time killer that's nowhere nears as much fun as Dead Heads, this years best zombie film.

Day 22of 31 Frights was another SyFy original, the rather nicely titles Arachnoquake.

It's another in the long line of cheap as chips creature features from the channel and while it'll never be mistaken for a classic it's a relatively entertaining 85 minutes. 

The plot is the same as a dozen others. A natural disaster allows ungodly creatures to escape and spend their time tormenting the local populace. Amongst the carnage we follow a rag tag team of heroes who go out of their way to get into ridiculous scrapes and battle wave after wave of giant spiders.

The FX work is not exactly impressive but it does have a certain rustic charm. At least the film makers are striving for a little ingenuity and use their money where it matters. 

At the end of the day a lot can be said when it comes to criticising Arachnoquake but it embraces the ludicrous premise and has a little fun with it. It's not a film likely to blow you away but it'll keep you entertained for 85 minutes and is certainly a step up from most SyFy creature features. 

Day 23 of 31 Days of Fright was the wonderful The Devil's Carnival from the wonderfully talented Darren Lynn Bousman. Re-teaming with Terrance Zdunich who also wrote Bousman's Repo The Genetic Opera, The Devil's Carnival is a more accessible if infinitely darker tale of evil.

As you may gather from the title the story is set within Lucifer's Carnival and follows three fallen sinners, a grieving father who committed suicide, a naive girl whose boyfriend shot here and a thief who found herself at the wrong side of a police shoot out. After arriving in hell the sins of the three are laid out for all to see as Lucifer and his twisted carnival freaks torment and teach each of the fallen of the fallen sinners a lesson.

At only 55 minutes in length the Devil's Carnival really could benefit from another 30 minutes run time. There are a lot of characters introduced in the film and it's a credit to Bousman's abilities as a film maker that he manages to ram so much in and keep up the frenetic pace. There's never a dull moment and much like Repo the soundtrack really shines. Each of the songs is catchy as hell and the second the film ends most will find themselves going and ordering the soundtrack that includes a few numbers not heard in the film.

The Devil's Carnival is 55 minutes of unadulterated pleasure for horror fans and succeeds in trying something a little different. It's the most surprisingly enjoyable film of the year and is destined for cult classic status and leaves you desperate to see the Devil's Carnival part 2.

Dat 24 of 31 Days of Frights was another SyFy original creature feature, the rather enjoyable Ferocious Planet. It may be of particular interest to Irish viewers considering it's from an Irish director, features a largely Irish cast and was shot in some woodlands around Dublin. But to be honest the main reason for watching the film is the presence of Joe Flanigan and lots of pissed off evil aliens.

The plot is the same as pretty much every other SyFy original. A rag tag group of soldiers and scientists are caught up in an inter-dimensional vortex and transported to an alternate dimension where a number of pissed off man eating creatures spend their time hunting down and killing our heroes. It's pretty basic stuff but there are some memorable moments along the way and it even has a few interesting ideas though at the end of the day it feels like a lesser Stargate script that was deemed too poor to film and spent the past half decade gathering dust.

As with all SyFy originals the FX is ropey, the acting ranges from passable to terrible, it all looks incredibly cheap and you can't help but feel like you've jsut wasted teh past 80 minutes of your life but there's a few nice deaths along the way and Joe Flanigan is always watchable. Ferocious Planet is not a genre classic and I doubt I'll remember it a week from today but there are a lot worse ways to spend a hour or so after a few pints.

Day 25 of 31 Frights was the pretty damn awesome, The Day.

From director Douglas Aarniokoski, The Day is intended to be the middle part of a post apocalyptic trilogy. The film follows a group of 5 survivors 10 years after the world we knew ended. When one of their party falls ill the group take refuge in an abandoned farm house where they find themselves the prey of a group of cold blooded cannibalistic savages.

Unlike most films in the genre, The Day never gets lost in exposition and is rather straight forward which is one of the films strongest points. There's no reminiscing on the world that once was and we really have no idea what happened to the world that was. It's an interesting and rewarding decision that leaves the door wide open for the prequel to explore the events leading up to The Day.

