Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crohn's and my doctor stopping my medication

Options
  • 25-11-2020 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi, all. I have IBD (Crohn's to be exact). I have been on medication for it. I was also prescribed Vitamin D supplements which I was told I should consistently take. My GP has changed as he retired and now this new GP that I have won't renew my prescription unless I do blood tests, colonoscopy, endoscopy, etc...

I'm running out of my medication for Crohn's but she won't renew them. She also says I will not give you Vitamin D supplements anymore until you do the tests that I have named above.

I also suffer from Asthma and she is stopping that medication too, unless I do all those tests.

I have told her that given the current circumstances with Covid-19 and the fact that my immune system is so weak due to the medication and my condition, I am not comfortable with doing any tests at all.

She doesn't listen and is putting a stop to all my medication.

What can I do about this? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭beachhead

She wants a new evaluation of your conditions-protecting you and herself.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Gentle reminder - no medical advice allowed as per charter

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

beachhead wrote: »
    She wants a new evaluation of your conditions-protecting you and herself.

I presume she can evaluate her patient notes?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

A new gp will often work to familiarise themselves with their patients, especially those with longer term/chronic/acute conditions, this is conscientious of them, nothing to worry about. As for current covid restrictions and procedures, the absolute best care is taken, my good friend just had a laproscopy and the hospital staff were faultless

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭NinjaRambo

But she has been my gp for the past year though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Vitamin d is available without prescription.

You are overdue medication and condition monitoring and your gp has a duty to ensure that her prescription is safe.its her signature on the script so its ger responsibility to ensure that the medications she is prescribing you are adequately monitored and not harming you.

Is it a condition that is likely to resolve itself or get worse? Would such invasive and distressing investigations be necessary to ascertain if the condition requires a treatment change or can that be ascertained from discussing symptoms. Would it have any impact in asthma? Why would someone need scoping to ascertain if they need inhalers?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

rock and hard place OP and oddly I am almost in that situation myself. VERY hard.

But stopping meds like that? Before tests? Very odd. And yes, scary for you

In relation to anything crohns related, probably follow up with your gastroenterologist. Although getting things like bloods are totally important even atm depending on what meds you're on etc so I imagine a gastro would encourage you to get them. Might be worth talking through your concerns more with doctor?

Graces7 wrote: »
    rock and hard place OP and oddly I am almost in that situation myself. VERY hard.

But stopping meds like that? Before tests? Very odd. And yes, scary for you

What's your situation like, at the moment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Tony H

hi fellow IBD er here , if you are under the care of a GI ,contact the team ,my GI has 3 IBD nurses are they are quickly contactible through phone but much quicker through email , if your meds are essential for your condition you're GP has no say IMHO in stopping your meds ,
    in fairness he/she is probably making sure by taking bloods that you are doing ok ,
    try getting the bloods done if you can ,
    she can order scopes but I don't think unless you are private , they would be months away,
    Hope you get it sorted out soon and don't stress too much .

NinjaRambo wrote: »
    What's your situation like, at the moment?

It is sorted now thank you. I went over her head. As others here are suggesting that you do. and as is wise

Has this happened recently to you, or has she been asking a while now that you have the tests?

Please, contact your consultant as soon as possible.

It is sorted now thank you. I went over her head. As others here are suggesting that you do. and as is wise

Has this happened recently to you, or has she been asking a while now that you have the tests?

Please, contact your consultant as soon as possible.

Thats great to hear! No this happened from literally 1 week ago.

Tony H wrote: »
    hi fellow IBD er here , if you are under the care of a GI ,contact the team ,my GI has 3 IBD nurses are they are quickly contactible through phone but much quicker through email , if your meds are essential for your condition you're GP has no say IMHO in stopping your meds ,
    in fairness he/she is probably making sure by taking bloods that you are doing ok ,
    try getting the bloods done if you can ,
    she can order scopes but I don't think unless you are private , they would be months away,
    Hope you get it sorted out soon and don't stress too much .

Thats fair. Blood test, I'm fine with. No, I'm not private, I have a medical card. She said she'll write to the hospital and I'll be in next week, but she is bsing for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Tony H

Thats fair. Blood test, I'm fine with. No, I'm not private, I have a medical card. She said she'll write to the hospital and I'll be in next week, but she is bsing for sure.

