Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS 14

Options

Comments

Shn99 wrote: »
    Same has happened to me

Reboot has fixed it for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Honestly surprised at how people are finding the dev betas so far, I expected a lot of bugs and issues that would make it a no-go. Especially with such drastic changes to the app layout and things like picture-in-picture. Not just simple app redesigns or small feature additions.

I’ll be interested to see if macOS 11 is a mess this year, that had such drastic changes it probably takes a lot of hits.

Still, it’s welcome Apple could pull together such a polished beta 1 especially with the current climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

DubDJ wrote: »
    Honestly surprised at how people are finding the dev betas so far, I expected a lot of bugs and issues that would make it a no-go. Especially with such drastic changes to the app layout and things like picture-in-picture. Not just simple app redesigns or small feature additions.

I’ll be interested to see if macOS 11 is a mess this year, that had such drastic changes it probably takes a lot of hits.

Still, it’s welcome Apple could pull together such a polished beta 1 especially with the current climate.

MacOS Big Sur has lots of bugs, had to revert back to catalina earlier today. Ill hold out for the public beta

Mr.S wrote: »
    The accessibility feature that opens an app by double tapping the back of the iPhone is really cool

I always love the days after the keynote where smaller features like this start to be discovered. There’s a lot to like in this release, event stuff like the smaller incoming call banner are really welcome changes.

Mr.S wrote: »
    The accessibility feature that opens an app by double tapping the back of the iPhone is really cool

It’s brilliant. So much easier take a screenshot with it assigned to a double tap. I’ve Google Assistant on the triple but hopefully they allow the camera to be added to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭boreder

Most of the time things like this get uptake within a 20km radius of San Francisco.

Cupertino isn't within 20km radius of San Francisco :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I'm extremely tempted to get the Developer Beta again this year, but I'd be concerned the AIB app won't work, which happened to me before.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭turfthrower

Running the developer beta on my iPad pro. It's rock solid. I'm really surprised. I only installed it last night, so perhaps it'll implode later, but so far so good.

As someone said already, it's super impressive that they got a beta so refined for its first exposure to developers, given they have been dealing with the virus like everyone else. Obviously having their own developers working from home has had advantages. Less time wandering around a Cupertino office having coffee and watching Apple TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭turfthrower

AIB Mobile Tablet app is working perfectly, for the person who was concerned about that. I still wouldn't put this on my main iPhone - it's too important for work to me - but there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I'm extremely tempted to get the Developer Beta again this year, but I'd be concerned the AIB app won't work, which happened to me before.

Running it since Monday and no issues with the AIB app, works as expected. Really surprised how solid this release is. I've religiously installed the dev beta on day one for the past few years and this is the most solid it's ever been.

So far only issues with 2 apps, All 4 randomly crashes when trying to play a show, takes 3-4 attempts to get it going (only seen this on Apple TV, twice so may have been a glitch).

Nintendo Switch app seems to hang when trying to log in. No way around it from what I can see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Been using it on my iphone the last day or so now. Seems quite stable no issues.

It seems far buggier on the iPad but I’m happy enough to leave it as I don’t rely on that as much. Apart from a few little glitches with the weather widget the phone has been bang on.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Metalpanic

Had the weather widget glitch too, but cleared after a restart. The only other bug I've noticed is the clearing storage part of iPhone Storage in Settings is totally bugged. It crashes if you try to free up space in an app. Also double tap the back of the phone can be triggered by putting the phone down on the table, so going to just use triple tap!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 quiggs1000

It was mentioned that iOS14 would bring significant updates to Apple Maps for Ireland. Has anyone noticed a difference with the maps yet?

quiggs1000 wrote: »
    It was mentioned that iOS14 would bring significant updates to Apple Maps for Ireland. Has anyone noticed a difference with the maps yet?

Was that not to come later in the year?

There’s no eircodes yet so I hope this isn’t it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Yeah, they said later this year.

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/06/22/apple-maps-revamp-uk-ireland-canada/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Not having the Eircodes like Google Maps is a huge reason that i can't use Apple Maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 waffles85

I installed iOS 14 developer beta 14 on my secondary iPhone 6S first and had no issues so have install now on my main phone, an iPhone X. Absolutely no issues so far. Seems like they are more solid than previous early beta builds.

Worth mentioning that things can sometimes break as the betas go on, so even though everything might be smooth now there’s a chance apps can break down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 waffles85

DubDJ wrote: »
    Worth mentioning that things can sometimes break as the betas go on, so even though everything might be smooth now there’s a chance apps can break down the line.

Yeah I have seen that before. I notice that Sky Go is not working on iPhone or iPad now. App just dies on startup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Shn99 wrote: »
    Same has happened to me

Can you post a pic of the weather widget?

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Can you post a pic of the widget?

It comes back right after a while by itself. I’ve the wider one on the widget screen and the smallest one on the home screen and they’ll both go Cupertino at random times throughout the day, not necessarily at the same time, and they’ll then switch back.

Actually, they both are at the minute:

ykXkd6p.pngP6Z5s2f.jpg

I have noticed Viber on my phone doesn’t work properly.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I have noticed Viber on my phone doesn’t work properly.

What’s it doing? Or should I say not doing?

It seems fine on mine, though I have one group chat on it and nothing else (no calls or anything).

I had horrible battery drain with mine on the phone at the start but it ended up being the FordPass app since the update. Turned off the motion and fitness permission for it and I’d say it’s better now than it was on 13.x.

What’s it doing? Or should I say not doing?

It seems fine on mine, though I have one group chat on it and nothing else (no calls or anything).

I had horrible battery drain with mine on the phone at the start but it ended up being the FordPass app since the update. Turned off the motion and fitness permission for it and I’d say it’s better now than it was on 13.x.

If i go into a message you can’t scroll through or write a message, like it freezes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

It’s getting more like Windows Phone by the year...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

It’s getting more like Windows Phone by the year...

don't say that

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I always rather liked the look of Windows Phone actually.

• Advertisement

Apple will just do it right. Like the app clips thing too that never took off on Android. Maybe not here but there will definitely be better implementation and uptake overall.

Advertisement