Visually the film is somewhat flat and at times it's difficult to see just what is happening on screen. The decision to shoot with available light and setting the majority of the film at night results in some rather interesting fight scenes and adds to the sense of claustrophobia. It certainly makes for an interesting film and unlike pretty much every other horror, post apocalyptic film we don't spend any time wondering how in the middle of the night that wooded wasteland is lit likes it's 12 in the afternoon.

The Day is one of the more interesting post apocalyptic films in a long time and while it lacks the bite of the truly brilliant Stakeland it's certainly head and shoulders above most.

Day 26 of 31 Days of Fright was a double bill of Fido and Midnight Movie.

Fido is a rather fun homage/piss take of Douglas Sirk melodrama with the added bonus of fleash eating zombies. It's a witty and enjoyable film that follows a young boy and the bond that grows between him and his pet/servent zombie. There's little in the way of gore but there's a charm that's hard to overlook and Billy Connolly does a hell of a lot with very little. The film does at times feel like a short stretched out to feature length but there's a real sense of fun to it all.

Midnight Movie is a low budget slasher with an inventive and fun central premise and a real sense of fun. The deaths are fun, the killer memorable and the premise is far more rounded and intelligent than the generic killer on a rampage. It's not a classic but it's far more memorable than most and leaves you hoping for a sequel.

Day 27 of 31 Days of Fright was the wonderful Tucker and Dale vs Evil , a film that no matter how many times I watch I never tire of.

It's a loving homage/spoof of slasher films aswell as teens in the woods 80s gore flicks and works as both a brilliant comedy and a damn fine slasher film. Performances are universally brilliant with our two leads impressing the most. The death scenes are genius, suicide by wood chipper is one of the funniest scenes in years and alone makes the film worthwhile.

Day 28 of 31 Days of Fright was a double bill of war time horrors.

First up was the rather moody and well made The Devil's Rock. Set the day before the D day landings the film follows two Kiwi soldiers sent on a special mission to destroy a gun placement. After setting charges on the gun the soldiers hear screams from within the fortress and venture within to explore and discover a fiendish Nazi plot involving the summoning of a demon.

The Devil's Rock is the first feature from one of Weta's leading FX experts and it shows. Visually the film impresses and the creature make up is excellent but the script really could do with some work. The initial set up is very well handled but the mid point reveal and subsequent scenes lack any real sense of urgency. 

Still far as genre cinema goes its one of the more interesting to come along in awhile. Acting is decent though the German SS officer with no hint of a German accent is hard to take seriously and the demon as good as it looks is not in the least but frightening. 

The Devil's Rock is an enjoyable and well made low budget horror but you can't not watch it and think what could have been. A little work on the script and a bigger budget and it could easily be something truly special.

Next up was Deathwatch, a WWI horror which follows a group of English and Irish soldiers who stumble across a deserted German trench and quickly realise that there's evil at work.

Much like The Devil's Rock there's a lot to admire here but sadly it's an underwhelming experience. The cast are fine but the characters are straight out of genre cliche 101. There's the overtly religious one, the commander with no field experience, the new recruit who lied about his age and so on. With a little more wit and inventiveness and this could have worked in the films favor but Bassett does little to examine the horrors of war. That the films most unsettling and effecting moment is the sight of a sick soldiers rat eaten legs says it all. War is hell and the addition of the supernatural really only distracts from examining how man can do easily lose his humanity. 

Far as the horror is concerned, well Deathwatch does a lot right. There are a few incentive kills and a great sense of mouthing claustrophobic terror as the days drag on but the ending is lack struck and the script just not strong enough to impress.

It's hard to hate on Deathwatch as it really tries hard to be something a lite different but sadly beyond its setting there's not a lot of originality to be found and it really could do with losing 10 minutes from the middle section. It's a valiant effort and is never boring but again, there's do much promise there that you can't help but feel let down by how generic it all feels.

• Advertisement

Day 29's fright was Primal, a bland by the book creature feature with a woeful script, poor acting, cheap practical FX work and some truly shoddy CGI.