I've dodged/rescheduled a few hospital appointments in the last few months , with my immune system I'm not taking unnecessary chances unless I really need to , next week I'm seeing a new rheumatologist so that's one I'm going to as my joints are bad at the moment .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Hi, all. I have IBD (Crohn's to be exact). I have been on medication for it. I was also prescribed Vitamin D supplements which I was told I should consistently take. My GP has changed as he retired and now this new GP that I have won't renew my prescription unless I do blood tests, colonoscopy, endoscopy, etc...

I'm running out of my medication for Crohn's but she won't renew them. She also says I will not give you Vitamin D supplements anymore until you do the tests that I have named above.

I also suffer from Asthma and she is stopping that medication too, unless I do all those tests.

I have told her that given the current circumstances with Covid-19 and the fact that my immune system is so weak due to the medication and my condition, I am not comfortable with doing any tests at all.

She doesn't listen and is putting a stop to all my medication.

What can I do about this? Any advice would be much appreciated.

What medication are you on for Crohns?
    You need to have your bloood checked at least every 6 months, generally you only need Vitamin D in the winter months.

To be honest she’s just being a good doctor. I wouldnt dream of going to hospital for a colonoscopy but going for a blood test is quite low risk

Gael23 wrote: »
    What medication are you on for Crohns?
    You need to have your bloood checked at least every 6 months, generally you only need Vitamin D in the winter months.

To be honest she’s just being a good doctor. I wouldnt dream of going to hospital for a colonoscopy but going for a blood test is quite low risk

By stopping all medication immediately and suddenly and not listening to her patient;s very real concerns ? Not " good" at all. Quite..... bad... in fact.

If the dr has neglected previous tests? Not the patient;s fault .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I would be very concerned about stopping asthma meds (particularly preventative steroid inhalers) and would contact either your Asthma nurse/consultant team or the asthma society - I can understand a GP wanting to review a patient but they also should be aware that some drugs should not be stopped suddenly.

Pretzill wrote: »
    I would be very concerned about stopping asthma meds (particularly preventative steroid inhalers) and would contact either your Asthma nurse/consultant team or the asthma society - I can understand a GP wanting to review a patient but they also should be aware that some drugs should not be stopped suddenly.

Exactly my concern too. I had this done to me a few weeks ago and it is not safe or right.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I'm surprised your GP writes your script for ibd, is your condition not managed by a clinic?

Contact your clinic and they will write you a prescription. My GP is aware of my condition but does not prescribe for it or treat it.

If your condition is stable you should be having bloods done 1-2 times a year. How long since your last scope?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

As for the asthma...I don't know. Get a new GP maybe.

OP; any progress? Hoping you are OK?

OP; any progress? Hoping you are OK?

Thanks so much for the kindness. Unfortunately I have had 0 progress with my gp.

So did you have tests? I really think the doc has a duty to you, and that includes making sure your med is correct. You don't know what discrepance the doc found in the old guys records

So did you have tests? I really think the doc has a duty to you, and that includes making sure your med is correct. You don't know what discrepance the doc found in the old guys records

Then she can discuss them with the patient, not make unilateral decisions about medication for an unrelated condition as a threat.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Then she can discuss them with the patient, not make unilateral decisions about medication for an unrelated condition as a threat.

So get a new doctor. Will also want to do tests

So get a new doctor. Will also want to do tests

Maybe so. Most likely will not stop all meds in order to force them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Wife was diagnosed with crohns 6 years ago and on a raft of meds.

Sufferered severe pain every few months and despite her gp saying it was appendix, the GI team kept saying crohns.

We moved to kerry, went to the Bons in severe pain. They asked who diagnosed crohns, ended up taking out an inflamed appendix and after requesting all her previous tests and doing a scope told her she was misdiagnosed and to enjoy her life. Hasn't looked back in the last 12 months.

Moral of the story, a fresh set of eyes can make a difference.

Just be aware that not all vitamin D is equal. My wife saw a guy in Dublin who has done training under a Brazilian doctor who researched vit D in auto immune patients.

Advertisement