Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PC For Photoshop

Options
  • 21-01-2021 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭

Hi All,

My wife wants a desktop tablet do her photoshopping stuff on for her photography.

I thought I’d get her one for her bday but I don’t really have a clue. I know it needs to be half decent as I have premiere pro on my work laptop and it runs at a snails pace.

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced desktop and/or a good website to buy one from. Or what specs I should be looking for.

Apologies for such a basic question. All her requirements are that it work for photoshop well and be a desktop, she wouldn’t use it for anything else.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Budget?

Would you consider a Mac? The new M1 based Mac's like the Mac Mini desktop get awesome reviews for performance. They are €785.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Dublinandy3

JDxtra wrote: »
    Budget?

Would you consider a Mac? The new M1 based Mac's like the Mac Mini desktop get awesome reviews for performance. They are €785.

I thoughts macs were in the mid 4 figures, budget as little as possible lol but I could go up to the price of what you just mentioned probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Doodah7

When you say 'desktop tablet' I assume you mean a desktop computer and not a laptop or a tablet?

If so and as your wife wants something reasonably powerful, you are unfortunately going to have to spend a little bit. The crappy €400 desktops with low-powered version of an AMD processor and 4GB of RAM is not going to cut it.

In general you will need to spend around/over €750 to get something decent that you won't regret purchasing two years down the road. As another poster mentioned, the new M1 Mac mini is probably by far the best bang for your buck.

HOWEVER, a couple of caveats (and this coming from someone currently typing on a Mac): if your wife has never used a Mac there IS a learning curve. How steep it is depends on your wife and her ability to adapt to slightly different ways of doing things compared to Windows. Secondly, make sure the software she uses for her photos is available on Mac.

Other than these, the speed and power of the Mac mini will blow away any comparably priced Windows machine currently on sale in Currys etc. It will also last for many years before needing to be replaced.

Doodah7 wrote: »
    When you say 'desktop tablet' I assume you mean a desktop computer and not a laptop or a tablet?

If so and as your wife wants something reasonably powerful, you are unfortunately going to have to spend a little bit. The crappy €400 desktops with low-powered version of an AMD processor and 4GB of RAM is not going to cut it.

In general you will need to spend around/over €750 to get something decent that you won't regret purchasing two years down the road. As another poster mentioned, the new M1 Mac mini is probably by far the best bang for your buck.

HOWEVER, a couple of caveats (and this coming from someone currently typing on a Mac): if your wife has never used a Mac there IS a learning curve. How steep it is depends on your wife and her ability to adapt to slightly different ways of doing things compared to Windows. Secondly, make sure the software she uses for her photos is available on Mac.

Other than these, the speed and power of the Mac mini will blow away any comparably priced Windows machine currently on sale in Currys etc. It will also last for many years before needing to be replaced.

Yes, I meant computer, was tired when I was typing. Thank you. Looks like it will probably be the mac mini. My wife is unlike me, she's super smart so she picks things up quite quickly.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

Just make sure the M1 device supports whatever you'll need it for because I'm pretty sure it's big.little architecture rather than x86 on the chip so just double check everything you want to use is compatible with it.

• Advertisement

Aodhan5000 wrote: »
    Just make sure the M1 device supports whatever you'll need it for because I'm pretty sure it's big.little architecture rather than x86 on the chip so just double check everything you want to use is compatible with it.

Good point, thank you. I'll do some googling

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Yes, I meant computer, was tired when I was typing. Thank you. Looks like it will probably be the mac mini. My wife is unlike me, she's super smart so she picks things up quite quickly.

Thank you

Ahh the recipe of happy marriage, admitting and accepting that the wife is always smarter and knows best!!!:D

Advertisement