The scenery is nice and there's a few inventive shoots even though they do resemble something from a music video. Primal is one of those films that  has the ingredients for an easy to watch throw away gore soaked 80 minutes but it's do ineptly made that you can't help but grow bored pretty early on. The ending is one of the most ridiculous things ever put onscreen and the creature looks like it stumbled out of an early PS1 title. 

Primal is bad and not even the so bad it's good variety, it's just plain ol poorly made crap.

Day 30 of 31 Days of Fright was marathon of films.

First up some 80s John Carpenter cheesy fun with Prince of Darkness. A group of scientists and a priest investigate an vial of ooze the has spent a thousand years locked up beneath a church. As the night wares on things take a turn for the worse when the local homeless population led by Alice Cooper blocks all exits and then inside the ooze begin
    s to take on a mind of it's own. Prince of Darkness is very much lesser Carpenter but it's not without it's charms. There are a number of great ideas in play, mirrors as a doorway to alternate dimensions, the ability that dreams are messages from the future and the ooze it's self are all fantastic ideas but sadly Carpenter does nothing with them. The films biggest problem is that for most of it's running time it's little more than people chasing people down long corridors. There really is a great film in there but it get's lost amongst the horror cliches. Still it's not a bad film and there's a great score, some wonderful imagery and a sense of fun.

Next up was C.H.U.D. which is a perfect slice of 1980s cheese. An inventive, tongue in cheek film that understands the absurdity of the set up and just runs with it. As the underground homeless begin disappearing a cop, a reporter and a slightly demented preacher team up to investigate. Journeying beneath the city they find that cannibalistic monsters are devouring the population and in true 80s style things go crazy. C.H.U.D. is not high art but it is a lot of FUN which at the end of the day is all you want from a film whose title is an acronym for "Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dweller".

Continuing the 80s theme, next up was Dead Heat which to this day remains criminally unseen. Writer by Shane Black's brother Terry, Dead Heat is a classic of the horror genre and brilliantly pokes fun at the zombie genre while lovingly homaging some of the classics. I could go on for days about just why the film is one of the greatest films of the 80s but nothing is going to convince you more than sitting down and watching it. It's funny, sweet, has buckets of great looking gore and some of the best practical FX work you will ever see.

To end the night I decided on a second John Carpenter film, his remake of Village of the Damned which was the only film he made I had never seen. Made in the mid 90s it's decidedly lesser Carpenter and looks like it was made a good decade before Prince of Darkness. Visually it's a drab and uninteresting looking film with little of Carpenter's trademark style. The score is drab, performances are mediocre and the script is poor. The most interesting thing about the film is seeing a young Thomas Dekker as one of the children. Beyond that there's little to recommend here and while it's not a terrible film it's just so average that you can't help but be bored.

Day 31 of 31 Days of Fright was a triple bill consisting of Children of the Corn, The New Daughter and Stigmata.

Children of the Corn is one of those fondly remembered films that really isn't all the great. The set up is fantastic and for the first hour it's an interesting and enjoyable little horror with a great set up, a real sense of tension and some fun kills. Sadly the final third manages to kill the tension thanks to far too many jump scares and a creature that ranks amongst the least threatening ever put on screen. It really is hard to figure out the lasting appeal of the film and even harder then to know why anyone deemed it necessary for 5 sequels and a remake, none of which really added anything new to the mix. The original is not a bad film it's just a little bit too bland to leave an impression.

Next up was The New Daughter, a Kevin Costner starring slow burner based on a short story by the talented John Connolly. Much like any film based on a short The New Daughter feels over long and padded. There's a great set up and a hell of a lot of potential but for the first 90 minutes not a whole lot happens and when the **** hits the fan it's far too rushed and lacking a sense of urgency. Visually it's a great looking film with fine performances and an ending which is deserving of a better start. Were the film to lose 30 minutes from the mid section and a script which focused more on teh mystery behind the mound then this could be something special. On it's own merits The New Daughter is an watchable time killer that could have been something truly special.

