Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Question - PV Battery Storage & BER

Options
  • 17-02-2021 10:41am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Is the BER Rating effected by the addition of a battery?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ec_pc

I would imagine they are a factor from a renewables perspective. PV Solar, Batteries and Micro turbines are all mentioned in a BER report.

I should also add that I think the BER Cert is a bit of a dark art and is all based on some weighted calculation process.

I am A2 at the moment (still clarifying that) as there were some things missed from the BER cert including the Solar PV and battery (that previous screen shot is from my BER report).

However interestingly I have a cassette style stove which is airtight and completely inset to the wall with no traditional open fireplace as such in the house (external air supply comes in the bottom of the stove) and there was a query over water temperature both of which dragged the BER rating down. Fireplaces / chimneys even if airtight are a major no-no.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

ec_pc wrote: »
    I should also add that I think the BER Cert is a bit of a dark art and is all based on some weighted calculation process.

I am A2 at the moment (still clarifying that) as there were some things missed from the BER cert including the Solar PV and battery (that previous screen shot is from my BER report).

However interestingly I have a cassette style stove which is airtight and completely inset to the wall with no traditional open fireplace as such in the house (external air supply comes in the bottom of the stove) and there was a query over water temperature both of which dragged the BER rating down. Fireplaces / chimneys even if airtight are a major no-no.

Yeah not questioning the merits of the BER process and limitations of the DEAP software etc.

I just have to update my BER for my Solar PV grant. I only done my renovations in 2017 and only got my BER done last year. On paper went from D1 to B1 but I done a lot in fairness. Particularly with insulation and renewables.

The solar PV company are just processing my
    Paperwork for the grant but the battery is not fitted yet but the full POV array is done and commissioned so if the battery plays no role in the BER figures then in theory I could
    Process the grant paperwork now.

In that context I don't think it matters. I had a BER cert done by the solar PV installers and by agreement they gave me an E rating as the house was still being renovated. That was Feb 2020 under the old grant scheme and I got my full grant from the SEAI.

When house was finished, I got A2 rating, new BER cert

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭MOTM

Having a battery doesn't change the BER grade. All that's needed is the PV and a grid connection. DEAP manual Appendix M1 applies.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Thanks guys.
    Assessor confirmed same.

Advertisement