Finally to end the night it was Stigmata. Stigmata isn't a bad film it's just overlong and not that interesting. The plot is pretty basic and the ending tries to add pathos and depth but it doesn't ring true when the preceding film is little more than an overcooked music video. Yes there are some memorable moments and the cast are fine but there's nothing here that hasn't been done a dozen times before. Visually Stigmata is something of an oddity. The cinematography is gorgeous and there are a number of wonderfully inventive shots but the whole thing is desperately trying to ape the style of Se7en in such an obvious manner that it takes away from the overall experience. Stigmata is the kind of inoffensive time waster that desperately wants to be something more than a generic genre entry but sadly it just isn't interesting or fun enough to be in any way memorable. The only lasting affect the film has, is leaving you with an desperate need to rewatch End of Days so that you can see a film with Gabriel Byrne and religion where he's actually allowed to have fun.

Not watched a whole lot of horror over the past month but did finially sit down last night to watch The Awakening.

It's a refreshingly old school ghost story with an interesting premise, a good script, a fine cast and some really interesting ideas. There's nothing we haven't see before in films such as The Innocents, the Others, Woman in Black and a few others but like the better examples it's a well thought out and intelligent story that offers a lot to think about. There are no easy answers and I imagine that it will lend itself nicely to a rewatch.

Been awhile since I've poster here but in the past weeks I've watched a few horror films.

The Factory - This really is one of those films that promises so much yet fails on pretty much every level. The set up is interesting and the story progresses nicely till it all falls apart thanks to a cliched, lack struck script, a cast who phone it in and an ending that ranks up there with the worst things ever put on screen. The final 5 minutes are so retarded, so down right stupid and insulting to the viewers intelligence that you do feel stupider for having watched it.

The Girl and Hitchcock - Neither is a horror but both deal with one of the genres finest auteurs. Hitchcock is a loving tribute to the man and Hopkins is wonderful but it's all style and little substance as it really hasn't a lot to say. The Girl is the more interesting film as it concerns it's self with depicting Hitch's more unsavory habits. Both films are interesting and entertaining but you can't help but feel that you could make one truly great film by cheery picking the best bits of each film. I'd love to have seen Imelda Staunton's Alma in Hitchcock alongside Hopkins.

Tales From the Crypt: Demon Knight - No one will ever mistake this one for a classic but for a low budget genre entry it remains one of my favorite. It's a witty, tongue in cheek homage to the comics with great performances, some wonderful FXs work and more ideas than most big budget blockbusters will ever manage. Any horror fan owes it to themselves to grab a pizza, a six pack and a copy of the DVD. It really is one of the most entertaining 90 or so minutes you will ever spend in the company of horror cinema.

A few from the past months.

My Bloody Valentine (remake) - Rewatched this for the dozenth time and it remains a damn great film. Filled with great kills, a fine cast, a great script and some of the best uses of 3D yet. It really does deserve to be held in much higher esteem and the lack of a sequel is criminal.

Underworld 1-4 - Watched the series and really enjoyed it. Have seen the first two a few times but sitting down to watch parts 3 and 4 I expected something a lot less interesting. Granted the mythology is somewhat convoluted and the films are over long but they're never boring. Perfect fodder to kill a lazy evening in.

Drive Angry - Perhaps my favorite use of 3D ever. It's little more than a Ghost Rider ripoff and by christ is it entertaining. Cage is brilliant and Fitchner is equally great. Really cannot recommend it enough to anyone who enjoys a little slice of trashy action.

Pries - Little more than a sci-fi remake of the Searchers, Priest is an entertaining if not exactly original sci-fi film that sadly squanders great source material. It's relatively short and fitfully entertaining and while easily kill 90 minutes.

Hansel and Gretel Witch Hunters - A few fun moments but overall a bland, long and drawn out horror that hasn't a single original moment. Really is a shame considering just how much fun Dead Snow was.

Phantoms - good fun that manages to do a lot before falling apart at the end. O'Toole is slumming but having fun and it's a joy to watch. Had the film concentrated a little more on him and a little less on ropey CGI fx and this could have been a winner.

Night Train - A poorly made and uninteresting film that squanders a great cast on a script that feels like a rather poor episode of the 80s Twilight Zone. It could have made a great short but at feature length it's at least 60 minutes too long.

Stag night - A far better than average slasher with a good cast and nasty sense of glee attached to the various deaths. The performances are good and the script packs a few interesting idea making this one to seek out.

The Prophecy - A fine example of what low budget horror can do when a filmmaker has a good idea. Intelligent, well made and featuring Christopher Walken's best performance in many a year.

Slaughter of the Innocents - One of the lesser Silence of the Lambs wannabes, SotI is a completely bonkers serial killer flick with the great Scott Glenn being given not a whole lot to do. The killer is good fun and his reasoning behind his murders are interesting but the kid is annoying as hell and the film has the cheap early 90s shot on the quick look. That said the ending is just too odd not to like.

Hypothermia - Quite possibly the worst film of the past decade. A cheap, cheap looking film with a woeful script, performances that are one note and a look that screams "we shot this over a weekend with a few friends". The creature FX is cool in a retro way but it looks crap and there's not a hint of menace to it and there's not a single bit of tension generated in the film.

Blood and Chocolate - One of the more interesting love will conquer all wannabe horrors of the past decade. It's not exactly all that good and the story has been told a dozen times before but it's a hundred times more entertaining than Twilight and a thousand times better made.

Piggy - A interesting revenge tale that loses itself near the end as it leaves far too many questions unanswered. The cast are excellent, the violence is visceral and tough to watch and it looks great but sadly the script simply isn't good enough.

The Hidden - One of the finest films of the 80s. Any self respecting horror or sci-fi fans owes it to themselves to watch this at least once a year.

John Dies at the End -John Dies at the End is one of those films that shows just what can be down with a limited budget when given to a director with some vision. The meager budget is used to create one of the most involving and bigger worlds than pretty much any 200 million dollar blockbuster. Every cent is on screen and Coscarelli knows exactly what the viewer wants and has created one of the silliest, zaniest, down right charming films ever made.

There's an awful lot going on in John Dies at the End and to try and condense it down into a paragraph would be a disservice to the film but in order to convince you to give it a chance, I'll try my best. John Dies at the End tells the story of two, slacker twenty somethings, Dave and John who after a nights partying take a drug know as "soy sauce". From here things get weird as the sauce throws open the doors of perception and as such, the rules go out the window and were treated to a dog driving a jeep, a monster made of meat, an topless alternate world right out of Eyes Wide Shut and a dozen other inspired moments of lunacy. Words really cannot do justice to the sheer brilliance of the onscreen insanity. It's the most ridiculous film I've seen in many a year and also the most entertaining.

Adding a little prestige to proceedings are the always brilliant Paul Giamatti and Clancy Brown. They play their roles just the right amount of tongue and cheek and while our leads Williamson and Mayes are both excellent, one can't but imagine just how great a film where Giamatti and Brown's characters team up.

Back to the film. John Dies at the End is not a straight forward narrative and the film has fun jumping around the place. The episodic nature won't appeal to some and there's no doubt that it can be a jarring experience but when a film is this much fun you really couldn't care less. The first act has John and Dave as a pair of bargain basement Ghostbusters, the second act is exposition heavy and the third act introduces an alternate reality with some poor green screen but there's not a single moment that I'd lose from the 90+ minutes. It really is just the oddest, most down right brilliant thing that I have seen in many, many years though I can easily see why many will hate it. There's an oddness to the film that must be accepted in order to enjoy the film.

And those that accept the lunacy are in for a treat. As the credits roll I was left wanting more. this is the kind of project that if there was a kickstarterfor I'd happily give every cent that I could afford to. I could go on and on about just how much I loved the film but really, everyone should just take the time to watch it. And there's really no excuse now that it's been added to US Netflix

Manhunter - The best Hannibal Lector film by far and one of my all time favorite films. Just an all round classic with a number of brilliant set pieces and a finale that is perfect.

ParaNorman - A kids film that manages to be far more affecting and emotional than most. A wonderfully realised world with a great script and some truly beautiful moments. Really cannot recommend it enough.

The Purge - A bland, lifeless thriller that manages to take a great set up and do absolutely nothing with it. It feels like a cheap remake of Judgement Night.

Dead Mine - A damn fine low budget horror with some wonderful locations, an interesting set up and a cast multi national cast who all impress. It ends rather abruptly and leaves you praying for a sequel. It's never going to be considered a classic but it's far more deserving of your time than say the latest Paranormal Activity.

No One Lives - Some decent looking gore but overall a missed opportunity that manages to be boring beyond belief with a cast made up of some of the stupidest characters ever put on screen. Real shocking just how poor this is considering that it's from the director who gave us Versus and The Midnight Meat Train.

ABC's of Death - Talk of a mixed bag. Some of the shorts such as D is for Dogfight are amazing and manage to be amongst the years best while entries such as F is for Fart manage to be the worst things ever put on screen. It's mixed bag but it's usually interesting and rarely boring.

Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter - A real hammer classic with some brilliant moments. Real shame that the proposed franchise never came to be as I'd love to see what Kronos did next.

The Condemned - The WWE does Battle Royale and it sure is fun. Steve Austin is great as a big lug who can punch someone to death and the kills are all well done. Again, like many I list here it's not big and it ain't clever but it is fun which is all you want for a lazy Friday night in.

Odd Thomas - An enjoyable adaptation that does a hell of a lot right. It's a shame that the film has seen such post production trouble as it's superior to a lot of this summers big blockbusters and deserves far more than being dumped to DVD in Hungary.

World War Z - Enjoyable if not exactly all that good adaptation that throws away everything that was good about the novel in favor of telling a cliched tale of globe hopping. Pitt is good but it's not like he has much to work with and the script is really stupid. That said I am looking forward to watching the extended R rated version when it hits Blu-Ray next month.

Wolfen - One of those forgotten horrors of the 80s that places the emphasis on a good script above all else. Albrt Finney is excellent and the mythology is brilliantly implemented though it is slightly over long and the ending is a bit WTF. Still it's well worth a watch and a lot of modern filmmakers could learn a whole lot from it.

Desperation - A long, boring, drawn out King adaptation that's a chore to sit through. Really not worth your time or money.

• Advertisement

Eerie 13 - One of those great low budget treats. A zombie film that takes the time to set up the story and introduce us to the characters before letting the carnage ensue. The make up FX is excellent and there's some great kills and vest of all the script is decent and performances are impressive. It really is one of those films that deserves a whole lot more than being dumped direct to DVD.

Zombie Massacre - A truly terrible piece of inept filmmaking that fails on every level. It looks incrediably cheap, the acting is atrocious and there's not a single original or interesting idea in play. It really has to be seen to be believed just how poor it all is.

The Seasoning House - One of those great little low budget gems that no one expects anything from. It's one of the grimmest films in recent memory and takes place in the Balkans at the height of the genocide and focuses on a deaf girl whose job involves preparing kidnapped girls for their work in the worlds least appealing brothel. It's a claustrophobic tale that's unrelentingly grim and while the final third is a departure from what came before it remains a highly effective and nasty little horror thriller that deserves to be seen.

100 Bloody Acres - Bloody good fun is all you need know about this horror comedy that does almost everything right. A smart script, strong performances, superb direction and just the right amount of blood an guts make this standout from the glut of forgettable horrors released every week. It's just a joy to watch and Reg is one of the most likeable horror antagonists in the history of cinema.

R.I.P.D. - R.I.P.D. IS pretty much a big screen version of GvE meets Men in Black without the wit of either. Still it's far better than it has any right to be and Bridges and Reynolds are excellent and have great chemistry. It's just a shame that it all feels so familiar. From the very first scene it's obvious who the big baddies going to be and there's not a single surprise in the films entire 90 minutes. And that's not necessarily a bad thing, it's rather refreshing to find a summer release that comes in under 90 minutes and doesn't try to be anything other than some light, easy to digest entertainment. R.I.P.D is the kind of film that you'll have forgotten 10 minutes after its over but while it lasts its never boring and manages to raise more than a few smiles. It's not a film I'd go out of my way to see but I can see myself thrown it on at some time in the future when I want something easy to kill a few minutes. .

The Frozen Ground - Another John Cusack serial killer film, another waste of time. One of the most generic, plodding and dull thrillers in many a year. Cage is decent and Hudgens impresses but it's 50 Cent whose the real standout. Playing somewhat against type he shows a range that no one expected of him. Shame that Cusack is so uninterested, he doesn't even bother to phone it in favoring instead to have his assistant fax it in for him. Really was looking forward to this one but sadly it was for the msot part a waste of time.

Beowulf - Not the big screen motion capture one but rather the late 90s, Christopher Lambert starring steam punk one. Visually it's gorgeous with some of the best production design around but sadly the low budget means that at it's best the film is only really adequate. Lambert is decent and the script isn't half bad but you get the feeling that the whole thing was little more than a set up for a sequel that never came.

You're Next

So here are my quick thoughts on You're Next. For those too lazy to read it all, I'll sum it up by saying that You're Next is for me, the best film of 2013 and destined to be remembered as a classic.

Last year's A Horrible Way to Die from writer Simon Barrett and Director Adam Wingard was an exceptional piece of work that stands as not just one of the best genre films of the past decade but, a damn fine film that put pretty much every big screen release to shame. Wingard and Barrett further collaborated on the wonderfully witty short Q is for Quack from last years ABC's of Death, as well as entries from both V/H/S and it's sequel. And now, their latest feature length horror opus, You're Next, has received a wide mid-week release, something which is almost unheard of for anything other than a 200 million dollar CGI infused blockbuster and as such expectations are high with many claiming that You’re Next is a game changer, a film that was revolutionizing the horror genre as we know.

From the start it's only fair to point out You’re Next is not a game changer, nor is it a film which will drastically alter the horror landscape, and that is not a criticism of the film. Hyperbolic statements such as those do little more than create expectation in the viewer and it's unfair to saddle any film with such expectation.

You're Next tells the story of Paul Davison, his medicated wife Aubrey and their dysfunctional, grown up kids and significant others coming together to celebrate Paul and Aubrey's 35th weeding anniversary. As one expects, things are far from cosy and it's not long before old rivalries and childish squabbles are reignited. Things come to head during a particularly heated family dinner when just as things are about to explode the not so quiet tranquility of this family gathering is shattered by a crossbow bolt, followed swiftly by the introduction of a gang of murderous, animal mask wearing party crashers.

You could be forgiven for reading the above plot description and assuming that You’re Next is yet another in the seemingly never ending line of home invasion slashers and while there's nothing striking original in the set up, You’re Next manages to be one of the most satisfying entries in the genre to date.

Wingard and Barrett playfully toy with genre conventions and expectations in such a refreshing and impressive manner that nothing here feels stale. Even the pre-credits death, one of horrors most generic and tired conventions is playfully mocked in a manner which defies expectations. There's a visual punch and a symmetry between imagery and sound that creates some genuine tension in these opening moments. The closest comparison one could make is to the infamous opening death in Scream, only You’re Next manages to surpass it both stylistically and inventively.

The manner in which viewer expectations are toyed with in You’re Next is perhaps the films ace in the hole. The opening invites us to sit back and enjoy a familiar ride but once the mayhem kicks in You’re Next takes the path less traveled. Genre expectations and the rule book are thrown out the window and the mid film twist is a thing of beauty that few will see coming. Thanks to the smart script and assured direction the transition from slasher flick to revenge thriller never feels jarring. It feels like a natural progression for the genre and one that opens up a whole host of possibilities that the film gleefully embraces.

One of the films more striking aspects is the score, which is highly reminiscent of many 80s genre classics, most noticeably the work of John Carpenter. It's deeply unsettling and adds a real sense of foreboding to the film. It works as both an homage to the films Wingard and Barret so clearly love as well as welcome change from the more heavy metal orientated scores of modern horror. The use of this old school synth score is perfectly offset by the repeated use of the wonderfully toe tipping and upbeat Looking for the Magic by Mind the Gap, a song that would feel more at home during the final moments of an episode of Gossip Girl than in a traditional horror film. The juxtaposition of such an infectiously happy, pop number with such unrelentingly grim violence is a stroke of genius on the filmmakers part and perfect highlight the streak of dark humour running throughout the film.

You’re Next is the perfect balance of horror and fun and manages to craft a truly unnerve sense of dread throughout. This is not some generic, sanitised teen friendly horror but rather a superbly acted, brutally violent and unrelenting ride with a number of truly inventive and memorable kills. It's a messy, messy ride that once our villains appear rarely stops for breath and has so much fun subverting audience expectations that one can't help but fall in love with they mayhem. Genre fans owe it to themselves to experience You're Next and everyone would be a fool to miss what is by far, the cinematic highlight of the summer.

World War Z UNRATED Cut - The addition of a little of the red stuff adds absolutely nothing to a run of the mill zombie film. There's so much potential that one can't help but be disappointed by a film that really has no idea just what it wants to say or do.

Autopsy - A gleefully sick and twisted romp with some really inventive gore and a pitch black streak running throughout it. It may not be the most original of films but it has a lot of fun picking off our various characters and the hanging organ scene is a work of genius.

Riddick - Not a patch on Pitch Black or Chronicles but a damn good old school sci-fi flick with some excellent creature FX. The opening 30 minutes is a wonderful piece of cinema and you have to hand it to any film brave enough to spend it's opening third with barely a word of dialogue. Shame then that the middle section is overlong and unexciting and the ending, fun as it is is seriously rushed.

Doom - One of the better game to film adaptations and a real nice throw back to those sci-fi horrors of the 80s. Some wonderful creature FX is the highlight but like many contemporary films the director mistakes dark murky corridors for atmosphere.

Remains - The kind of low budget horror that you can't not think that a child would do a better job. The set up is interesting but the whole thing looks cheap as hell and could pass for a mid 90s afternoon sitcom. The writing is atrocious and seems to blunder from one set up to the next with little joining the random events. Defiantly one to miss.

Friday the 13th Part 2 - A watchable slasher but it's little more than a remake of the original and feels over long. There's some good gore but the script is formulaic and lacks any surprise. It's a decent way to kill 80 minutes but there's so many better slashers out there that it's hard to recommend.

Lord of Darkness - Quite a bit of good fore and FX work but the script is really, really poor and the ending is so stupid that it's insulting. The whole thing works better as a calling card for ti's talented director and FX crew but that's not reason enough that your film should be watched by anyone outside your friends and family.

Silent Hill Revelations - Quite simply one of the poorest films ever given a mainstream release. It's 80 minutes of poor acting, bland direction and Sean Bean tripping over an accent that sounds ludicrous. The FX work is fantastic but that's the only aspect where the film doesn't fail miserably.

Hannibal - A decent if uninspired thriller with some interesting deaths and good performances. Moore is rather good and Hopkins gives the second best Lector performance but watching it one can't help but think of just how superior Manhunter is.

Rites of Spring - A damn fine low budget horror that's more concerned with plot than it is cheap scares. The creature himself looks good but there's no enough of him on screen and you're left wishing that we'd spent a little more time with him and a little less with our bungling kidnappers. The somewhat open ended closing leaves the door open for a sequel and it's one of the few occasions where you'd like to see a sequel/

Texas Chainsaw - There's so much potential here to create a sequel that does something a little bit special and early on it appears as if Texas Chainsaw may actually be doing something interesting. The opening scene where the Sawyer family is massacred is rather well handled and offers an interesting take on just what i justice but the status quo of slasher films is soon restored as we follow a group of attractive young adults on a trip to Texas. And given that title it's not long before out heroes cross paths with Leatherface and all hell breaks loose and things play out exactly as you expect them to until around the 45 minute mark where our heroine goes to the towns people for help only for the tables to be turned and we realise that leatherface may not be the worst evil in town. There's so much that could have been done with the idea of Texas justice and if two wrongs can make a right but sadly the script manages to make it all as interesting as the preceding 45 minutes, which isn't all that.

It's nice to see a sequel actually strive to do something a little different but sadly when it's this dumb and poorly handled you kinda wish that they'd instead stuck to cutting up attractive ladies and not tried to shoe in one of the laziest and dumbest social commentaries in the history of cinema.

• Advertisement
Advertisement